“Excellent!!”

JP's Bistro
Ranked #73 of 613 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Had dinner at JP's Bistro last week with my sister and brother-in-law. You definitely need reservations for dinner, because everyone knows how good the food is. What I really liked about JP's is that they took care to make the dinner you wanted. If you wanted something a little different than what was on the menu, and they had the ingredients, they were more than willing to accomodate. I had the scallops (perfectly done - medium!) with a risotto with asparagus, mushrooms and onions that had tons of flavor. Husband had a special request meal of veal and seafood parmigiana that could feed 3 people. The martinis were awesome, the service was personal. I can't wait to get back to Portland to eat there again!!

1 Thank Susan K

Portland ME
“Wonderful neighborhood bistro”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

JP's is a chef owned neighborhood restaurant that my husband and I frequent often! They have a few tables outside that fill up fast.The food is always fresh and excellent. Last night we had two wonderful meals, blackened tuna and eggplant parm and saved room for desert which is unusual since we always are so full.
The desert choices all sounded delicious and we settled on the mud pie made by JP. I was disappointing by the canned whipped cream and Hershey's syrup on the pie. The pie itself was very good but why not go the extra mile and made fresh whipped cream and home made chocolate sauce? I saw the key lime pie go out with canned whip cream as well. I would have thought a top notch bistro would have only used real whipped cream. Besides the desert disappointment the rest of the meal was excellent and Jordon our bar tender was wonderful!
We will certainly go back again but skip the desert unless they bring that up to the excellent standard of the rest of the food.

Portland, Maine
“Over all great experience”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Loved the waitstaff, the food, the presentation just about everything about this place is great- it's just hard to get in!

Visited July 2014
“Wonderful Meal”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

While visiting Portland with my husband and four grown children, we dined at JP's Bistro in the Rosemount section of Portland. We did have to drive from our downtown hotel (3.5 miles) but it was well worth the trip. The food was excellent. A great variety of fresh ingredients prepared perfectly. The mussels with pistachio nuts are something I will always remember as truly unique and delicious. All the entrees were not only delicious, but just as important, no one left hungry. The service was outstanding, and we were not rushed even on a busy Friday night. The restaurant is small so reservations are a must. Also important, a good value. When vacationing with six adults it isn't easy finding an upscale restaurant that is affordable. I would highly recommend eating here!

Visited July 2014
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Two Return Visits- Very Disappointed”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I previously reviewed JP's after my premier visit and absolutely loved it. We had quick, attentive service, the food was delicious and the atmosphere was jovial. I have returned for the same experience on more than one occasion and have become extremely disappointed and now will not return!

My party of four arrived at JP's on time for our reservations and stood in the doorway for 10 minutes without being so much as acknowledged.. no glance, no hello, nothing. We decided to wait outside where we sat and stared at two empty tables and decided to sit down. One server told us that would be fine, they cleaned the table and then another came out saying we had to move to our inside table which would be ready in 10 min- that would have been 30 minutes after our reservation!! Unacceptable.

Through all of this- we still did not receive a welcoming hello, an apology for the wait, an offer of a beverage while we waited, or the option to look over the menu!!! This is service 101.

My suggestion to the restaurant is to hire more staff, be more stringent with your reservations and that while good food will get you a good restaurant, great service will add just as much to your reputation.

My suggestion to diners- Grab the earliest reservation possible.

1 Thank CapeGirl35