“Nice overnight stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Concord, New Hampshire
“Nice overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My spouse and I stayed on a Saturday night. The hotel is located in a part of this ocean front city that is undergoing a lot of construction. We stayed in a deluxe queen room. The room was clean and well appointed. The bathroom was quite nice with upscale finishes, a wonderful, deep soaking tub with separate shower and very nice toiletries. There is also a turn down service that starts around 4 to 5PM. We didn't need our bed turned down but the chocolates, bottled water and slippers were a nice gift. We were expecting to look out on the vibrant city streets as noted in the room's description but there was mostly a building with couple of stores that were closed. No matter though because it was not the view we came for. There is only one elevator that runs between the 4 floors and a separate elevator that runs between the lobby and the parking garage. It can get a bit busy at check in and out time. Parking at the hotel is by valet only unless you want to park a block away at a public garage. It was worth the fee as the valet's Charles and Ryan were not only very good at managing a lot of cars coming and going, they were the most personable and helpful staff we met and helped to make our stay that much nicer. If you wish to avoid driving to dinner you can request a ride in a very comfortable car that the valet's manage. Other than a tip, the ride is at no cost. The lobby has a bar and small restaurant. Although we did not have a drink at the bar, it was quite inviting. The restaurant was very nice for breakfast (the only meal we ate there). Highly recommend their homemade hash and eggs and the eggs benedict. All in all, a nice stay in a pleasant, in well appointed hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BD4218

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed one night on June 14th. We had an early flight out the next morning and had to leave the hotel at 3:45 AM. Our rental car was out and ready for us as promised. We got to the airport on time but due to flight issues found ourselves with a 12 hour flight delay. We headed back to downtown Portland to kill time. I had with me my husband, two kids and 82 year old diabetic father. Tired from walking with our hand carry in tow, we found ourselves in front of the hotel. We went inside and asked if they would extend us the complimentary car service back to the airport even though we checked out earlier that morning. Well this is where this hotel set itself apart. Not only did they oblige us, the staff went out of the way to take care of us. They told us to relax and forget our worries, offered us coffee and drinks..just made us feel so wonderful after our harrowing day. We went down to the valet area and my dad mentioned he needed a glass of water and Mike the valet came back with 5 bottles of cold water for all of us. Just amazing. Thank you so much Donald, Ruth, Cam and Mike -- you make this place.

Of course the hotel is beautiful, nice courtyard, clean rooms and cozy lobby. I wish I was able to stay longer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank blueridgeVirginia
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We arrived sunday night. Monday at 6 am a crane started beeping and humming. At 7:30 a drilling into our building began (it is now 8:50 am and has not stopped).

The room is beautiful and location is good, but - at least during the work week - do not stay here until the construction is done unless you want to feel like some is waking you up by sticking a drill into your brain...

Room Tip: we were in room 410. Nice room, except for the DRILLING at 7:30 am!
Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chris W
bethesda, md
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I had a business meeting in Portland and this was also our meeting hotel. The sleeping rooms were nice and clean. The bathroom was spotless and large. My view was of the roof and a construction site, but I didn't have any of the noise, so I didn't mind. I enjoyed the free coffee on the floor by 7am. As mentioned, I also participated in several meetings at this hotel and the meeting room space was OK. The staff were friendly, but slow to get back to you, including the tech av staff. I think they just have a different sense of time. The meeting rooms were small, and despite letting them know in advance our final count and room set up requirements, it wasn't until the week of our meetings that they indicated it might be a bit cramped. We had a transition in hotel contact and once onsite, other than my initiative to meet the onsite contact, I never saw here.
This hotel also only has ONE elevator and the backlog on getting up and down was incredible. Stairs were difficult to find and we were discouraged from using them. One computer sits in the lobby and there is no business center to speak of. The concierge was extremely unhelpful.
The location, however, is great and it is easy to walk to the various neighborhoods. Ample restaurants, shops and microbrews in the area - don't eat at the hotel.
I think this hotel would be much better suited for the vacation traveler - if I was there for a weekend get away, I would have enjoyed my room and the location. My complaints are centered around the meeting aspect of my stay.

Room Tip: check that construction is completed and if not, request a room away from the noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tikidream
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

Lovely, boutique hotel. Smell of gardenias as you walk up the staircase. Pleasant lobby, dining area, and courtyard. Excellent location. Had a first floor room which had its own private terrace area. Staff was exceptionally helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank camdenrockportfoodie
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Loved this place for getting to know Portland, central to everything and next door to great bakery! Across from ferry public dock and close to all the great nightlife. I would highly recommend to anyone as the perfect location to get anywhere in Portland

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tim G
Nottingham, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed here one night with my fiance since he was there for a work meeting.
The hotel is nice. The lobby has a very lovely atmosphere, as does the bar/restaurant area. They have a quaint outdoor courtyard area with tables as well. (Drink prices at happy hour as very reasonable at $5 for a martini)

The location is perfect to walk around the Old Port area (where there are plenty of shops and restaurants). It's only a block or so from the water.

Parking is easy right at the hotel, however the mandatory valet is a little upsetting considering they park your car about 30 feet from where you pull in. I definitely could've done that myself and not paid $16+tip for it. I must say though the valet was extremely courteous.

Our room was standard...king bed, small loveseat, coffee table and desk, with an armoire cabinet for clothes and a small tv. Bathroom was decent with a separate tub and shower and ample counterspace. The shower does splash on the floor though, leaving the bathmat soaked by the time you step out. Not a huge deal, but noticeable. The only negative I'd mention about this room was the location. We were on the first floor not far from the bar/restaurant and on the street side of the building. You can definitely hear street noise (including a night club on the next block) with the windows closed. If quiet is a must for you be sure to ask for a room on the courtyard side.

Wi-fi is complementary (but spotty). Make-you-own coffee in the lobby each morning. Newspapers are also complementary, as is in-town car service (and bicycles too I believe).

I was not unimpressed by any means...it wasn't perfect, but I would stay again now knowing the few little quirks to be sure to address ahead of time.

Room Tip: We were in 117 which is on the street side and not quiet at night. If I stay here again, I would ask...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business