“excellent with nice atmosphere”
Review of District - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Maple St
Description: District invites guests with a classic; yet modern feel using warm tones, iron fixtures and deep cherry floors. The first floor bar is comfortable yet modern and sleek with a cherry bar top, black vinyl furnishing and white tile accents. Televisions are tuned to popular sporting events, but the volume remains off to encourage friendly conversation. The second floor dining room uses subtle shadowing and dark mahogany tabletops to create an intimate, yet relaxed dining environment to suit a special night out or a spontaneous gathering. Dramatic, elegant light fixtures and iron artwork by local artist Jonathan Bisby accent the warm, stylish atmosphere. Our menu offers classic and contemporary American fare, locally sourced, from artisan sources at a reasonable price. The upstairs dining boasts table seating for forty-five with bar seating for five, and the first floor features a 17 seat bar where we serve local artisan and domestic beer, hand crafted cocktails, and artisan wine.
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We went during Restaurant week and ate off the restaurant week limited menu – which is all that was offered except for some additions from the bar menu. It was our first visit – we try to go to new places during restaurant week. We loved the atmosphere – warm and welcoming bar area, and nice open upstairs. We added calamari from the bar menu for 4 of us to split, which was very good, but served with tartar sauce only. The starter options for restaurant week were mussel or a carrot & arugula salad. Both were excellent. I do not like fennel, and the mussels were cooked with fennel, garlic, etc, and it was very very well done so none of the seasoning was overdone – In spite of my hatred of fennel, I could have happily eaten the mussels instead of the excellent salad I ordered. 3 of us had GRILLED ARTIC CHAR- POTATO PUREE, ROASTED APPLE BUTTER SAUCE and one of us had CAVATELLI-DUCK AND PORK RAGU – all were excellent. We tried each of the three dessert options, which also were all excellent. The service was a little slow – it was definitely a 2 hour dinner, but we were enjoying ourselves so it was not a problem We will absolutely go here again when it is not restaurant week.

1  Thank swilliams7301

Reviewed 8 August 2011

When we walked up to the front of District, which I had read about online prior to our trip to Portland, we almost didn't go in. The outside looks a bit dodgy, with few windows and a generally plain looking building - like the outside of a seedy bar. But boy am I glad we opened the front door, because what we inside was a comfortable, modern space!

We sat upstairs, overlooking the downstairs (quiet) bar area and with a view to the left through the large opening into the kitchen and to the right out a large picture window looking out to Portland. We were quiet hungry and felt like we ate like kings. The duck tacos, the appetizer special, were delicious, as was the summer arugala salad we shared. I had a skirt steak which was cooked perfectly and not drowning in steak sauce like skirt steaks usually are. My husband had the salmon, which was juicy and also cooked well. For dessert we split the summer fruit crisp, which was filled mostly with peaches, apples and a few strawberries.

Our waitress was very friendly and it seemed to be a real neighborhood place - just the place we like to go when we're visiting a new city! If we returned to Portland, we'd definitely include District on our dining list.

1  Thank tuffy0317
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My partner and I are always saying that Portland has great restaurants, but it's hard to find a good burger here. Well, we look no more. As if that weren't enough, the salad with the mushrooms and the fried, soft-boiled egg was the best salad we have ever eaten. It doesn't look like it's on the summer menu, and I hope District brings it back. We are so thrilled that this place set up shop in our neighborhood. I also enjoyed the gnocchi and the cocktails.

Reviewed 9 June 2011

This place is a gem. The outside of the building would never let you know what a great upscale bar atmosphere is going on inside. The food was very good, even the vegetarian options, and that's not something you can always count on. If you like to sit at a bar, have a great drink and fabulous bar food, this is for you.
The service was average, but the atmosphere was really the hit.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

One would think that an 11 o'clock brunch reservation for six would allow for a certain leisurely pace. One would think that ordering a charcuterie plate with five choices would indicate a desire to talk and share the plate and savor the various offerings. Since the arrival of the food is largely in the control of the waitstaff, one would think that the main meal would not arrive exactly 30 seconds after delivery of the pate and cheese.One would also think that refills on coffee at a brunch would be offered. One would be wrong, very wrong. The food was great with a number of interesting choices, wonderfully presented. The pace at this not crowded time was not. If I wanted to eat in 30 seconds, I would have gone to Burger King. I will go back again because of the food. I will only hope that the waitstaff will understand the difference between timely attentive service and a foot race.

1  Thank Zeebart