“Thanksgiving Getaway Disaster”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Portland
MA
“Thanksgiving Getaway Disaster”
Reviewed 27 November 2009

This hotel seems quite high end when you first check in. The parking valets are
very good and very pleasant and helpful. However,as time moved on it turned out to be a
disaster.
My wife planned a Thanksgiving getaway for two days and this seemed like a great idea. On Thanksgiving morning we asked if we could be accomedated in the dining room and we were informed by a member of the wait staff thatfor guests of the hotel it shouldnt be a problem but they were full . However, someone would call our room or cell phone and take care of it.
We arrived back at the hotel at 11 am and I excused myself and asked the woman
at the podium about our seating for dinner. She informed me that she was aware of the situation and that there was one party ahead of us and that their lounge served Turkey dinner. I read this to mean I am very busy and cannot be bothered by a guest of the hotel. I tried to make he aware of my problem on two more instances but it was to no avail.
I then went to the front desk and explained the situation and again gained no ground. Then I asked the front desk person if she could reccomend a restaurant in the vacinity. She informed me that the only places open, one or two were casual burger type
places.
At this point in time my wife and I decided to leave the hotel even though we had al
ready paid for our second night. The same woman at the front desk made no effort to stop us from leaving or help us solve our problem.
She did keep repeating she was sorry and informing me that this hotel never gets
complaints. Is this a game or is she clueless?

1 Thank billy46water
SLMTheRegency, Social Media Consultant at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 December 2009
I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience over the Thanksgiving holiday and do hope that you'll give us another chance in the future.

With that said, I have investigated what transpired and would like to offer further explanation.

As you can imagine, our Thanksgiving dinner is quite a popular event, which is why we require reservations. At the time you requested accommodations in our restaurant, we were fully booked and had been for quite some time. Because you were a guest in the hotel, we were more than happy to try and accommodate you, and my understanding is that you and your wife were offered an earlier table, which you declined in favor of waiting for your preferred time.

When our restaurant manager realized that she was likely not going to be able to seat you at your requested time, she suggested you might consider dining in the Lounge - not because she was too busy to be bothered, but because she was considering your time and the wait that she knew you were facing.

Again, I would like to apologize on behalf of our hotel and am sorry that you felt the need to check-out early. I do hope that we'll have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Manchester, CT
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We've been coming to the Portland Regency (from Connecticut) for about 8 or 9 years now. We love the hotel and staff and it is our favorite place for R & R. The hotel itself is a historic one. We stayed for years in the rooms with skylights -- we found them charming but I can understand that not everyone would. The last few years we have opted for the Regency Suite -- reasonably priced in the off-season. The room is large and has a fireplace. The bathroom has a two-person jacuzzi. They have renovated many of the rooms (including the Suite) and have new and updated decor, linens, etc.
The staff here are incredible. In probably 20+ visits we have never had a bad experience. Everyone is friendly and helpful. We have found the bell/valet staff to be very energetic and efficient.
We LOVE the Armory Lounge. It is cozy and inviting and the food is varied and interesting. We eat breakfast at 20 Milk St. and love it there. We get there early and try to get the table in the dormer. Try the Eggs Benedict -- or a new Sunday Brunch offering, the Bananas Foster French Toast -- to die for. We've done dinner there as well, excellent service and wonderfull food.
I tried the spa this visit -- first time. The facility is comfortable and relaxing -- everyone was courteous and the massage was great.
Our room has a coffeemaker but I'm not sure if they're in all the rooms. They have coffee available in the lobby lounge from about 5 AM. I am actually very fussy and go around the corner to Starbucks. :)
Internet is great -- a few years back they had a little difficulty but an upgrade took care of that. All my devices -- computer, phone, ipod touch, etc. connect without a problem.
What else can I say? This is not a big hotel chain but it is so much more personal and the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. This is why we'll be back again and again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
SLMTheRegency, Social Media Consultant at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 December 2009
Dear Laura,

Thank you for your kind words! We truly love hearing from guests that take full advantage of all our hotel has to offer - from the Lounge to the Spa!

As a quick aside, I have to agree, the Bananas Foster French toast is one of the most delectable brunch items on the 20 Milk Street Menu.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Warmly,
The Staff at the Portland Regency Hotel and Spa
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff is friendly and accommodating (except that I could not get a coffee maker in the room.) We had a great stay. There is a convenient shuttle to take you to and from the train and airport. Really a nice place! The restaurant was very good as well, although I must comment that the service was actually too much. They need to calm down a litlle. Great place to stay, eat, relax!

Nova Scotia
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We stayed here for the first time and would certainly return. The location is right in the center of the Old Port and excellent for walking around the city. The service was wonderful. The room was lovely although as others have noted there did seem to be a fair bit of water noise in the pipes.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
New England
Reviewed 21 October 2009

The hotel is in an excellent location in the Old Port within walking distance of shops, restaurants and theaters. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. This is not a cookie cutter hotel; it is in a refurbish in a 100 year old Amory giving each room its own charm. Our room was very nice with great amenities. There are many great restaurants and bars to choice from, lots of little lobster restaurant which adds to the Maine charm. We had coffee and dessert at the Twenty Milk Street Restaurant which is in the hotel, very reasonably price and excellent quality. The highlight of our stay was watching two cruise ships come into the harbor; one of the ships was the ship we will be on in January an extra thrill.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
San Jose
Reviewed 17 October 2009

After a bad night at a local B&B, we switched to the Historic Regency for two nights, and enjoyed our stay. The staff was helpful, beds were comfy, and the bar & restaurant decent. No need for a car because you can walk to almost anything downtown. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 October 2009

The room was beautiful - very clean and well-maintained. Great fitness center and nice restaurant/lounge. The location of the hotel was very convenient.

I felt the customer service could have been better. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no one to assist us with transporting our luggage to our room. No assistance was even offered. I have stayed at other hotels in Portland (and across the country), and there is always someone to assist with the luggage. We arrived a little earlier than the check-in time, so I asked the front desk whether our bags could be held until the room was ready. I was shown a room near the front desk where the bags could be held, but I had to get them from the car myself and bring them to the room. While I was getting the bags out of the car, the valet seemed to be very impatient and did not offer me any assistance with the luggage.

Later, I had to go to the holding room and take all the bags to our guest room. I wasn't even offered a cart that I could use to transport the luggage.

The Regency is not exactly inexpensive, so I think it's only appropriate to expect some assistance with our luggage. Other hotels offer this kind of assistance, so I'm puzzled as to why The Regency would not offer this.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
I am so sorry to hear that you had difficulty with the transport of your luggage. You are correct in assuming that, if there is a valet present, you should be assisted. And on the occasion that our valets are transporting other guests to and from the airport and train station, there needs to be other measures in place to ensure that every guest is assisted with bags, every single time.

We appreciate your feedback and take it to heart, reviewing our procedures and improving them so another guest does not have the same experience.

I hope that while you were a guest in our hotel you were able to enjoy our other amenities such as the Lounge, Spa and 20 Milk Street, as well as our great city. As a hotel, we look forward to the opportunity to win back your loyalty in the future.

Warm Regards ~