Reading all the other reviews, I've thought long and hard about mine as I'm posting an 'average'. The location for me was average, easy to reach off the interstate but not a 'waterfront' waterfront location, you need a brisk walk - or a telescope - to get there. Characterful it isn't. And I agree it's not worth paying for a view of the water - unless you unpack that telescope.
The 'valet' parking charge, although we knew about it up front, is still a little unwelcome particularly when there's acres of (again private) parking across the street. We checked in and asked for our Hilton Honors points to be added (we had booked through a third party). 'Computer says no' (it was the manager's decision actually) said the reception guy. Why not? Every other HI we've stayed in has managed it.
Anyway, a further directive was to follow from reception as they summoned me from my room to hand over the car keys to enable the car to be valet parked as it was 'in the way'. Their idea of 'in the way' and mine are obviously different particularly when we had told reception that we were just heading out to eat after dumping the bags and freshening up. Staff were generally busy during our admittedly one night stay and the personal touch so evident in other Hampton Inns, for us was missing here.
I also agree with another reviewer that the air conditioning system in the room needs some explanation. The controls in ours seemed to have a mind of their own, pumping warm air into an already stuffy room in the wee small hours. Difficult to rectify and to reduce the temperature, an explanation in the room information folder of how it works would be useful.
A busy breakfast time and a full house saw us perched on the central communal 'bar' table which resulted in, as others left, a member of staff clearing, spraying and wiping around us - not ideal for a relaxed start to the day.
We recovered our car from the valet - he was very cheery and helpful - and left. No one on check out asked us whether 'everything was ok' and there was a few behind us so it seemed pointless to explain. On the day, the uppishly priced Hampton Inn at downtown Portsmouth didn't impress us that much. Sorry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hampton Inn® Portland/Downtown - Waterfront hotel is nestled in the city's Old Port District and offers breathtaking views of lovely Casco Bay and the historic waterfront. Stroll along the cobblestone streets as you explore the many boutiques, museums, galleries and bustling cafes. There's so much to see and do within walking distance of our Portland hotel! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront Hotel Portland
- Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront Maine