“Bee Portland”

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Free Tours Available: 11:30 am & 3:00 pm, Monday - Saurday
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We chose Portland as a dog friendly, get away long weekend.

We had never tasted Mead and went here based on a taste we had at Portland Lobster, and recommendation from hotel staff. The hostess was friendly and engaging. she told us a little about the Portland Mead, ingredients and was generous with tastes. Some of the product was interesting, but not something I could drink a glass of.

However, the lavender lemonade and lavender mead was the perfect gift to bring back to enjoy at home and give to family. We visited mid-week, so it was not busy crazy, she had time to talk with us. Go, have a taste. Better yet, buy a bottle to enjoy with a fresh bread and olive oil from the local bakery.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

I was surprised by the variety of mead produced by the Maine Mead Works. We arrived near closing and they graciously served us samples and told us about the meads. Unfortunately, we weren't in time to get a tour. Go there early enough to catch that!

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I went in wanting to try their keg cider. I came out loving the cider and having had an amazing experience. The hostess was delightful and taught us so much about the process of creating mead. There was a steady stream of tourists coming and going, even on a dreary February afternoon. If you're a Portland local and haven't learned about Maine Mead Works... shame on you. Get in here.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

If you are ever walking around in Portland or just driving by on 295, stop in, especially around tour time. The tour was informative and interesting. The tasting is great since you get to taste 10 different mead wines. The people working there are very nice and are proud of their mead wine.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

My boyfriend and I stopped here while we were vacationing in November. Wow! What an unexpected and pleasant experience. We were interested in tasting, thinking it would be like the typical "wine" tasting - pay a fee, pick four or so wines etc. etc. ... but no! The man helping us took out every single bottle he had in the fridge beneath him and we truly got a taste of Maine Mead ... for nothing! I can't even say that any of them were bad or one better than the other because they were all so unique and delicious that if I could have bought a bottle of each I would have. I will definitely be ordering from them online in the future, as he did say that they have a website. He was such a nice guy and taught us a little lesson on Mead and it really made us appreciate the business more and its uniqueness. Both my boyfriend and I have never had Mead before and being huge honey-lovers in general we have a new found respect and appreciation for how its made. It has such a clean and smooth taste that we were truly in awe. Some of my favorite were the Lavender Mead and the Dry Mead. My boyfriend loved both of the seasonal meads. We walked away with a few bottles that day. Needless to say, I walked out of the place feeling a little warm on that cold day :-) Definitely recommend this place and this taste!

Been to Maine Mead Works? Share your experiences!