“Great Time at the Portland Regency Hotel”

Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 9 October 2009

The hotel is in a FANTASTIC location with lots of great restaurants and nightlife nearby. The room was a bit on the small side. Due to our room's location in the hotel, the ceiling sloped near the window, so we didn't have much of a view. We didn't mind that, though, because we found it charming. We liked that in general about the hotel - that it wasn't cookie-cutter. Plus you can't say enough about the location!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
SLMTheRegency, Social Media Resource Consultant at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2009

Thank you for staying with us! We're so pleased that you found your room to be charming and that you appreciate the architectural uniqueness of our historic property.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2009

We stayed here for a wedding. The hotel is right in the middle of Portland and is within walking distance to lots of shops, bars and restaurants. They also have a free airport shuttle, which in our case was just a big SUV, which is a nice perk.

The hotel is a bit more traditional (decor-wise) than I'd usually pick out but I have to say, the customer service was excellent. We arrived a bit early for check in but would have been late to the ceremony if we had checked in at a normal time, but the very helpful staff arranged an early check in for us so we would have time to shower and get ready, which was much appreciated. Our room was sort of the basement (which was odd) but it was enormous and super comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We drove up from Boston to spend 2 nights at the Regency. The hotel is in a central location which makes it very easy to explore all of downtown Portland. The staff was great and our King room was spacious and clean. The hotel bar is perfect for a pre-dinner or after dinner drink ~ it was lively and packed solid around 11:00pm on a Saturday night. The healthclub is definitely adequate with free weights and numerous cardio machines. The spa was perfect for an afternoon massage and a steam. The rates are pretty reasonable compared to other hotel spas.

There are a lot of fantastic shopping opportunities and interesting stores to visit. There is an abundance of bars/pubs/restaurants ~ too many to name! We spent a lot of time just walking around and having a beer at different places. Lots of the pubs have outside patios and/or rooftop patios. Portland is a charming and unique town.. I highly recommend a visit.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzyjacuzzi
SLMTheRegency, Social Media Resource Consultant at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2009

We're so very glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Regency and it seems that you managed to experience every wonderful amenity that we have to offer.

The spa is a most excellent retreat within the hotel and we're often complimented on our amazing staff.

We do hope that the next time you're in Portland, you'll stay with us again. If the weather is nice, we'd encourage you to enjoy our Al-Fresco dining experience as well; as you know, there's nothing quite like sitting outside and enjoying both the Old Port scene and delicious food and beverages!

Reviewed 20 August 2009

When my husband and I travel to Portland we always stay at the Regency. The hotel has an excellent location in the Old Port within walking distance of shops, restaurants and theaters. The hotel has a great spa, parking and a very friendly staff. It is located in a historic building, our favorite rooms are the ones that overlook the front of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rose1011
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Just got back from a short stay in Portland and we elected to stay at the Portland Regency Hotel. Our first choice was the Portland Harbor Hotel, but they had no vacancy so we went with the PRH. We opted for the pay-in-advance deal to get the room for just $187, but be warned, you cannot cancel or modify this kind of reservation. The room was nicely decorated with a king sized bed, but a definite downside was that our window was an angled skylight instead of a proper window, so our view consisted of the sky overhead. The hotel staff and bellhops were very friendly and helpful with holding our luggage when we first arrived (as we got there before check-in time and the room wasn't quite ready), as well as the day we checked out. The fitness area of the hotel was great, with 3 treadmills, 4 elliipticals, a spinning bike, free weights, and weight machines--and did I mention all of the cardio equipment had personal TVs? No pool at the PRH, but they did have a jacuzzi that was part of the spa. we didn't end up having time to use it, but it could be a nice option. Perhaps the best part of staying at the PRH was our close proximity to Commercial St, Spring St, Middle St--basically the downtown area of Portland, with many restaurants, shops, and pubs. We ended up eating dinner at the hotel restaurant (called 20 Milk St) and it was fabulous, not to mention the $60 3-course prix fixe dinner for two (which included a glass of wine each, unheard of in Boston!). I would definitely stay here again, but I would request a room with a regular window next time so that we could enjoy the view.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluetrain84

Bluetrain84,

You bring up many good points in your review - thank you so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts on your recent stay.

Proximity to the local shops and pubs is just one great advantage to staying with us and it's one of the unique features of our small, boutique hotel. By being in the heart of the Old Port, we're able to support our local neighbors and recommend unique shops for our guests to visit.

We look forward to the next time we can be of service to you. We have many great packages in the coming months - including a holiday shopping spree that might be of interest to you.

Best Regards ~

Reviewed 9 August 2009

Not a bad hotel in some ways. Many of the staff were friendly and the room service food was tasty and reasonably priced relative to other hotels at which I've stayed.

The beef I had with the room itself was with the one window that faces UP (see picture). Not much of a view to be seen unless you don't mind sticking your head out of the roof. I'd recommend asking for a different style of room.

I also had a run in with one of the staff that caused me to give the overall stay a low rating.

One of the managers named Jen was kind enough to grant me a late checkout as long as I wouldn't "tell the rest of the group," but then was kurt on the phone when I wasn't out by the late check out time of 1pm. I would normally agree that being out by 1pm is completely reasonable.

The problem is, I was never informed of *when* a late checkout would be and with a 4:15pm flight, I planned to leave at 2:30pm. When I assured Jenn that I wasn't told the 1pm time, she was the judge, jury and executioner and said she'd have to charge me for anything past 1pm. After just getting out of the shower, I rushed and got out the door 15 minutes after she called.

This situation soured my otherwise nice stay with this hotel. I would have never overstayed my welcome and this put me in an uncomfortable position of doing so. I hope there are better options in Portland because it's a nice place otherwise.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank heel5man

heel5man,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than exemplary. We pride ourselves on a wonderful staff that goes out of their way to make every guest as comfortable as possible. I apologize for any misunderstanding surrounding your check-out and I hope during future stays we can meet your expectations of service.

As you likely know, our hotel is considered a historic property. As such, we must honor the architectural integrity of our building and our rooms are built to preserve the original style. Our skylight rooms are unique to our property and are definitely not for everyone. When you stay with us again, I encourage you to request a different style room that might feel more comfortable to you.

Again, I'm sorry to hear your recent stay was anything less than fantastic. Portland is a wonderful city and those that visit deserve the very best in both accommodations and service.

Best Regards ~

Reviewed 21 July 2009

Location is great. Staff was great. Because it was an armory building, don't expect large windows. Stayed one night in Executive suite 201 ($329) and second night in junior suite 118. ($309). Thought it was a lot of money for such a small town. The executive suite is sparsely furnished (ie not worth the money). Large room, small windows, and a love seat, not even a couch. The junior suite #118 is actually on the ground floor which I was initially worried about, but it turned out to be the best located room, close to the spa, private entrance (avoid the lobby), and quiet and out of the way. Room service was not impressive.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StephenRMorse
SLMTheRegency, Social Media Resource Consultant at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2009

Thank you for your kind words about both our location and our staff. While we're sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the furnishings in the Executive Suite, we are glad to know that you were so happy with your ground floor Junior Suite - being near the Spa is a definite plus and we hope you took full advantage of the sauna, steam and Jacuzzi, as well as the fitness studio, while you were our guest.

As you know, our property is part of the Historic Hotels of America, and as such, our building is rich in history. While there are not large windows in some of our rooms, due to the historical nature of the site itself, we hope that you found the atmosphere and layout of the building to be pleasant.

We welcome you to visit us again sometime soon. Winter in Maine is beautiful, and because it's off season, we're sure to have wonderful packages available.