Portland Harbor Hotel
US$130
Ramada Plaza Portland(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$173
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$120
  • Pool
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$148
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
US$176
US$156
  • Breakfast included
Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$118
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
The Westin Portland Harborview(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$141
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Breakfast included
US$171
US$152
1,556 results
All reviewstown carchocolate lobstergarden viewfire pitold porthoneymoon suitecar servicestarbucks coffeeportland harborturn down servicevalet parkingbeautiful hotelstreet noisestreet sideperfect locationluxury hotelwithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2008

On a whim, just looking for a weekend getaway for the husband I within driving distance from Boston. Read mixed reviews here, but decided to give it a go. Dropped the kids with grandma and headed north! Drive was less taxing than expected, despite this Thanksgiving weekend.

Arrival was simple, with the GPS. The valet was a pain, but useful, despite the 16 bucks a day, plus tips. There's no real reason to have to drive the car, as pretty much everything you need is nearby. But, we went up to the Freeport Outlets (about a 20 min. drive north - pretty scenic, too). Cozy, warm, romantic day trip....not disappointed.

The room (432) was pretty large, with a couch, large water-jet tub, glass shower, separate toilet room. It was just OK. The shower seemed to leave a large puddle on the bathroom floor, which was again just a pain....the biggest issue we had, well....actually there were two: 1) heating system pretty loud....they need to handle that. 2) for the price, you'd expect a refrigerator....even a little, mini-fridge......nope.

Even despite those two issues, I would certainly recommend it. Probably wouldn't take the four children there, but he and I will definitely go back....just be sure to ask for the Garden terrace view, otherwise the nightlife (I imagine, because we had Garden terrace) seems like it could definitely be an issue come 1-2am.

A place worth the risk, considering all of the other benefits most others have written about. Bon voyage!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2008

Wife and I went mid-October and room rate was $265/day for Fri and Sat night. Rooms appeared to be all taken for the most part and a couple we met indicated all of Portland was booked the prior week so I guess the area bookings supported the rate, which I thought was a bit high. Hotel has no "parking" per se, nor grand drive up entrance. You drive under the bldg and drop off car for valet to park in a congested pkg garage. $15/day bothered me at first but I can say we never used the car and on street parking meters appeared to be a pain so for $30 we didnt have to deal with lots, meters, damage or dings so it was worth it I guess. Free paper and coffee was better than nothing. Room was adequate - nothing special. No fridge was a shock for $265/day. Heat kicked on in evening and was loud enough to wake us up when it cycled. Bed was comfortable and 2 easy chairs pulled in front of TV was OK. We had NO noise issues at all as our room was towards the end of the hallway and not near elevators. Never heard neighboring guests nor their showers running as you often do in hotels. We were on top (4) floor. In AM, two rooms on floor had room service trays out in hallway for pickup and when we went out for dinner at 8PM, they were still there. This was after maid service turned our bed down so they walked by these trays all day - not good. Sign on dresser says if you want your linens changed, put this little sign on the bed. We didnt notice the sign until day #2 so the linens werent changed (they should leave the sign on the bed I guess so you see/read it).
We did not eat in the hotel so no comment there. Fore St Restaurant is a must (#288). Dont fook for a sign, it's real discrete. LONG, LONG waits. Get there at 5 or 6PM or you'll wait 2 hours. Standard Baking Co is excellent and below #288 with a Commercial St address. The Grill Room was also good for dinner and a wait. Gilbert's Chowder House was take-out good. We passed on DiMillo's; exterior didn't sell us enough to go in.
Victoria Mansion tour was worthwhile as was the Trolley Tour. Streets were surprisingly clean and we walked Old Port with not a concern at all about crime. We had a good time, not likely we'd spend $265 / night at PHH again.... but $165 ...sure.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 October 2008

i stayed in one of the suite rooms facing the interior, I think they called that a garden view. First, the "suite" is unbelieveably crammed in with furniture, so that there is almost no room to walk. There is a king bed, a huge floor to ceiling armoire, a large desk, a chair, a sofa facing the armoire, an enormous cocktail table between the sofa and the armoire, an good sized upholstered chair with a large footstool, an apparatus to divide the room up, several trash cans and some other odds and ends. The only space to walk about was the corridor between the door and the foot of the bed and the very limited space between the cocktail table and the armoire. I kid you not.

Much worse, however, is the noise level in the corridors at night. The doors are designed so that they slam closed. And slam they do, all nite long. Every single time someone comes in at nite, their door invariably slams closed. And, of course, everytime someone goes out, you get the same slam. In addition, to the extent people talk in the hall at nite, the noise comes right into your room, maybe because the bed is situated in close proximity to the door. I am sure you have stayed in similar. Nothing like a good slam at 12AM, 230 and 3 and thoughtless idiots jabbering away in between.

So, if you enjoy sleeping at night, I would say go somewhere else. One good thing, if you are a good sleeper and come here, the blueberry pancakes are indeed something to write home about. Bottom line, come here for breakfast. Sleep somewhere else.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank royturk611
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I am from Maine, lived in Portland for many years and now go back as a tourist. I wanted to check out the hotel myself as I had heard mixed reviews. I knew it would be noisy, since the location of the hotel is very near some of my past noisy, fun haunts. SO knowing to expect noise, I was okay with it. Upon checking in my husband had the bellman take our luggage, we checked in and went to our room. We waited and waiting and waited for our luggage to arrive. We had been driving all day really wanted our toothbrushes and to get to change clothes. After waiting some more, my husband went to find our luggage--it was sitting in the lobby while the bellman and the front desk person chatted away. My husband asked why the hold up and the bellman just looked oblivious to the fact he was leaning on the luggage rack, with the luggage still there.

The soaking tub was nice, but very short; it's very deep, but not relaxing. The water pressure in the shower was a bitter disappointment compared to the very attractive granite shower. The bed was so-so comfortable. The room was pleasantly decorated, but quite small. For the price I was hoping there would have been a little fridge in the room, I could have asked I guess, but for the price we paid, should I have to ask?? It was very expensive for what we got. I have stayed many, many times at The Regency down the street and will return there. I will not return to The Harbor Hotel. Don't spend the money, it's not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SSSNES
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Stayed at the Portland Harbor Hotel as the first part of our visit to Maine and the USA for two nights. The hotel is in a prim location 1 block from the sea front and port and 2 blocks to the main shopping areas. We arrived late in the evening, from Portland Jetport (taxi journey about $30) around 11pm and had no problem checking in. We got a special rate through Expedia which gave us a bed and breakfast package though staying in the streetside rooms. The room was large and clean with two comfy beds. After reading previous views on the noise related issues with the rooms on the streetside of the hotel I was a little wary that we may get little sleep, but the hotel has clearly taken measures to prevent any noise disturbance with the windows being triple galzed. We had two great breakfasts at the hotel restaurant "eves" and one evening meal, I would recommend the Blueberyy pancakes if you are going to go for breakfast. The hotel also serves fresh coffee in the morning which is available from 6am till 9am handy if you want a coffee before you head out for the day. The hotel offers a shuttle service which will take to specific locations if you request it well in advance we used it to return to the jetport to pick up a rental car. Another guset had requested it take him to a country club outside of the city. The service is free.
Overall a great stay

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jonathan2