“Great location!”

Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is a great location for the old port. Walk to shopping and eating with no problem! Pool was awesome for the kids. Daily hot tea and coffee available all day. Rooms clean! Front desk very friendly. You do have to use valet parking at this location due to location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Becky R
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you so much for the nice review of your stay with us. It sounds like you had a great stay and thats what its all about. Please come see us again soon.

Pete Wagner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,531)

Reviewed 20 August 2012

This Hampton Inn is near the waterfront, has an airport shuttle, fresh apples always available, good breakfasts; very helpful staff. If the shuttle is not on an airport run, the valet will take you and pick you up from restaurants and museums. Also,Taxis in Portland are not expensive, and the drivers don't mind short trips to attractions and restaurants that are just a mile away---have the valet call one for you.

Room Tip: Even a room facing the street on a weekday, was very quiet!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Bee021

Thanks for the great review of your visit to our city and of your stay at our hotel. We are honored you elected to stay with us. Please come visit again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

It's hard to believe the prices of hotels and B&B’s in Portland during the summer. Nearly $310 for our one night stay (including tax and valet parking)! Normally, for that price, I'd expect to be in NY or London. Still, it’s comparable to all the lodging in the area and this hotel was quite good. Great location. Very clean. The rooms were contemporary, which was nice. Bed was super comfortable. The valet parking at an additional $15/day is steep, but you can come and go as you please. Even after we checked out, they let us keep the car there while we wandered around the old port area and had lunch. We also took advantage of the shuttle service and they happily and promptly dropped us off for our dinner reservation. The breakfast that was included was fairly standard, but some nice additions (waffle iron, hot oatmeal with toppings, scrambled eggs, ham and home fries). Still, as another reviewer commented, you don’t really want to fill up here when you can go to Duck Fat or some other great place for lunch. Would likely return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank TOfoodie

Thank you for the nice review of your stay with us in Portland. Glad you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

I stayed here last month -- my first time to Maine and my first stay in a Hampton Inn. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about staying in a Hampton Inn but this property was rated on this site as #1 so I figured I'd give it a try. It was very nice. It's an excellent location at one end of the Old Port area and just across from the ferry terminal. The property seems very new, the rooms were clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. Parking is only by valet and $15 a day but they are very quick to bring your car around. If you are a soap/shampoo snob, you should bring your own. It's a Hampton Inn.

When we checked in, the desk clerk told me that the breakfast was really good. I don't know if it's a standard Hampton Inn breakfast or not but the food was actually very nice considering it is complimentary. There's so much good food in Portland that I'm not sure I'd want to fill up on this but you could very easily. The waffle iron where you can make your own waffle is a nice touch.

All in all, an excellent stay and a terrific value. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DonutLover
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us and thank you for the nice review. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Other than the preposterous prices for the rooms, this is one of the better Hampton Inns I've seen. Rooms are on the small side, but bright, clean, modern and welcoming. The beds were good, as Hamptons promise, even if they don't always deliver. The location was excellent with the port and heart of downtown minutes away on foot and terrific restaurants on the same block. We were very much at home during our stay here.

My wife mentions that the laundry machines available for guests are really good ones.

Like another reviewer, I'd also like to mention Margaret for her outstanding efforts to make us feel at home. Other staff was also solid and the valet guys were great.

Come when the price is right, though. Hotel prices in New England this summer make me wonder if the day is coming where travel is only for corporate travelers and the wealthy.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank megria
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel and staff, and for mentioning Margaret. She will be thrilled you thought highly enough of her service level to be remembered.

We appreciate that you elected to stay with us. Please come see us again.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

A freind and I went for a long weekend and the staff at the hotel were great. Even the manager was standing there and was helping us with a map and how to find places. Also they have a shuttle that will take you places too. the room were so clean. I think that it is one of the cleanest hotels I have been to. When I go back I will definitely.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank KATHY1055

Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel and staff. I will certainly share your comments about the cleanliness of your guest room with our Executive Housekeeper. She will be excited. Thank you again for staying with us and please come see us again.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night when there was a big concert venue in town.
The whole city was extremely busy. (Crazy busy!)
The staff at this Hampton "stepped up to the plate" to meet everyone's needs.
I need to mention Margaret in particular who went above and beyond to make sure that our room was ready.
the facility is new ... which is always nice. The location is great.
$15.00 valet parking because it was built/tucked into a populated area.
As with other reviews, is it near the water, not "on the water." It is a great location to be in downtown Portland.
If you are not familiar with downtown Portland ... the "waterfront/Commercial Street" area is a very neat place to visit with many unique shops and great seafood restaurants. (It is not an ocean/beach area.) It is a harbor.
As far as price goes? Yep .... pricy but no different than other hotels in the area.
Many years ago, one of my children looked up at me and asked, "why do they charge so much for that?" I smiled down at her and said, "because they can." (She looked at me confused and walked away.)
If you have a few extra bucks for a get away ... you will not be disappointed with this hotel.
We would stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eulalia_3
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thank you for a really great review and thank you for mentioning Margaret. I will print out your review and share it with her. She will be thrilled.

We appreciate your kind words and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.