“Best German in the area”
Review of Schulte & Herr

Schulte & Herr
Ranked #86 of 626 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Maine/New York
“Best German in the area”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

If you like German food, this is the place for you. They start you out with delicious bread. The potato pancakes are to die for. The tart with a side of arugula is just wonderful. The pork schweineschnitzel is plentiful and in a tasty brown gravy. It comes with German potato salad or potato gratin. The cucumber salad and the side of vegetables are a bargain at $4 each. The fish stew is tasty, and the fish is not overcooked. This place is BYOB, so dinner with an appetizer, a main, and a side fills you up for under $30 a person. They accept reservations which makes dining in Portland much easier. You can always find a spot on the street nearby. The place is not fancy but has a wonderful hip vibe. And the service is friendly! Go!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank CanCookTonight

Mount Vernon, Maine
“Good German Food, Reasonable Prices, Friendly Waitstaff”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I took a German friend to Schulte & Herr for dinner, hoping for the best but fearing that I might be embarrassed. It was a pleasant surprise. My friend found the offerings to be authentic, while I was pleased that the cooking wasn't too heavy. For appetizers, he had the zweilbelkuchen and I had the trout salad. Loved my selection! For our main courses, he had the schweineschnitzel and I had the sautéed spaetzle. Again, I enjoyed mine very much and also liked my taste of his. NB This restaurant is BYOB. We brought 2 bottles of beer to start and a bottle of wine for the meal. The overall price was very reasonable.

• Visited May 2014
milford, ct
“Delicious and authentic”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I lived in Germany for 3 years and this transported me back in time. We brought our own wine to pair with the food and had schnitzel which was perfect and my friend had the wurst platter. So good. Service was quick and friendly and oh the bread was yummy. I love good food and this was right on. Also the only restaurant I have been to state side that really serves real German cheesecake was it ever good.

Hartford, Vermont
“Great German home cooking!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I went to Schulte and Herr for lunch. We asked for the bread basket, which was a sampling of homemade breads that came with a unique spread. The server/owner was delightful and made us feel as though we were enjoying a meal in Germany. I ordered the sandwich of the day, which was pork. It was warm and good and came with German potato salad that was okay. My husband ordered the spaetzle, which was like a gourmet macaroni and cheese. It was delicious! It came with a summer cucumber salad that was also yummy. Overall, we were quite satisfied with the experience and will return.

Seaford
“Small, German Restaurant”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Schulte & Herr is a small restaurant, the features German food. The menu is limited, and they do not sell liquor (you may, however, bring your own liquor). For an appetizer, I had an onion-Gruyere tart, which was very tasty. I also had sauerbraten, which I found to be somewhat fatty and not as tender as I have had in other restaurants. My companion liked the sauerbraten, however. My companion also had a bratwurst platter (and that came with only one bratwurst, German potato salad, and sauerkraut). He enjoyed that too. The service was very attentive and pleasant.