“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Portland
New Milford, Connecticut
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We only stayed here 1 night. The room was clean. The staff was accommodating and courteous when we asked to change rooms. The pool was very small and there is only valet parking. The breakfast and 24 hour coffee/tea station were very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Pete W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
And it was nice having you stay with us. Please come see us again the next time Portland is in your plans!

Pete Wagner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Ambler, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My first review on TA because this hotel was just perfect for our stay. WONDERFUL location; steps away from the BEST restaurants, shopping and waterfront and withing walking distance of SO many other things as well. Room was comfortable and clean, with a microwave, too. 4 hours of very good buffet breakfast that was continuously attended to and kept stocked and clean, with very nice eating area. Cute computer room near buffet, with free Wi-Fi access and coffee and hot chocolate for the taking. Front desk could not have been more helpful and friendlier if they tried and the free shuttle is awesome. They take you wherever you want to go and give you their card for you to call and have them pick you up, too. Can't go wrong here!

Room Tip: We paid extra to have a room with a view and it was so worth it! We got to see the ships on the wat...
3 Thank Books420
Pete W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thanks for the nice comments. We are glad you had a great time in our City. Come see us again please.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My experience with this hotel started with the hotel shuttle picking me up at the airport. When I called I was told the van would arrive in 15 minutes. After 25 minutes the van arrived. I got in and then waited. I got out and asked the driver why we were waiting. He stated another guest had called and he was waiting on them. Shortly thereafter, the guest presented herself and stated they were waiting on luggage. The rule is that you call after you have your luggage and are ready to go. The driver should have informed the other guest that since I had now been waiting 45 minutes since my call, that he would take me and return for them. Instead, we waited. An hour after I called, I finally arrived at the hotel.
The front desk person checking me in offered no welcome as is customary for my diamond status. She gave me keys and off I went. I was given a room with a view of an alley, dumpsters and a bank of a/c units on a roof. For my diamond status and the price of this room, I expected better.
Later I walked to a restaurant to eat dinner. When I came out, there was a terrible storm. I phoned the hotel to ask for a lift back and was told the driver was out and it would be 15-20 minutes. Fortunately, the storm passed within about 10 minutes so I was able to walk back.
In the morning, I phoned the front desk to state I needed a ride to the airport at 11:00 and asked what I needed to do to ensure a van would be available. I was told I had a reservation for 11 and no problem. Well, there was a problem. The van was out and arrived back at 11:15.
If this hotel is offering airport rides and lifts around town, there needs to be two vans and two drivers available.
This was my first and last time staying at this hotel. I will return to the Hilton garden inn downtown. My experiences there have met my expectations.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank JMWtrave
Pete W, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel during your recent visit to Portland. I apologize to you for the level of service you received, clearly not the type of service our staff prides itself on delivering. Tom, our valet, should have driven you to the hotel immediately upon realizing the guest you waited for had not retreived his/her luggage prior to calling the hotel for a ride.

As a valued customer of our hotel and Hilton Honors you certainly should have been recognized at check in, at the very least.

Obviously, , as the leader of our staff, it is my responsibility to set protocol for the van service we provide and for celebrating the privledge of hosting a Diamond Hilton Honors member at our hotel.

Clearly a review of the van protocol needs to take place with our valet staff and time needs to be spent with the front desk staff reminding those members how important Hilton Honors members are to our hotel. Those two meetings will take place immediately.

I do sincerely apologize to you for our staff not meeting your expectations while a guest at our hotel.

Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very friendly staff, nice rooms and breakfast. Sebago is a pub right next door that is quite good.
It is a perfect location in Portland. We found it convenient for everything we needed to do!
We will stay there again when in Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dayle M
Thank you so much for your nice comments of the city and our valet staff. We are happy you enjoyed Portland and would be pleased to be of service to you in the future.

Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for the last two nights of our vacation in Maine and I couldn't have been happier with the stay, the service and the location. We paid extra for a room with a view, so could watch ships and ferries moving in and out of the harbor - it was well worth the extra price. The room was comfortable and included a fridge and microwave. The breakfast, which was included, had a good deal of variety, offering different options the two mornings we were there. The location was great, too. We were able to walk to everything that we wanted to see in the city, from Longfellow's house and the Cryptozoology Museum to all of the shops and restaurants along the waterfront (and, I'd like to add, we're kind of old and sedentary). When it came time to leave, we asked about a shuttle to the airport and, within five minutes, were loaded into the van and driven to the airport by an extremely affable young man. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We were on the fifth floor facing south... great view.
1 Thank Idese
Thank you for nice comments about our staff. Glad you enjoyed Portland. Its a great place to visit in the fall as well as summer! Come see us again.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The location is great. One block from the ferry terminal. Staff are super friendly and accommodating. Bed, tv, shower, furnishings all good. The fitness center is small but the three treadmills, stationary bike and elliptical are brand new and top shelf. Free weight dumb bells only for lifting. Pool is small and indoors. Breakfast variety about average for hampton. The exemplary staff and great location take away the sting of paying JW marriott rates.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul K
Thank you for including us in your summer plans. Come see us again. Maine is a beautiful place in the fall!!

Hampton Inn Portland
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Found the hotel to be in an excellent location in Portland, Me. The facility and staff excelled our expectations. As a frequent traveler, I will seek out a Hampton Inn for future stays. Loved the idea of complimentary "On the Go" breakfast bags and bowl of fruit at registration desk. Staff couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful. Job very well done by all!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank 281susanp
Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel and staff. Good you see you enjoyed Portland. Please come see us again.