“Expensive For What You Get”

Zapoteca Restaurante & Tequileria
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My friend and I came here for the first time. First of all chips and salsa are $8. We ordered that and it was tasty. My friend ordered tacos and thought they were very good ($14). I had the Caesar salad with grilled chicken. The salad was $11 without the chicken and $14 with the chicken. I ordered it with the chicken. The salad was a whole stalk of romaine grilled with the end cut off on a long skinny plate. On top of the romaine they sprinkled a few seeds and topped it with a good amount of grilled chicken. I asked for the dressing on the side. It was a small amount in a tiny cup. The menu mentioned cotija cheese but my salad had NO cheese. The salad was difficult to eat the way it was served and it really wasn't appealing having grilled chicken plopped on charred lettuce. My friend had the flourless chocolate cake which was excellent. So, with the tip it was $46.00 (no drinks we only had water). I thought this was incredibly expensive for what we had, I really have no desire to go back.

There are newer reviews for Zapoteca Restaurante & Tequileria

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Not traditional Mexican -- outstanding complex cooking. I had a halibut dish that melted in my mouth, while my husband's bbq ribs were sweet with a hint of fire. The steamed mussels appetizer was so good that I would go back just for those. The menu did offer some chiles rellenos and enchiladas, but we didn't even try them. The server was knowledgeable about the menu, could describe the dishes well, and was thoroughly professional in the way she noted what we needed without hovering. My husband loved the blood orange margaritas -- said they were the best he'd ever had. The wine list was carefully chosen to complement the food, and wines by the glass were generous pours. All in all it was a fabulous meal and very happy experience. I can't wait to get back to Portland so I can eat there again.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was our second visit to Zapoteca in Portland. The first time we had the same impression as what I will describe below, but the restaurant was new at the time and so we thought we'd give it a second chance. This time our service was great and the drinks were decent. Not amazing, but decent. The entrees were.....bland. We marveled at how bland they were, which seems insane given that it's mexican food that we're talking about here. The prices are too high for the quality of food, especially in a city like Portland where you can get great meals for much less money. My only other gripe was that, despite our reservation, we were seated in the bar for some reason. They had a pretty robust happy hour crowd and it got pretty loud, not in the nice "oh wow this place is really buzzing" kind of way but in the "that man is yelling really loud and is being obnoxious" kind of way. It was difficult to justify a $100 dinner at a place that doesn't ask their loud patrons to quiet down so that everyone can enjoy their meal.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The place was empty at 2 pm
The bartender/waitress was nice but we asked for corner window table
Set us in one next to it
So we moved to corner window
Remember place was empty
Asked for one cocktail brought another
Asked for one beer brought wrong one

Food was quite tasty
Had some chips with 3 types salsa, yummy

Has fish tacos, $10 , very good price

Wife had scallops ...tasty

2 apps 2 entrees, 3 drinks
$80.... Lil high for lunch

I'd go again although some of the dishes/glasses could have been cleaner

Reviewed 24 January 2014

When you hear the sound of cocktails being shaken you are close! The servers would come around the corner shaking the drinks, it makes you want to clap! The guacomole was out of this world! Great wine, great food and great service!