“Love Portland”

Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Hampton Inn in Portland is a great place to stay. Right in the heart of the Old Port. We were coming up to enjoy a birthday dinner at Fore Street and were looking for a nearby place to stay. The Hampton Inn is very clean. Nice room with a view of the harbor. It was an added bonus that Sebago Brewery is in the lobby. They make some nice beers! They do not let you take a glass of beer back to your room, but they are happy to sell bottles to take upstairs. They have a nice menu as well. Pool and fitness center are your average hotel style offerings. They offer a free breakfast and parking is valet at $15/day which seems a little steep but seems to be the norm here in Portland now.

Stayed: March 2014
Pete W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

We appreciate that we were part of your visit to Portland. Dinner at Fore Street? Nice!

Please come visit us again soon. We would be honored to be of service.

Pete Wagner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,546)

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stay in Portland on a regular basis to visit my boyfriend. Usually I stay in one of the many wonderful b&b in the area but they were all booked so I was forced to choose a major chain hotel. I decided on Hampton downtown because of the location and somewhat reasonable price. When I booked over the phone I made a point to ask if I would be charged immediately or after checkout and explained that my card didn't have enough, they assured me I was all set and could switch the card to my boyfriends before checkout. I arrived after my long drive ready to take a shower and relax until my boyfriends shift ended. Well wouldn't you know they need to put a hold on the card at check in for the full amount. This contradicted what I was told initially and the woman refused to check me in. I explained the miscommunication to her and asked if I could speak to someone that could override this. She says "hold on" curtly and I sit down to wait. A good 20 minutes later I'm still sitting there and she is pretending I don't exist. I ask if anyone was coming and she then informs me there are no managers on site but they would "say the same thing anyway". Well, thanks mentioning that after I wasted my time waiting. You would think customer satisfaction would mean a bit more to the company than that. I recommend booking in advance and staying at a owner run b&b where service actually means something.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank nikkileigh043

I apologize to you for the misunderstanding about our check-in requirements and especially that you had to wait in our lobby for an extended period of time. I can assure you we do care greatly about customer service and work very hard at exceeding the expectations of our guests. Unfortunately, we did not even meet your expectations and I do apologize for your inconvenience.

We do require a form of payment from our guests at check-in. Once that form of payment is presented to us we varify that there are sufficient funds to cover the anticipated charges and a hold on that amount takes place. A guest can change the form of payment he or she wants to use at any time. If a guest does elect to present us with an alternate form of payment the hold on the original form of payment will drop from his or her original account.

Thank you for your review of your recent visit. I hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.

Pete Wagner

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Hampton Inns can have a variable experience. This place was new and nicely located. Staff was absolutely wonderful. Wish breakfast was a bit more substantial, but there is a nice restaurant attached for dinner. Especially nice when the weather was absolutely frigid. Rooms were clean and spacious and good for working. Valet parking was prompt. Overall, a great experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2014

With the exception of the softest, most unsupportive pillows I have ever had this is a great hotel, very clean, excellent condition and it was quiet for my 1 night. The location by the water is great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed with my boyfriend at the Hampton Inn for two nights to explore the city. It was a great pick! It was one of the lower prices to stay in the city, and the hotel was walking distance to everything. The room and hotel overall were very clean. All of the staff was super friendly, especially the valet workers! Sebago Brewing Co was very yummy and open late. I would definitely recommend staying here while in Portland. We will be back!

Room Tip: We didn't pay the extra for the "view", and I was not disappointed with our view of th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NHTeacherTravels
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Great hotel! One of the nicest Hampton Inn's that we've ever stayed. Great views, beautiful room, and very comfortable bed! Staff was very friendly. Walking distance to the ports, and very close to plenty of restaurants and bars. Truly enjoyed our time here and would stay again the next time we come back!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel was excellent. Room was clean and no smell. Walking distance to waterfront. Felt area to be very safe. Restaurant attached had good pub food at reasonable prices. Worth paying the extra for valet parking.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple