We stayed here this past Saturday night to finish up Christmas shopping and take the kids out of town for the night. The location of the hotel is decent - a short walk to Commercial Street - although not quite as conveniently located as The Regency, Hilton Garden Inn and the Portland Harbor Hotel. That being said, they did offer us a free shuttle to dinner, which was nice since it was relatively cold that evening, and would have picked us up if we had called but we opted to walk back. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful - from the front desk, to valet to Norman at breakfast. The layout of the lobby is a bit cumbersome since if there is a line to check in a bottleneck quickly forms. Otherwise the hotel is very nice and extremely clean. The beds were heavenly (my 7-year-old said it was the most comfortable bed he has ever slept in) and the bathrooms were on the larger size. Our room also included a small refrigerator and microwave. The duvets are thick and warm, which was handy since the ENTIRE hotel was out of heat. We discovered this upon returning to our room after swimming in the pool (which is on the small side and sorely missing a hot tub for parents to relax in while kids are swimming). The front desk quickly called maintenance when we reported the issue and gave us keys to another room, however; upon inspection that room was without heat as well. They finally realized that it was a hotel-wide situtation so we hunkered down with extra blankets shortly before midnight (which was a bit late with three children in tow). Apparently the company that installed the heating system is located in New Hampshire. Upon checking out at 10:30 a.m. they STILL were not there working on the system, which is ridiculous given that the problem was discovered around 10:00 p.m. They did offer the kids free snacks and said they would redeem our Hilton Honors points so we will see......The food at breakfast was adequate but the space is definitely on the small side to accommodate a full hotel. We ended up sharing a seat with another gracious couple (who I'm sure hadn't intended to spend their breakfast with us and three children). Norman, who attends to breakfast, is very personable and made a point of chatting with the kids. Unfortunately, many of the items needed restocking, like plastic utensils, butter, cups, etc (although, in fairness, it was approaching the end of breakfast hours). And they don't mess around with closing time - at 10:00 a.m. the doors were shut to the breakfast room so you couldn't get refills or additional food items. Not a big concern since were were finished anyway but others were just getting there. I think they should consider extending the hours on the weekend for people choosing to relax and sleep in. The attached Sebago Bay Brewing Company is a great feature of this hotel! We went for drinks prior to dinner and the kids watched fireworks from the window seat. We didn't try the food since we were taking the kids to Fuji but the menu has a great selection and seemed very reasonably priced. Great draft beers too!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hampton Inn® Portland/Downtown - Waterfront hotel is nestled in the city's Old Port District and offers breathtaking views of lovely Casco Bay and the historic waterfront. Stroll along the cobblestone streets as you explore the many boutiques, museums, galleries and bustling cafes. There's so much to see and do within walking distance of our Portland hotel! Valet parking only onsite $20 per night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront Hotel Portland
- Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront Maine