“BED BUGS....RUN!!!!!!!!”
Review of Motel 6 Portland

Motel 6 Portland
Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My friends and I checked into this hotel and I did the standard check of the room for bed bugs. I work for a pest control company and I know how to perform a thorough inspection. I saw nothing when I looked but my sister woke up with bites the next morning. At first, because of her reaction, we thought it was a spider bite and asked that the room be vacuumed thoroughly while we were out for the day. Upon returning that night, we did another check of the room just to be sure. That is when we found them. There were multiple dead bed bugs along the molding that borders the wall of the entire room. These were not there the night before. In my personal opinion, it seems like they had the room treated discreetly while we were out which stirred up activity and caused them to come out in the open but, I digress. We reported the situation to the front desk who reported it to management via phone. We were told that we could get a full refund on the affected room but we would have to vacate immediately. At this point it was after 2AM and we were 5 young girls about 6 hours from home. The other hotels in the area had no vacancy so we had nowhere else to go. We reserved two rooms and the other had not been affected by this issue so we asked that we all stay in the same room for that last night. We were told that we were not allowed to do so but after some back and forth it was approved by management. The problem here is that they do not have cots available at this hotel so 3 girls were now going to have to share 1 bed. We woke up at 7AM to go down and speak directly with the manager on duty. He confirmed bed bug activity in the room and promised me a full refund for both nights in that room as well as a partial refund for the second room due to the inconvenience. This was supposed to all be settled on Sunday. I was told that I would only be charged for the one night in the unaffected room and the charge for the second room had been cancelled out completely. I asked if it would be charged and then returned or if it would not be charged at all. He assured me that it would not be charged at all because he had not authorized it for any amount. As of this morning (Tuesday), my card has been charged for the full amount for both nights in both rooms. I called the hotel and nobody has been able to help me. I was told that they do not know what I am talking about. I was then told to call back to speak with the general manager but that he probably won’t know what I am talking about either. Hands down, this has been the worst hotel experience of my life. AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE!!!! Regardless of how great the price may seem, do not stay here. In addition to all of that, the hallways smelled like pee and the non-smoking room we were put in stunk like an ash tray. Being in that room made me feel dirty. This place should be shut down!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sara G
6Team, Brand Experience Team member at Motel 6 Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Sara G, We take bed bug reports very seriously and sincerely apologize for your experience and for the unsatisfactory response you received to your complaint. Please know that we are on high alert regarding this issue and are mindful to monitor our rooms in order to address, treat and terminate any issues if we discover them. We have designed a thorough and strict procedure to address all complaints or potential issues within our hotel. Unfortunately, bed bugs are a world-wide problem and present a unique challenge due to their highly transient nature, traveling easily in luggage and clothing. This is why we continually train our housekeeping staff to proactively monitor all guest rooms for the potential presence of bed bugs and have standing contracts with professional exterminators (like the career past you mentioned) to treat affected areas in case any are discovered on our premises. As you experienced, no room gets released until we have an all-clear from them. We strongly encourage you to contact our guest relations at 1-855-787-9864, so that we can better address your stay, the payment issues you are dealing with and improve our service for you and our future guests.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Do not stay!!!! So bad I cried!! The hotel smelled of cat pee. The toilet leaked all over the floor for 2 days! The room looked like Jail!!! So dirty and the rooms do not get cleaned everyday! You have to bring your towels to the front desk for clean towels! The room would smell of smoke in the morning!! Sooo many bad bad things, spend $30.00 more and go to a place that does not make you cry!!!!

Room Tip: Do not come here!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer N
Reviewed 11 August 2014

On Friday, August 8 my brother and I, along with my niece (8) and my son (11) stayed at the Motel 6 in Portland Maine. When we checked in, I verified that our reservation was for a non-smoking room (I have allergies and am asthmatic). We were told that it was a non-smoking room. As we left the elevator, we could smell smoke in the hallway. We thought that perhaps the smell was due to the fact that this hotel offers smoking rooms. However, when we entered the room, the smoke smell was still evident. I called the front desk and was reassured that it was indeed, a non-smoking room. The room was such that before we went to bed we checked for bed bugs…that is a small indication of how we felt the room was not very clean. We got the kids ready for bed and were in bed not too long after as we were all very tired. When I went to bed, the smell of smoke was evident not only on the bedspread but also on the pillows…it was disgusting and I had to take my puffers in order to ensure I could get to sleep. When we woke up in the morning and were packing up, I noticed ashtrays in the room…one behind the television and the other behind a lamp. When we pulled up the bedspread, we noticed a large cigarette burn so we were definitely in a smoking room.

Upon checkout, I told the front desk clerk how I felt that the room we were put in was not, in fact, a non-smoking room. He told me that it was and they had to have ashtrays in all rooms. Now, my question would be, if this is a non-smoking room, why would ashtrays be required? If it is a non-smoking room, it should be non-smoking all the time as smoke tends to hang onto everything.

Other things we noted…the elevator is in dire need of repair. It was a very “sketchy” elevator and we were nervous travelling in it. This was only compounded by the fact that when we left (and had to take the elevator once again), the elevator smelled of vomit.

In the parking lot, a woman told us that in her room the towel holder fell off the wall in the middle of the night. Also, across the hall from her the police arrived to haul off some partiers. I understand that there isn’t much a hotel can do when people who stay in their location party and police are required but it was just sort of the “cherry on top” if you will.

Room Tip: Just do not stay here
1  Thank Canuck_Jen
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Made reservations through Travelocity. Called this hotel to make sure our reservation was guaranteed for late arrival and they said "no problem". Arrived from the airport at 11:30PM and discovered they had given my room to someone else and they were out of rooms. Said credit card was "denied". I knew it was definitely not a problem w/ my credit but found out later from credit card company that Motel Six put the wrong exp. date in. Motel Six manager did nothing to help us find another room, but refunded cab fare at my request. Called Motel Six customer service help-line later. There was no response when I asked why the desk clerk said "no problem" when I called prior to arrival. They just passed the buck and said it was Travelocity's fault. Travelocity told me that they usually charge the credit card prior to arrival for hotel reservations but Motel Six is an exception. They require the customer to present their credit card upon arrival. Therefore a reservation is meaningless b/c they can give away your room due to a clerical error or for whatever reason they come up with. So it seems pointless to me to make a reservation with them. There are many nicer motels close to the airport that I have stayed in and was happy with but these were booked this night. I would recommend you look elsewhere for a room in or around Portland to avoid spoiling your visit to Portland.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We reserved this hotel because their website said they had queen sized beds. Lies!!! The room was about the size of a closet and the beds were NOT queens. The hallway looked like a college dorm and smelled like one too. Do yourself a favour, stay somewhere else!!!

2  Thank kkuffner
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have never had a worse experience at hotel in my life.
I had left a sweatshirt there. Upon realizing I don't have it, I called to inquire if they have it and was told that they do. I was thrilled and asked to send it to me please since we were already back in New York. To my surprise, I was told they will not send it because they don't have a box. I was also told that if they don't come across a box in 30 days, the sweatshirt will be discarded and that's the company policy.

I spoke to the "front desk", then to "guest service relations" and finally to "corporate offices". Corporate offices had confirmed their policy that if box was not going to be found, the item will be discarded. I asked who am I speaking to and they responded that its "corporate agent guest relations specialist". The only thing they specialize in is making resolutions of simple problems impossible.

The head service relations specialist was polite with men but not with women. She was the first to inform me that there is no box and they will throw it out in 30 days. She was also the one to inform me that even though there are ashtrays in the room and it smells like smoke - the rooms are non-smoking. Her name if anyone encounters her is Ann Faucher.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lara B
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was reasonably clean but was missing what I considered to be basic amenities: shampoo and a coffee maker. For a similar price I have had better experiences with other motels.