“Unsafe environment”
Review of Motel 6 Portland

Motel 6 Portland
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My cousin and I went to Portland for a little girl time get away. We chose Motel 6 for the price and because she has stayed there numorous times before. We checked in went to our romm, She went back to the car for something and as I was plugging in my cell phone charger I looked and saw a used insulin syringe needle on the bed!!!! When she came back I showed her and she went to the front desk where she was greeted with nothing but a very disrespectful attitude from the desk clerk. After close to an hr we finally had another room. I have to say the needle was bad enough but the attiude and disrespect from the desk clerk made everything so much worse. He acted liked we were putting him out and like a dirty needle on the bed was no big deal... WRONG!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ida M
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The cleanliness and poor guest service conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I know what Motel 6 is - & it's the budget stay that draws me in. The staff were polite and efficient. The room was basic as you expect Motel 6 to be. However the comings & goings of hazy groups of drunken scum was very off-putting.I saw the Police - inside resolving an incident there twice. I had my bicycle in my room. I still chained it up to the prison style table. It;s just a rough place, but cheap. I's about 4 miles out of Portland. The bus is regular into the city & costs just $1.50. Hmmmm...... 4/10. I think that's fair.

Room Tip: Nearer to reception for extra safety.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephen A
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Stephen A.
Thank you for taking time to post your review and for recognizing our staff.. We sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your recent stay and encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here on a short stop en route from Boston to rangeley - what a mistake .my pal was being proposition by a female in the foyer as we checked in, she seemed to be high also.we were woken by a character banging on room doors along the corridor at 5 am.i was proposition by a sub normal female in the lift the next morning, she was also talking to herself.another female was standing right outside our room door as we were leaving and spoke to my pal about all her ailments.there were many homeless type people being housed there and not separated. From paying guests.cheap so I guess I should have known better ---- never ever again.oh! The rooms although Spartan were. Not too bad..

Room Tip: Go to another hotel there is an hojo's very nearby
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank leafpeeper-supreme
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear leafpeeper-supreme,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay at Motel 6. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Not great but not bad either. If you need a cheap place to lay your head for the night it will work. Not fancy... no hair dryer, soap and towels only in bathroom. Clean other than sticky carpet. Staff was nice. No coffee maker in room but I always bring one when I am driving.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank eventgallb
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Yes carpets are older(but I had flip flops), elevator wasn't working right one day and dirty(took the stairs to 2nd floor and well it IS the only elevator for 50+ rooms), shower curtain hem was dirty, towels had stains (but were washed), tv was not a flat one and pretty small (older version with the big back), front desk was always busy(but JAMES went in search of extra towels we needed), and had to ask for hair dryer and iron as people have stolen themin the past(which JAMES gave us). Small front desk handling a very busy weekend and JAMES stayed professional, didn't get agitated, just handled one issue or customer after the other and he even took the time to give us directions and advise us to find the best pizza at OTTO downtown Portland....The hotel was $75 a nite which seemed a little hi for what you got but luckily was able to book 3 days before arriving due to a previously reserved hotel booking fiasco, and considering it was a holiday weekend, that my bed was awesome, and the room temp stayed constantly cool at rite temp so we didn't hear the AC unit going on and off all nite I feel we got a good deal. AND I heard several people being turned away as they were full and was happy I was not them. I will add there is a Dunkin Donuts, Chipotle, and other restaurants, shops just across the street which is a plus and it is just off the highway. My expectations were not hi but it could've been worse for alot more money...been there done that! I did see animals coming in and out and was glad not to have been in a room where one had been previously or none that I could tell had been and didn't remember that it was pet friendly...so ....oh and our key card wouldn't work 2nd day and we asked the maid across the hall to let us in and she WOULDN'T so while inconvenient we were glad she didn't take our word for it that that was our room! (saw that other post about being let in!)

Room Tip: Some hotels don't have windows that open and I was glad they do here, I don't know why but I...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ctvtde
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The room was pretty much a basic room - bed, desk/chair, TV, 'bureau', night stand ...there was no clock (some hotels I've stayed in have them). Not many amenities - just soap in the bathroom, the ice bucket and plastic cups. Clean, basic...for a basic stay it was OK, except for having to pay for the Internet. A/C was either on or off - a window unit. Desk staff was very helpful. No coffee in the room!!! Bed was OK, and had clean sheets. Not sure I'd stay again but for the price and need it worked - this time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PurpleJody
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Travelling from Halifax to Syracuse NY we elected to find something cheap for a one nighter to break up the drive. Foolishly acting on previous Motel 6 experiences I trusted the brand and booked a room without consulting Trip Advisor. Lesson learned. This hotel is dirty, dated and very institutional in appearance and feel. Very old and dirty bed and the heavy smell of some kind of spray meant to mask the history. The front desk staff seemed put out by having to check us in. Upon check out I'd managed to leave a key in the room and need to have a replacement issue. The front desk staff simply gave me another key without having checked my ID to confirm that I should have had access to this room at all. That's scary when you think of it. I'm sure I could have come back 20 minutes later with the same story and a different room number and ended up with another key. Do yourself a favour and pass on this terrible example of the Motel 6 brand.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple