“Surprised”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Congress
Description: James Beard nominated French Bistro in the heart of the Old Port.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I work for an authentic French company as was excited to try my first French restaurant. My bf and I ordered 5 appetizers, 2 entrees, and two desserts. 1.The lobster fettuccini which was so salty I couldn't believe it. 2.The shrimp cocktail was like a shrimp cocktail you would get anywhere, so it was good but wasn't served a special way. 3.The flat bread pizza was the best, which is disappointing at a FRENCH restaurant.
4.The cucumber salad was amazing though.
5.The frites with Aioli was okay. The duck with beans my bf got was okay.
6.The escargot was good.
7. The chocolate dessert was very rich but tasted like it came from a grocery store
8. The creme brûlée was average creme brûlée
I ran out of water and had to wait a while till the waiter came around which was horrible bc my main dish was SO salty. The service was mediocre. c2 squared in the westin hotel has way better food and service.

1  Thank Foodie7543
There are newer reviews for Petite Jacqueline

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Really liked this place for dinner. Started with a salad (mixed greens, lightly dressed) while I waited the 30 minutes that was required for the chicken. I ate at the counter and everyone around me was very friendly, especially when they learned this was my first Portland visit. Upscale crowd but in a low-brow Portland way. The chicken was perfect. Nice wine suggestion from the bartender. Would I return? Absolutely.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

After a week long visit to Maine, we were ready for a "date night" that did not include lobster. I located Petite Jacqueline and we made a reservation. I opted for the chicken, pea soup, and a delicious dessert. My husband had duck. I thought that everything was well prepared. We even bought their rose in a carafe and it was fine. We had a relaxing, enjoyable evening and felt like we had made a good decision.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

What a great French bistro. Everything you could ask for. From the baguettes to the lapin, chicken, duck confit. All were excellent. The onion soup and steak tartare were to die for. The salad was perfectly seasoned. Felt like we were in Paris. Only complaint was they were a bit heavy on the salt on the duck but the beans were so perfect it made up for it.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The duck confit was fantastic, the calico beans on which they were served were just okay. Some of them were underdone. They would not substitute a side on the steak frites for one of my dining companions. While the price was not exorbitant, it was a touch high for the overall quality of the meal, in my opinion.

1  Thank Rebecca L