“These diamonds need polishing”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I am not sure who was giving out the diamonds when they gave 4 to this hotel. From the not so cordial, unhappy, under trained front desk, to the cramped mildew smelling hole with the king bed - I had to jump over my husband to get in to- suite 238 was embarrassing and the lets just give you a drink coupon for your troubles, 1 hour breakfast wait- totally fried and burnt and wrong orders ----don't be fooled this is not a four diamond hotel.
However, the valet service and valets along with the concierge and location were!! Perhaps the valets could train the front desk :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lola W
Brenda G, Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Please accept our apologies for the service and room style challenges you experienced during your stay with us. As a boutique hotel, our rooms are unique as they vary in size in style. Our staff strive to exceed our guests expectations and we are sorry that we let you down.
I would be happy to talk with you personally if you would kindly contact me at the hotel.
We appreciate your feedback and please know that we take your comments to heart.

Best Regards,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,506)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

At 8AM the day we would be arriving at this hotel I received a call from the Front Desk Manager telling us that they have had air conditioning issues with some of the rooms, they were completely full and the room we were going to be in is one that has AC issues. Now I thought she was just going to say sorry and tell us to find a new place....instead I was floored that she took the time to rebook us at a hotel across the street AND they were paying for the room and parking due to the incovenience. I was absolutely floored at their initiative to solve the problem before they called me and their generosity to pay for the entire stay. When we checked into the relocated hotel, there was a note from the Front Desk Manager apologizing again, had a coupon for three free breakfasts and her personal cell phone number if there was any issue. Not that is great customer service! If we are ever in Portland, ME again we will defintiely stay here again...for the first time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TexasTraveller56
Brenda G, Manager at Portland Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

We are very glad that what could have been a terrible impression, was turned around and that you shared your experience with the Trip Advisor community in such a positive light - now we are " floored".

Thank you for your wonderful review and please let me know when you can return to Portland. I will be delighted to handle your arrangements personally.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I only stayed for one night but we liked the big bathroom with glass shower and that it had plenty of counter space. The air conditioning worked well and despite being close to a busy street we were not bothered by the noise at all so when reading other reviews it really depends on how sensitive you are or the activity level during your stay. On the plus side you are close to the action if you want to be part of the night life. Even though the location was not bad I would chose a hotel on Commercial street next time only because that's closer to all the restaurants on the water, the cute shops and all tourist action where we found ourselves wanting to spend majority of our time. Now, this hotel is only a block from the water, so again, it is not a bad location at all but there is a couple of hotels right across from the water which would've have been even more convenient. The staff was very nice and friendly except for the concierge who I did not find helpful when I asked for dinner recommendations. It's a charming boutique hotel with a lovely outdoor garden seating area and a cute bar and restaurant in the lobby. You will not have a bad stay here but if you like modern decor then this is not your place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Than you very much for your kind and supportive review of our hotel. We are indeed fortunate to have a terrific central location for our guests to enjoy the downtown " Old Port: district.
With many choices in places to stay in Portland, we thank you for " choosing" us and hope that you will return again and again.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've been there twice and the second time I was in a totally different room than the last so I was thinking I was in another hotel down the road I stayed on... Until fiancé started freaking out that the shower turned on all by itself.. Little did he know a couple years back I was there with an ex and the bathtub turned on on it's own for no reason and he was an engineer who knew everything about everything... I quickly googled where I was staying thinking no way... And then I saw one of the rooms and realized this was the same hotel I had the same paranormal experience in.. Either that or they have water issues.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Ldg123
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here in the past and found the hotel to be fine, maybe a little better--despite its quirks. This visit--all quirks and no substance. Some of my complaints are really quibbles: No one knowing that we had stayed there before. How many times do I have to hear: "Have you stayed here before?" Doesn't the computer show that?-Isn't it better to say: "Welcome Back, Mr. X?"! That is customer relations 101. The front desk is inept-they seem to cringe as you approach them-just hoping that you don't ask them a question that would require them to answer. The night we were there-it was pouring rain. Yet they had no umbrellas to pass out to guests--"They have all been taken"? Really? Then you need to have more at the ready! Oh, and our connecting rooms--BTW the only reason we stated there--promised at reservation, evaporated at checkin. Makes traveling with kids difficult. The reason given--the hotel was full. Hmmm there is a new fangled thingee called a computer--and it can actually block out rooms so that it doesn't matter how full the hotel is. It wasn't that they had more guests than rooms--they just were too inept to manage the configuration properly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mookie61

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. I do see that you previously stayed with us last February, and provided a positive review on Trip Advisor. We apologize that we missed the mark this time and did not provide you our typical high standards of service.
We will use your comments regarding our front desk and reservation accuracy in on-going training sessions. Please know that we take your comments to heart and truly hope that you will return again in the future.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly, if I can be of additional assistance.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We thought it might be a little nicer in the rooms from the photos but they were large and we had a nice view of the courtyard! All the products they provide (soap etc! ) is organic and chemical free. nice touch! the lobby area and bar and restaruant were really lovely, cozy fireplace! great location in Portland, close to all the nice restaranuts!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura H

We appreciate your positive review on Trip Advisor and thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Our hotel makes every effort to utilize eco-friendly products and we are glad that you enjoyed these amenities.
Please plan to return and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

A one night stay in Portland proved to be a welcome break at this excellent hotel. Beautiful, comfortable, immaculate room with hardwood floors. Expansive, shining bathroom. Fabulous restaurant. Superb, friendly service. Pricey, but a great value. Not to be missed.

• Stayed: June 2014

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us during your brief stay in Portland and thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community and we do hope that you will return in the future !