“Best hamburger and best salad in Portland”
Review of District - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Maple St
Description: District invites guests with a classic; yet modern feel using warm tones, iron fixtures and deep cherry floors. The first floor bar is comfortable yet modern and sleek with a cherry bar top, black vinyl furnishing and white tile accents. Televisions are tuned to popular sporting events, but the volume remains off to encourage friendly conversation. The second floor dining room uses subtle shadowing and dark mahogany tabletops to create an intimate, yet relaxed dining environment to suit a special night out or a spontaneous gathering. Dramatic, elegant light fixtures and iron artwork by local artist Jonathan Bisby accent the warm, stylish atmosphere. Our menu offers classic and contemporary American fare, locally sourced, from artisan sources at a reasonable price. The upstairs dining boasts table seating for forty-five with bar seating for five, and the first floor features a 17 seat bar where we serve local artisan and domestic beer, hand crafted cocktails, and artisan wine.
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My partner and I are always saying that Portland has great restaurants, but it's hard to find a good burger here. Well, we look no more. As if that weren't enough, the salad with the mushrooms and the fried, soft-boiled egg was the best salad we have ever eaten. It doesn't look like it's on the summer menu, and I hope District brings it back. We are so thrilled that this place set up shop in our neighborhood. I also enjoyed the gnocchi and the cocktails.

Reviewed 9 June 2011

This place is a gem. The outside of the building would never let you know what a great upscale bar atmosphere is going on inside. The food was very good, even the vegetarian options, and that's not something you can always count on. If you like to sit at a bar, have a great drink and fabulous bar food, this is for you.
The service was average, but the atmosphere was really the hit.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

One would think that an 11 o'clock brunch reservation for six would allow for a certain leisurely pace. One would think that ordering a charcuterie plate with five choices would indicate a desire to talk and share the plate and savor the various offerings. Since the arrival of the food is largely in the control of the waitstaff, one would think that the main meal would not arrive exactly 30 seconds after delivery of the pate and cheese.One would also think that refills on coffee at a brunch would be offered. One would be wrong, very wrong. The food was great with a number of interesting choices, wonderfully presented. The pace at this not crowded time was not. If I wanted to eat in 30 seconds, I would have gone to Burger King. I will go back again because of the food. I will only hope that the waitstaff will understand the difference between timely attentive service and a foot race.

1  Thank Zeebart
Reviewed 30 March 2011

What a great place! Nice contenporary decor in a classic old building, fantastic service and outstanding food. And - hugely important for me - very sensitive to my garlic allergy. I truly enjoyed my dinner here. And the fried hen egg salad was delicious and very creative.

Try the skirt steak!