“Great clams & lobster rolls”
Review of Fishermen's Grill

Fishermen's Grill
Ranked #92 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$5 - US$55
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Closed Monday , Open Tuesday 12-3 Wed-thurs 12-6 Fri-sat 12-9 Sunday 12-6 Thanks ! Feel Free To Call I Will Close If I Run Out Of Food
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I'll add another positive review for this place -- the fried clams & lobster roll were both exemplary. Really the only downside is that the place is very small and very popular. If you come here at a busy time you will have a wait, and seating may be taken.

1  Thank Peter W
There are newer reviews for Fishermen's Grill

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I got the jumbo lobster roll and they could not have balanced any more lobster on the deliciously buttered hot dog roll with just the right amount of lettuce on the bottom. It had tons of full claws and lovely lobster meat. Whenever I go to Maine I will try to time stopping there for lunch.

2  Thank Evelyn366
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We came all the way from Alaska to try the Lobsta Roll and Snow crab sandwich. My husband got the seafood chowda and I had the clam chowda. The food was mouth watering and amazingly tasty. Being from Alaska eating from the Pacific Ocean, what a difference in taste with the crab. It was worth the trip, the price, and the two gentleman cooking and serving were friendly and did a fabulous job. We want to go back again! It's too bad there's negative reviews. Because we had a great experience. We were there Last September 2013. We want to come back so bad.

1  Thank DanielleWilliams
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We came for the famous lobster roll, and it did not disappoint. The classic size was more than enough for lunch and it was well worth $20. The bread was delicious and the lobster was overflowing and fresh.

1  Thank Rebecca60430
Reviewed 19 August 2014

After reading a bunch of reviews, only one of which was really bad ("they didn't open on time and we left without eating"), we decided on Fisherman's Grill for lobster rolls. We arrived at 12:10, after noting the opening time of 12:00 on Fisherman's Grill's web page. It was closed. A sign on the door said "We open when we're ready. That might be 12, 12:10, 12:30...". We took a table to wait. We were the second group there. Two more groups showed up, and at 12:25, an employee poked his head out and advised the standing groups that we were there first, and suggested we all line up. At 12:30, the doors opened, we ordered, and took a table outside.
The food arrived quickly: a large lobster roll, a "classic" lobster roll, and 2 cups of clam chowder. The best thing about the meal was the clam chowder. The broth was tasty, the clams perfectly cooked. I'd really love to be able to compliment the lobster rolls as well, but there was something rancid about a few of the claws, and overall, the meat was the texture of a sponge. I don't know what was wrong with them, but they were just no appetizing, and at $26, a lobster roll should be great. It's not a seasonal problem, because our supermarket had just steamed lobsters for us 2 days before. Maybe overcooking, and maybe the rancidness was overused cooking water. Not sure. But if I had not been someone's guest, I would not have been able to finish my half of the colossal roll.
To add to this, the ambiance is lacking. The grill makes no claims about this, but we thought going a bit "off the grid" was going to pay off in food quality, and id did not.
I think next time, we'll go somewhere scenic so if the food is sub-par, we will at least have a nice view.

3  Thank ooonor