“Great New Place to Stay in Portland”

Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Woolwich, Maine
“Great New Place to Stay in Portland”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night on the way to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. We were excited to try it because it is so new and right in the Old Port. It is true, they only offer valet parking, but as others have said, they are very quick. The front desk staff, while efficient enough, was a little bit abrupt. I asked for a wine glass to use in our room and they said that they didn't have any. That is the first time I have not been able to get a wine glass at a hotel, but it is a minor detail.

The room was very clean and modern. The TV was one of the biggest I have seen in a hotel room. I thought the bed was very comfortable, and most important, I did not hear any noises during the night - no slamming doors, no loud guests, etc. I am a very light sleeper and a quiet room is important. No issues there.

We did not eat breakfast at the hotel, although my husband has eaten at the adjacent restaurant (Sebago Brewing Company) before and he enjoyed it. I have also eaten at one of their sister restaurants in the Scarborough area and it was a good experience.

For $279 (plus tax, and valet) on a weekend in August, I feel that we got a fair deal. The hotel is definitely in walking distance of many shops, restaurants, etc. in Portland, and it is pretty easy to get to from the highway. When we spend another overnight in the Old Port area, this will be my first choice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
I apologize to you for us not fullfilling your wine glass request. We actually sell wine and have wine glasses as well, so I am at a loss as we were not able to assist you.

Thank you so much for the nice review. I am really glad you enjoyed the hotel and our fine City. Please come visit again soon. I will certainly have a wine glass waiting for you!

Pete Wagner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Great hotel right downtown .So you can shop Close to all the restaurants .Very clean and a huge room .Friendly staff .the shuttle driver is very helpfull and willing to give a lot of info on portland. free breakfast buffet very nice great hotel

Room Tip: Stay if your taking train or bus
1 Thank plcSaintJohn_Canada
Thank you for the nice review of your stay with us. And thank you for the comments about the friendly staff. We have more and more guests who stay with traveling by train since the station is just a short drive from the hotel. Please come see us again soon.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is a great location for the old port. Walk to shopping and eating with no problem! Pool was awesome for the kids. Daily hot tea and coffee available all day. Rooms clean! Front desk very friendly. You do have to use valet parking at this location due to location.

1 Thank Becky R
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you so much for the nice review of your stay with us. It sounds like you had a great stay and thats what its all about. Please come see us again soon.

New Por Richeyy, Florida, USA
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This Hampton Inn is near the waterfront, has an airport shuttle, fresh apples always available, good breakfasts; very helpful staff. If the shuttle is not on an airport run, the valet will take you and pick you up from restaurants and museums. Also,Taxis in Portland are not expensive, and the drivers don't mind short trips to attractions and restaurants that are just a mile away---have the valet call one for you.

Room Tip: Even a room facing the street on a weekday, was very quiet!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Bee021
Thanks for the great review of your visit to our city and of your stay at our hotel. We are honored you elected to stay with us. Please come visit again soon.

Toronto
Reviewed 13 August 2012

It's hard to believe the prices of hotels and B&B’s in Portland during the summer. Nearly $310 for our one night stay (including tax and valet parking)! Normally, for that price, I'd expect to be in NY or London. Still, it’s comparable to all the lodging in the area and this hotel was quite good. Great location. Very clean. The rooms were contemporary, which was nice. Bed was super comfortable. The valet parking at an additional $15/day is steep, but you can come and go as you please. Even after we checked out, they let us keep the car there while we wandered around the old port area and had lunch. We also took advantage of the shuttle service and they happily and promptly dropped us off for our dinner reservation. The breakfast that was included was fairly standard, but some nice additions (waffle iron, hot oatmeal with toppings, scrambled eggs, ham and home fries). Still, as another reviewer commented, you don’t really want to fill up here when you can go to Duck Fat or some other great place for lunch. Would likely return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank TOfoodie
Thank you for the nice review of your stay with us in Portland. Glad you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. Please come see us again soon.

Honolulu, HI
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I stayed here last month -- my first time to Maine and my first stay in a Hampton Inn. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about staying in a Hampton Inn but this property was rated on this site as #1 so I figured I'd give it a try. It was very nice. It's an excellent location at one end of the Old Port area and just across from the ferry terminal. The property seems very new, the rooms were clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. Parking is only by valet and $15 a day but they are very quick to bring your car around. If you are a soap/shampoo snob, you should bring your own. It's a Hampton Inn.

When we checked in, the desk clerk told me that the breakfast was really good. I don't know if it's a standard Hampton Inn breakfast or not but the food was actually very nice considering it is complimentary. There's so much good food in Portland that I'm not sure I'd want to fill up on this but you could very easily. The waffle iron where you can make your own waffle is a nice touch.

All in all, an excellent stay and a terrific value. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DonutLover
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and thank you for the nice review. Please come see us again soon!

SF Bay Area
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Other than the preposterous prices for the rooms, this is one of the better Hampton Inns I've seen. Rooms are on the small side, but bright, clean, modern and welcoming. The beds were good, as Hamptons promise, even if they don't always deliver. The location was excellent with the port and heart of downtown minutes away on foot and terrific restaurants on the same block. We were very much at home during our stay here.

My wife mentions that the laundry machines available for guests are really good ones.

Like another reviewer, I'd also like to mention Margaret for her outstanding efforts to make us feel at home. Other staff was also solid and the valet guys were great.

Come when the price is right, though. Hotel prices in New England this summer make me wonder if the day is coming where travel is only for corporate travelers and the wealthy.

2 Thank megria
newtomaine12, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel and staff, and for mentioning Margaret. She will be thrilled you thought highly enough of her service level to be remembered.

We appreciate that you elected to stay with us. Please come see us again.