“didn't honor reservation”
Review of Motel 6 Portland

Motel 6 Portland
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Made reservations through Travelocity. Called this hotel to make sure our reservation was guaranteed for late arrival and they said "no problem". Arrived from the airport at 11:30PM and discovered they had given my room to someone else and they were out of rooms. Said credit card was "denied". I knew it was definitely not a problem w/ my credit but found out later from credit card company that Motel Six put the wrong exp. date in. Motel Six manager did nothing to help us find another room, but refunded cab fare at my request. Called Motel Six customer service help-line later. There was no response when I asked why the desk clerk said "no problem" when I called prior to arrival. They just passed the buck and said it was Travelocity's fault. Travelocity told me that they usually charge the credit card prior to arrival for hotel reservations but Motel Six is an exception. They require the customer to present their credit card upon arrival. Therefore a reservation is meaningless b/c they can give away your room due to a clerical error or for whatever reason they come up with. So it seems pointless to me to make a reservation with them. There are many nicer motels close to the airport that I have stayed in and was happy with but these were booked this night. I would recommend you look elsewhere for a room in or around Portland to avoid spoiling your visit to Portland.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We reserved this hotel because their website said they had queen sized beds. Lies!!! The room was about the size of a closet and the beds were NOT queens. The hallway looked like a college dorm and smelled like one too. Do yourself a favour, stay somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kkuffner
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have never had a worse experience at hotel in my life.
I had left a sweatshirt there. Upon realizing I don't have it, I called to inquire if they have it and was told that they do. I was thrilled and asked to send it to me please since we were already back in New York. To my surprise, I was told they will not send it because they don't have a box. I was also told that if they don't come across a box in 30 days, the sweatshirt will be discarded and that's the company policy.

I spoke to the "front desk", then to "guest service relations" and finally to "corporate offices". Corporate offices had confirmed their policy that if box was not going to be found, the item will be discarded. I asked who am I speaking to and they responded that its "corporate agent guest relations specialist". The only thing they specialize in is making resolutions of simple problems impossible.

The head service relations specialist was polite with men but not with women. She was the first to inform me that there is no box and they will throw it out in 30 days. She was also the one to inform me that even though there are ashtrays in the room and it smells like smoke - the rooms are non-smoking. Her name if anyone encounters her is Ann Faucher.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lara B
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was reasonably clean but was missing what I considered to be basic amenities: shampoo and a coffee maker. For a similar price I have had better experiences with other motels.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

for once, I did not check the reviews before I booked this hotel since we were just looking for a one night stay after our plane arrived after midnight. Big mistake. We were put on the 4th floor - a smoking floor - because they do not offer you a choice. The hallway was filthy - it looked like it had not been vacuumed in weeks. The smell of cigarettes was appalling in the hallway though luckily our room did not smell quite so bad. Also, the room itself was fairly clean though very shabby. The only good thing about the hotel is that the bed was comfortable. The hotel isn't even all that close the airport - which is really the reason I had booked it. Find another place if you can.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zaphoid
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed or 1 night and the room was clean and staff was friendly. When we arrived, there was a strong smell of Chlorine in the hallway. Our room was small but usable for one night. It was perfect for one night or 2 nights and it was cheap.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LexyAllura
Reviewed 21 July 2014

...and I was told it was non-smoking. I hate the smell of cigarettes and couldn't sleep because of it. When we got there there was only 1 towel for 2 occupants, and the bathroom light was broken.
Disgusting.