1,662 results
All reviewstown cargarden viewchocolate lobsterfire pithoneymoon suiteold portcar serviceportland harborstarbucks coffeeturn down servicewharf streetvalet parkingstreet noisebeautiful hotelperfect locationluxury hotelfore street
Reviewed 24 June 2007

First, let me preface by saying I worked for several years at the corporate (legal operations) level for a major hotel company with properties ranging from luxury collection to affordable chain hotels. With that experience, I tend to be quite patient and sympathetic to hotel staff and what they deal with on a daily basis. Having said that, I must say that I was a bit surprised at the quality of the hotel when we arrived. The hotel is in a great location, as many other people have indicated, shopping and restaurants are all within walking distance in this quaint city. The hotel gives a great first impression and the lobby is quite nice.

My husband checked in days earlier than me and our children, so made specific arrangements to have a room key put aside. Yet, the desk staff refused to provide the key and advised that my husband was not even a guest. Finally, she located his name but still would not provide the key despite my crying 10 month old and tired 2 year old. I finally asked if my license would be proof enough that I was the person for whom the key was set aside and she relented.

We stayed in one of the two room suites and it was roomy enough for the kids and provided us with privacy. However, the carpet was absolutely filthy. Our feet were literally black. Unfortunately, the bathroom wasn't in the best condition either. The floor and the bathtub were dirty with hair and a what I think was a soap scum/bathtub ring. There was an old gumball next to the couch and other debris behind the curtains. (We put our beach towels and and an extra blanket on the floor for the kids and moved on.

For the most part, we found the staff to be extremely pleasant and accomodating. My impression is that some front desk staff might view their position as "just a job" versus pursuing a career in the hospitality industry. The attention to detail that one might expect of a hotel with a four star distinction was just not there. For example, the photocopied directions to a Cape Elizabeth beach were wholly inaccurate, causing us to spend an extra 40 minutes in the car (not fun with toddlers who want to hit the beach). When we arrived back at the hotel that afternoon, I (nicely) let them know that the directions were wrong and were so they could be corrected for future guests.

The refridgerator they offered on the first day of our stay was delivered on the afternoon we were checking out.

My impression is that when the hotel initially opened , service, detail,and cleanliness were top notch. Often, after a few years in operation some newer hotels let things slip. I'd assume there must be some high staff turnover and the staff seemed quite young. We will be staying in the hotel often this summer as my husband is in Portland for business purposes. As such his room is paid for. I would not be able to justify paying the hotel rates if we were not being reimbursed. A nice hotel, I wouldn't classify it as luxury, but that can be turned around with some good management.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Travelw2
Reviewed 11 June 2007

PHH is in an excellent location, however this is NOT a AAA 4 star hotel. Rooms are very small, and not worth the $300 per night we were charged. Breakfast was good, but not worth $45.00 for two! Common areas are VERY dirty (dust, dead flowers), carpets and furniture worn. Front desk staff arrogant; wifi was promised but not working on arrival on Friday; told that someone would "look into it on Monday": not helpful when you need to work on line!. We specifically asked for a first floor garden room due to mobility issues (with name,date and time of their reservation agent); took more than an hour to get the room as the "only" first floor room was having the "carpet cleaned" all weekend!! Or was it saved for someone else? Go to the Regency Hotel instead....MUCH BETTER and just 2 blocks away.
Very, very disappointing. stay. AAA needs to review this hotel again.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank kieta
Reviewed 29 April 2007

Convenient downtown location, valet parking staff was friendly and helpful, office staff was aloof, hotel breakfast overpriced and slow, waitstaff was friendly, room was decent, heating system was noisy and difficult to regulate. Streetside room was too noisy with very intrusive late night music from nearby bars. Hotel was not a good value for the money, would not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wpe2bsw
Reviewed 5 April 2007

Good location, walking distance to the Old Port and tons of restaurants including lobster dinners!

The front desk staff was very helpful. The room was definitely very nice & clean, modern bathroom was clean as well. We stayed on the street side and it was loud since it was a Saturday night and the nightclub across the street was busy!

Waiting for the valet parking (mandatory, $15/night) wasn't bad. DELICIOUS breakfasts!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2007

My fiancee booked a room here for one night so we could attend an event at the Civic Center.

The room was small, but nice and clean. Bed was terrific, loved all the down comforters/pillows, etc. Bathroom, not so much...the shower had mold along the bottom...yuck.

Breakfast was very good and service was fine. Also received good recommendations from hotel staff on restaurants in the area (try Dogfish).

Very convenient, can walk to everything.

When we related the 'mold issue' to the front desk at check out we were just told 'sorry' and given a free pen.....hardly the acknowledgement we expected from a 4 star hotel.

Stayed: March 2007