“TOTAL PERFECTION!”

JP's Bistro
Ranked #71 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Portland, Maine
“TOTAL PERFECTION!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

"Cheers" to J.P. and his ENTIRE staff who always make everyone - except, I suspect, this last complaining "TA reviewer" - feel at home. I have never ever been or felt rushed - and the food and service aren't "good" but fabulous in not just my opinion - and the noise level is equal to the joy practically everyone...well...enjoys here. It's the quintessential neighborhood place to meet, greet, drink, and have plenty of fun. Quit your belly aching - and while you're at it, be considerate of others waiting for a table IF you're just "hangin'" (next time perhaps the bar would be better suited for you?) - and here's to J.P.'s!

• Visited July 2014

Gorham, ME
“Felt rushed to place order, eat, leave! Won't be back.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We've eaten at JP's numerous times in the past; the food is good, service good, atmosphere a tad noisy. However, on 2 different occasions, we were told by the wait staff they wanted to "move" the table because they had customers scheduled after us. The first time this occurred, 6 of us were at dinner (February 2013), had appetizers, 2 rounds of drinks, entrees and desert. Once we were done eating and enjoying a bit of conversation, the waiter came over and politely mentioned they had customers waiting for a table and was there anything else he could get us? In other words, 'you can leave anytime'!We thought the request was a bit forward but since we were done eating, we left. The same situation happened again last night (5/23/14). My friend and I had reservations at 5:30. Our table was ready when we arrived. The waitress took our drink orders and wanted to take our food orders at the same time. We told her we weren't quite ready yet, could we have a little more time? "Sure, no problem". She returned with our drinks and again asked to take our orders (10 mins). We apologized and told her we would look at the menu and decide. 5 mins later, she returns to the table to advise us that "JP (owner) needs to move the table and would like us to order"!!! Really? We hadn't been there 15 mins yet. I told her I was feeling a bit rushed; she apologized. We placed an order for 2 appetizers but waited to order the entree until we determined if we would share one depending on the size of the appetizers. My friend and I decided we wouldn't order entrees as we did not want to be rushed through dinner. My plate, fork and knife were removed from the table before I finished eating. I had to ask for replacements. We had an entire appetizer left to eat. As soon as the 2nd appetizer was done, the check was placed on the table. I did notice, however, that the tables to the left and the right of us were not being rushed and people were leisurely sitting there chatting after paying their bills. Occupants of both tables were there prior to our arrival. We were in the restaurant for a grand total of 50 minutes. For a restaurant that charges these prices, I expect not to be made to feel rushed. There are way too many restaurants in the city of Portland to have to put up with the "owners" asking that we move along to vacate the table. I've never had that happen anywhere else. I will not return to JPs, the food and atmosphere are not worth it. If you're looking to relax with friends, etc. and enjoy a night out, this isn't the place to do it.

• Visited May 2014
7 Thank MosquitoME
Portland, Maine
“Best food in Portland, Hands Down”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

From the incredible, knowledgeable wait staff to the numerous daily specials that outnumber the regular entrees, JP's is the best food in Portland and it's not in the middle of the city where you have to fight to find a parking spot. I've now been there at least a half dozen times, with absolutely no complaints when it comes to the quality and value of the food. If there were a small complaint, it's that it can get quite noisy when it's packed which it always is at some point in our visits. But a little noise is no reason not to visit JP's if you haven't yet!!!

• Visited May 2014
West Buxton, Maine
“Warm fresh bread with garlic butter...YUM!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My neighbors recommended JP's, so I took some work colleagues from another facility. The place was absolutely packed (definitely make reservations). We were early, thinking we could sit at the bar. However, the bar, like most everything is very small. We were served drinks while we stood, and had to move every few moments so the waitstaff could buzz around. However, once we sat at our table things calmed down. The specials list is extensive - and the chef will try and make anything you'd like as long as he has the ingredients. The bread and garlic butter were to die for. We then had a crab cake appetizer that was pretty solid with real fresh crab meat. I had a bourbon steak that was tender and flavorful. Well worth the money paid. They have a handful of deserts, but a carrot cake that had been on display called my name. It was melt in your mouth and oh so good. The food was fantastic all around. Everyone loved it. If I had to say anything negative about JP's it would be that due to the size of the eating area, it was fairly loud with people chattering. Fortunately not so loud you could not converse with your companions. Go to JP's...your tastebuds will appreciate it!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Coop228
Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfection”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This is our new favorite restaurant, we've been there three times so far and each time the service has been absolutely amazing. Yes it's busy and a little crazy at times but they still find a way to make you feel welcome and valued. And the food is outstanding, we've had the bruschetta a few times as an app and loved it. Hubby has had the rib-eye and salmon which were both excellent and the chicken francese was delicious also. Substitutions for pasta, etc as sides don't seem to be an issue and they are so accommodating. As everyone else has said make reservations and if you get a chance try the French Onion soup, best I've ever had!!

• Visited March 2014