1,695 results
All reviews town car garden view chocolate lobster fire pit honeymoon suite old port car service starbucks coffee portland harbor turn down service wharf street valet parking beautiful hotel street noise perfect location luxury hotel fore street
Reviewed 10 October 2007

We spent four nights at the Portland Harbor Hotel in October. Forewarned by other reviewers, we made sure we had a garden-facing room. The room was lovely, the bathroom was spacious, there was no noise problem at all. The concierge was wonderfully helpful. The location is great -- we could walk everywhere. The restaurant is pricy but you don't have to eat there. Several times the hotel town car took us where we were going. Portland is a beautiful city and we highly recommend the Harbor Hotel.

Reviewed 4 October 2007

Having read other reviews I was nervous about our stay. Availability was limited and only suites were left on the garden side of the hotel. Thanks to the advice from other travelers we chose a lower priced street side room and requested a room on the south side of the hotel. This reduced issues with street noise that are very real on the north side of the property. I can appreciate why other reviewers might have been unhappy with the noise if they were near the local bars. A room on the bar side of the hotel would not be worth the premium this hotel asks.

Our room was clean, spacious and nicely appointed. We found the staff very polite and accommodating. The property was well kept. We would return.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank TravelwithZ
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Despite a few small bumps in the road we had a great stay at this hotel. After reading a few warnings on this website in regards to noise, I requested a garden view room. This was an excellent choice as we were situated on the first floor and had small patio area and a lovely view of the garden. The room was comfortable and clean and we especially enjoyed the turndown service and chocolate lobster!! A few problems arose in the morning when we were treated to some rather rude service in the restaurant and then returned to find our room key was no longer working, even though it was still 1 hour to check out time. Despite these small issues we still had a good overall experience and I would certainly recommend this hotel.
The location is also wonderful, and we had a great time walking around the neighborhood filled with shops, restaurants, and pubs. I could see how some of the rooms might have noise issues as their windows would be situated near an alley full of rowdy bars. I would definitely request a garden view!!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank MegLewisBoston
Reviewed 31 August 2007

The room was very pretty. I loved the cheery yellow walls and beautiful bathroom. However the room does seem smaller than they make it look on the website. Perhaps I got a smaller room than pictured, I am not sure.
We were on the first floor, facing the courtyard. This was a bit of an awkward place to be since there are only sheers on the huge windows, so it was impossible to change without going into the bathroom. Also leaves much to be desired for privacy.
The staff was alright, however when I checked out they tried to charge us $50-something dollars for breakfast the previous morning. We received 2 breakfast coupons, and only had used one. So you tell me how one breakfast costs $50 something dollars-even with their outrageously priced meals. We did take care of that at check out, when I disputed it and simply asked the same question to the front desk, "How does one person's breakfast cost $50--, especially when the 'bill' we got before the coupon was taken into effect was $30 something for two of us?". We only ate there one morning. I must say our waiter was spectacular and very friendly, so we left him an extra bit of a tip.
The Hotel iself is very nice, central to lots of restaurants and night happenings and I love the grand staircase and the cute chocolate lobster at turn-down. I am just concerned about their service and charges.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chicy724
Reviewed 13 August 2007

It started with the under-staffed valet parking. I did not exect to have to wait in an exhaust-filled garage for over 15 minutes. I also expected help with getting my bags out of the car and to our room, but none was offered. So I guess I should not have been that shocked when the desk clerk just gave us directions to our room. For $300/night, I expect to be shown to my room. I do not expect to arrive at my room to find the TV on. Since I don't have cable at home, and watch very little on an older TV, turning it off was a bit of a challenge.

Even worse, the TV was set as an alarm to go off at 7:00 each morning, and we couldn't figure out how to turn it off either.

The room was ok, but I've stayed at Holiday Inns with better amenities. There was no fridge at all, and very few hangers. The housekeepers were the only consistently pleasant staff we encountered.

We weren't told about te availability of the town car to go to the ferry by the staff--another guest told us. It would have been nice to mention airport service as well.

Then there was breakfast. I am sure that the web site said breakfast was included with our rate, but it wasn't. We did breakfast there the first day. The breakfast was severely overpriced and the service was terrible. It may have just been our server, since we watched a table that was seated next to us order after and be served before us. Coffee was only offered twice.

Needless to say, we won't be staying there again. Some Super 8 are as good or better.

Stayed: August 2007