“Great stay in Portland, ME”

Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Providence, United States
“Great stay in Portland, ME”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Excellent, clean hotel. Walking distance to restaurants, waterfront, shops, micro-brewries. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Breakfast had surprising variety and everything was delicious. Brown bag breakfast available if you didn't have time for full meal. Bed had waterview which was beautiful! Will definitely stay again! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Elise S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Yes, it's a chain. But, the hotel is lovely and is located a block from the waterfront in the beautiful Old Port section of Portland. Many rooms have views of Casco Bay. Just a block or two from the main commercial strip Exchange Street, and right down the street from one of the best comic-book stores in the world--Casablanca Comics! The hotel is also surrounded by great cafés and restaurants. The public areas and rooms are very well-maintained and the hotel looks brand-spanking new on the inside. Staff is super-friendly. Brooke was incredibly nice and helpful and, when she heard us discussing our sugar cravings, directed us to two of the best baked-good joints in the neighborhood: Two Fat Cats & The Holy Donut! Excellent recommendations! I'm still in a sugar-coma. Free and abundant breakfast & valet parking too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marie C
Rockport, United States
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Great hotel located in the center of downtown; within walking distance to most everything. Hotel was clean and updated; staff was very helpful and friendly. Great complimentary breakfast provided, not just muffins/bagels etc.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Amanda B
rocky hill, CT USA
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We visit Portland often, this was our first time here. Very nice! Front desk and valet staff open and friendly. Check in was quick and no problems.
The room was white glove clean, and the decor and furniture nice comfortable and modern. We had a room facing the newer ferry terminal, and could watch the boats on Casco Bay, nice enough!
Breakfast was good, nothing spectacular, but tasty and a decent selection. Sebago Brew pub is on the first floor, so that is nice!
We will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cathy h
Pete W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your recent stay in Portland. Our Housekeeping staff will be thrilled with your comment about the room being "white glove clean".

Please come visit us again in the near future.

Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We often visit the Portland area and have typically chosen to stay in Freeport. We were travelling home from Boston via train and decided to stay in downtown Portland as an alternative to the Freeport "shopping style" stay. We arrived early evening and it was our 6th day of travelling with our teenage kids. We asked if they had a "large" room and a cot when we arrived. We were absolutely delighted with the room (324) and it had lots of space for a cot and for all of us to spread out. We had supper at the Sebago Brewery Restaurant in the hotel (which they gave us a 10% off coupon for) and the food and service was excellent. The breakfast area was spotless and it was warmed up by a lovely fireplace. We were able to get on the running trail and had an excellent run around the bay (~6miles). A great spot for the family and to enjoy the more historic parts of Portland and enjoy a great run. The service was excellent, the hotel was spotless, and the location was perfect. We will be back.

Room Tip: We asked for a larger room, as a family of 4 with 2 teenagers, space helps. We had room 324 and foun...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words concerning your recent visit with us. Especially appreciate the comment we have a helpful staff. Please come see us again the next time Portland is on your travel plans.

Rocky Hill, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

The Hampton Inn in Portland is a great place to stay. Right in the heart of the Old Port. We were coming up to enjoy a birthday dinner at Fore Street and were looking for a nearby place to stay. The Hampton Inn is very clean. Nice room with a view of the harbor. It was an added bonus that Sebago Brewery is in the lobby. They make some nice beers! They do not let you take a glass of beer back to your room, but they are happy to sell bottles to take upstairs. They have a nice menu as well. Pool and fitness center are your average hotel style offerings. They offer a free breakfast and parking is valet at $15/day which seems a little steep but seems to be the norm here in Portland now.

Stayed March 2014
We appreciate that we were part of your visit to Portland. Dinner at Fore Street? Nice!

Please come visit us again soon. We would be honored to be of service.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stay in Portland on a regular basis to visit my boyfriend. Usually I stay in one of the many wonderful b&b in the area but they were all booked so I was forced to choose a major chain hotel. I decided on Hampton downtown because of the location and somewhat reasonable price. When I booked over the phone I made a point to ask if I would be charged immediately or after checkout and explained that my card didn't have enough, they assured me I was all set and could switch the card to my boyfriends before checkout. I arrived after my long drive ready to take a shower and relax until my boyfriends shift ended. Well wouldn't you know they need to put a hold on the card at check in for the full amount. This contradicted what I was told initially and the woman refused to check me in. I explained the miscommunication to her and asked if I could speak to someone that could override this. She says "hold on" curtly and I sit down to wait. A good 20 minutes later I'm still sitting there and she is pretending I don't exist. I ask if anyone was coming and she then informs me there are no managers on site but they would "say the same thing anyway". Well, thanks mentioning that after I wasted my time waiting. You would think customer satisfaction would mean a bit more to the company than that. I recommend booking in advance and staying at a owner run b&b where service actually means something.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank nikkileigh043
I apologize to you for the misunderstanding about our check-in requirements and especially that you had to wait in our lobby for an extended period of time. I can assure you we do care greatly about customer service and work very hard at exceeding the expectations of our guests. Unfortunately, we did not even meet your expectations and I do apologize for your inconvenience.

We do require a form of payment from our guests at check-in. Once that form of payment is presented to us we varify that there are sufficient funds to cover the anticipated charges and a hold on that amount takes place. A guest can change the form of payment he or she wants to use at any time. If a guest does elect to present us with an alternate form of payment the hold on the original form of payment will drop from his or her original account.

Thank you for your review of your recent visit. I hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.