“Beautiful historic hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Columbus, Ohio
“Beautiful historic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel is so amazing and I am glad we found it for our trip. The location is great, we walked around town and always found our way back to the hotel. It's right in the heart of Portland Maine, so there were many options for dining, shopping and drinking. The rooms were very nice and clean. Service was great, especially the complementary ride to the airport/ amtrak station. When we return next, we will stay again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JHert18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Scituate, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was our first stay at the Regency and our experience was great. Our check-in was quick and our room was well appointed. The bed was comfortable, the comforter was plush as were the bath towels, of which there were plenty. Little touches, like turndown service, along with chocolates and closing of the blinds made it feel like a cruise ship. We opted for the breakfast package and were pleased, but if you pass it up there are lots of places for breakfast in the immediate area. The location is the Regency's strongest draw to us. It is right in the middle of everything, a short walk to the Museum, the waterfront and Promenade Trail. There's lots of places for dinner and lunch that offer a wide variety of menus and prices. ( check tripadvisor for a good pick or ask at the valet station ) Grab a map at the desk and head out to the city, its walkable and interesting. We will definitely return

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I just returned from a four-night business trip stay at the Portland Regency and the hotel itself was probably the highlight of my visit. So comfortable, clean, classy...beautifully appointed rooms, wonderful bedding (none of those motel-like bedspreads--all sheets and comforters), excellent linens and bathrobes, and plenty of little touches that make your stay just that much more pleasant: turndown service (complete with bedtime chocolate and closed window shades), complimentary coffee/tea/pastry delivered to your door each morning (a big hit with my fellow business travelers), lots of bathroom amenities including a jar of cotton balls and swabs, and an all-around atmosphere of being well cared for. The downstairs bar was very pleasant for a predinner cocktails (didn't get a chance to eat a meal at the hotel). And as if this all was not enough, the location is amazing, right in the middle of the port of Portland, surrounded by cobblestone streets and numerous small shops and restaurants. Don't miss the Holy Donut shop around the corner for your morning fix!
Can't wait to return to Portland and this hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cmbiz553
Millbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Although this was my third time staying at the hotel, I was not offered any kind of upgrade or welcome back amenity. When I pointed this out to the manager she said "they don't do that kind of thing here, that they're not a chain hotel." Other than that one small service mishap, our stay was very good. The pub is very good. I would go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Regency is one of our favourite hotels in one of our favourite cities. The service is wonderful, from the "Welcome Back" when checking in to the complimentary coffee and pastries delivered to your room in the morning(on request) to the turn-down service in the evening. We've stayed three times and had the bed & breakfast package. The restaurant, 21 MIlk St, is cozy and the staff is super-friendly(John is one of our favourites). The food and service are second-to-none. We went for walks early both mornings and a sfaff member told us to have a nice walk or greeted us upon our return. We have never been disappointed when choosing the Regency.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shellie A
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Very comfortable bed, top of the line furnishings make this a great stay. They have a turn down service, turning back the bed coverings, fluffing pillows, and a mint on your pillow each night. Just a nice touch leaving you feel cared for. It doesn't just stop after check-in.
They have complimentary coffee and pastry delivered to your door each morning, what a great start to the day. These touches set them apart from other high end hotels and it doesn't go unnoticed.
Meeting rooms are very comfortable. We had coffee, fruit, cookies, pastries, etc. provided and again everything showed their attention to detail. Noon meals were there and it was all fresh and tasty.
It is located in the Waterfront District giving many options for great restaurants and unique shopping. Start to finish it was a great stay. Wouldn't hesitate to hold future meetings there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here while attending a weekend spring wedding in Portland. I chose this hotel based on location, price and earlier check-in compared to similarly priced hotels.

So....The location was perfect! It was just a short cab ride from the train station and within walking distance to all kinds of great downtown restaurants, coffee shops and tons of shopping. I arrived around lunchtime so stowed my bags at the hotel, grabbed lunch and did a little shopping before the early evening wedding. I had hoped to check in earlier than the 3pm check-in time but no luck.

I did check in right at 3pm and went up to my room on the 4th (top) floor. The room was very nice! I had a huge king bed, which I found to be very comfortable later that evening, a lovely balcony (view was ok, overlooking a parking lot, other balconies, but I could see the water if I looked over to the right). The bathroom was wonderful - huge shower and nice big counter top. Cons - the lighting was terrible - very dim so putting on makeup for the wedding was a little challenging, the hairdryer wasn't the best and it took forever to dry my hair, also the hair products in the shower were just ok - I don't care that you're not giving me the little individual bottles but at least give me great quality! I did really like that the thermostat and climate control in the room worked well (can't stand a hot hotel room), there were nice robes to wear around, a fridge, complimentary water and a big closet.

I was a little worried when I came back to the hotel late that night/next morning after the wedding because the downtown was definitely very crowded and loud - but the area around the regency was much more quiet - and I was glad I selected that hotel - a couple streets over is definitely much more active. Also, there was another wedding party lounging on the steps, in the lobby and other common areas and I was worried they would be loud, but my room was silent - so that was a definite plus!

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor!