“Served its purpose”
Review of Motel 6 Portland

Motel 6 Portland
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We planned a last minute trip to Maine to play some disc golf. We wanted a hotel that was between the courses and on our way home and Portland was the perfect spot. We didn't want to spend a fortune on a hotel that all we were gonna do is sleep. This place was half the price of all the other places. If I said I wasn't a little nervousness I would be lying, but with the name Motel 6 I felt a little better. The room was a pleasant surprise, it was clean, nice and cool and the beds were comfortable had nice clean sheets. I will say if we stayed any longer than 2 days I wouldn't have stayed here it had very little to no amenities (a few towels and 1 bar of soap) no microwave or refrigerator and probably the smallest tv possible, but for the cost it served its 1 night purpose.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 31 July 2013

OK...I know that a lot of what I'm going to end up saying is going to end up coming off negative, but I really don't mean it to be.
This place was strictly a place to crash and that was all it needed to be. In a city full of $200+ a night rooms, this one was less than $100 a night and that's what I was looking for.
The room was small, but insanely clean--housekeeping either kept inconsistent hours or came around more than once a day. However, the side stairway up to our third floor room, did have an overlying odor of urine. Not strong...just...there.
The remote for the TV was shot and we had to change the channel by hand (Remember when....?). There was no iron, no fridge, no little tiny coffee maker--no breakfast, by the by...just coffee in the lobby. The water pressure in the shower was too good...when I wasn't struggling to keep my footing, I struggled to protect my skin from what felt like a sand-blasting. In all seriousness, however, the bed was comfortable, the sheets clean (though stingy on the pillows) and the room fairly comfortable. I admit I wasn't wowed, but I didn't go on vacation to hand out in my room all day and watch TV. Paying $3 a day for internet was stupid in this day and age, but it was hardly going to break the bank, so I did it anyway.
All in all....I wouldn't NOT go again.

Room Tip: the fourth floor seems to be the smoking floor
1  Thank Scribbles4
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We paid $70 + $3 for internet at this place. Frankly, there are several other budget hotels near this one (Super 8, Travelodge, etc.) which I think would be better than this one. I stayed at another Motel 6 in Newport and that one was cheaper and the room there was bigger and cleaner than the room I stayed at in the Portland Motel 6. I don't understand this. Newport is a much more expensive area than Portland. The room was small, the AC didn't work too well, and there were several stains on the mattress pad that were readily visible through the very thin sheets. I'd recommend going to one of the other budget motel competitors if you are looking to save some $$.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear Megan C - We apologize for the room cleanliness issues you encountered during your recent stay. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

BY far the nastiest motel I have ever stayed at EVER!!! smells horrible, dirty and the rooms are tiny and nasty! found some sort of bug in the bed when we woke up in the morning I would NEVER stay here again the place should be shut down its that bad! I cant say anything positive cause this place is the lowest of the LOW! absolutely DISGUSTING!!!! at 79.99 wayyyy over priced and not worth your hard earned money! IF you go by this place or are even considering staying here DONT STOP AND DONT STAY!

1  Thank oobgirl2008

Dear oobgirl2008 - We sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay and for the odor, cleanliness and property conditions you encountered during your stay. These issues are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

while the hotel was easy to find ,when my wife and I got too our room we could smell a mustiness in the room right away. THe cinder block walls didn't help the look of the room either. IF we were not over tired from running around all day we would have drove two hours home in stead of staying. also the elevator could use some work.

1  Thank slovejoy
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Slovejoy - We sincerely apologize for the odor and elevator maintenance issues you experienced during your stay. These conditions are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Please contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I'm pretty familiar with Portland, and travel here a few times a year. I've driven by the Motel 6 a lot, and from the exterior, it doesn't look bad at all. With it being only $65, I figured we would try this out for a night, and what a mistake. The only mistake that was worse then staying here, was not reading reviews beforehand. Check in went really well, and the front desk clerk (Andrew I believe) was really friendly! When we go to the room, I was shocked. The carpet was damp, air conditioner had a piece of molding on the floor and the beds.. lets talk about the beds for a minute. There were visible stains all over the mattresses. I honestly might not have even noticed this had it not been for the fact that the sheets on the bed were so thin that you could see the mattress below. This entire property was dirty and looked like it hadn't been properly cleaned in years. I've stayed in some trashy hotels, as I like bargain shopping, but this was unbelievable.

The guy at the front desk, as I said, was really friendly, and gave us a code for the internet (usually $3). It is a good thing he gave us a free one, because the service was in and out during our entire stay. We stayed one night, and I can guarantee will not be back. I've stayed at the Motel 6 in Bangor, ME on a few occasions and can say that its like these properties have different owners. The motel there is clean and inviting. This place had me praying that I didn't take any bugs home.

One last thing - on the upside.. there was a beer opener in the bathroom. Not something I usually look for, but if I was staying the night here, I sure wasn't going to do it sober!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! If you do, avoid room 307, as the mattresses may have blood, urine or god know...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mkpacman71

Dear mkpacman71 - Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The maintenance and cleanliness conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I will start off with saying that I do have to take some of the blame for staying at this motel due to the fault of not researching the ratings and comments of this particular motel. I know you can not satisfy everyone and not always agree with everyones opinions, but now after reading alot of the past comments on this site do have to agree with most of the negative ones.
I wasnt expecting the motel to be a higher end motel with all the bells and whistles by any means, but was expecting a little more out of it than it was. I know you get what you pay for, but my cost was $176 for two nights, so expected a little more. When we arrived at motel, waited in the lobby for about 10 mins before anyone came to the desk to check us in. After checking in and going down to our room on the first floor, we had to walk through a cloud of marijuana smoke to reach our room, only to walk in the room which smelled like a dog kennel. I immediately went back to the front desk and asked for another room, which after asking me why I needed another room and telling them the problems, he did find me another room. The room he did supply us with was definitely better than the first, but still had an odor, air conditioner was loud, bedspreads had cigerette burns, pillow cases had stains of some sort. After seeing what we did, didnt dare to look for anything else wrong in fear of having to move the family to the car as there was no vacancies anywhere else around us. Another problem was with simple things like not having enough towels and face clothes in the room. We had two hand towels, one face cloth and one bath towel with three people in the room. I did get a couple more bath towels, but they had no more face clothes. The police were at the motel the both nights we stayed there. I am not familiar with Portland, being my first time there, but this motel seems very shady. Maybe because of the part of town it is in I am not sure, but some unsavoury people in and around the motel.
I am suprised with all the negative comments that are being posted on here, that really nothing is being done to improve this motel. I have read comments clear back to 2010 and still many pages more of comments I have not read and they are complaining about the same issues I had this past week-end. Does the management not care about these comments? I will only speak for myself, but this was by far the worst motel I have stayed at and well never return to it again when in the Portland area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank cavendish84
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear cavendish84 – Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We sincerely apologize for the odor, service and cleanliness issues you encountered during your stay. These conditions are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. We do, indeed, care about your experience and kindly encourage you to contact our guest relations department so we can address these issues and serve you and our future guests better in the future: 1-800-577-3435.