1,676 results
All reviews town car garden view chocolate lobster fire pit honeymoon suite old port car service portland harbor starbucks coffee turn down service wharf street valet parking street noise beautiful hotel perfect location luxury hotel fore street
Reviewed 21 July 2007

The hotel room was nice but the noise from the bars across the street was intolerable. Also, no mini bar in room and not enough hangers for clothes.
The location was great but we will be staying elsewhere upon our return(husband comes to town for business).

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Honeybunny1950
Reviewed 20 July 2007

My last hotel stay was so wonderful, I had big hopes that it would be 2 in a row. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

Our room was beautiful. It was well appointed, and not as small as I expected after reading some of the other reviews about this hotel. The furniture and bedding all seemed to be of good quality and the room was tastefully decorated.

The room was very clean, and the temperature controls were responsive. The bathroom was large and clean, and had separate tub and shower stall, and plenty of soft towels and higher end shampoos and soaps. There were terrycloth robes for our use as well.

Our parking and check-in was a breeze, and there was a concierge in the lobby as well. I thought parking at $15 per day was steep considering the rate we paid already for the room, but parking is at a premium in Portland, so it wasn't unexpected... Just a bit painful as we had to bring 2 cars for this trip.

The location was perfect - right on Fore Street...until bedtime came. My husband and I had attended a function at Diamond Cove in Portland Harbor and got back to the mainland around 11:00 on a Thursday night when the local pubs were all in full swing, even on a "school night." I didn't think much of it at first, but when we got to our room, I couldn't believe the volume.

Even after I put in my earplugs, the thumping bass from the hole in the wall bar across the street was enough to keep me awake for hours - until the bar closed, actually. That would be about 2 am for those unfamiliar with the Portland nightlife scene.

I've been in Portland many times, and have been known to visit some of the local pubs, but I have to say I had no idea how loud they were until this trip. The noise spoiled an otherwise lovely night.

In all fairness, I did not contact management to ask to be located to another room or to complain about the noise, though I'm not sure what doing this would have accomplished as they could not install soundproofing at that time of evening or upon that short notice. Nor do they have the power to shut a business down.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to beef up sound control in those rooms somehow.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank NhTravelmama
Reviewed 17 July 2007

Our stay at the Portland Harbor Hotel was overall a good experience, but there were some things that I was disappointed with.
I thought the room was a good size, with a queen bed and a couch and desk. Nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was also quite large and spotlessly clean. I loved the location, right within walking distance to everything in the Old Port, fantastic!

The downside was that our room overlooked a noisy street filled with bars and loud music. Also, for almost $300 a night, I was shocked to find that when we went down for breakfast, it was not included in the price of the room!. We looked at the pricey menu and then went to the Dunkin' Donuts down the street!

I am most disappointed that, upon leaving the room, I left my comments on the provided comment card. I expressed my disappointment with the noise level in the room and the fact that not alot came with the $300/night price tag. I provided an email address and, about 1 month later, I still have not received a response from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank deslauren
Reviewed 3 July 2007

We were worried about this hotel after reading the reviews, but for the busy weekend they were the only hotel left that was dog friendly. Our room (315) were more spacious than we thought, it overlooked a cute garden courtyard. This hotel is ideally located and our dog loved being with us when we were dining. We visit many "dog friendly hotels", but many do not allow them to eat with us. The only strange thing is they didn't have a mini bar or any bottled water in the room. For the amount we paid, complimentary water is a must! Perk was free car service to the airport!

1  Thank Moxiepoodle
Reviewed 24 June 2007

First, let me preface by saying I worked for several years at the corporate (legal operations) level for a major hotel company with properties ranging from luxury collection to affordable chain hotels. With that experience, I tend to be quite patient and sympathetic to hotel staff and what they deal with on a daily basis. Having said that, I must say that I was a bit surprised at the quality of the hotel when we arrived. The hotel is in a great location, as many other people have indicated, shopping and restaurants are all within walking distance in this quaint city. The hotel gives a great first impression and the lobby is quite nice.

My husband checked in days earlier than me and our children, so made specific arrangements to have a room key put aside. Yet, the desk staff refused to provide the key and advised that my husband was not even a guest. Finally, she located his name but still would not provide the key despite my crying 10 month old and tired 2 year old. I finally asked if my license would be proof enough that I was the person for whom the key was set aside and she relented.

We stayed in one of the two room suites and it was roomy enough for the kids and provided us with privacy. However, the carpet was absolutely filthy. Our feet were literally black. Unfortunately, the bathroom wasn't in the best condition either. The floor and the bathtub were dirty with hair and a what I think was a soap scum/bathtub ring. There was an old gumball next to the couch and other debris behind the curtains. (We put our beach towels and and an extra blanket on the floor for the kids and moved on.

For the most part, we found the staff to be extremely pleasant and accomodating. My impression is that some front desk staff might view their position as "just a job" versus pursuing a career in the hospitality industry. The attention to detail that one might expect of a hotel with a four star distinction was just not there. For example, the photocopied directions to a Cape Elizabeth beach were wholly inaccurate, causing us to spend an extra 40 minutes in the car (not fun with toddlers who want to hit the beach). When we arrived back at the hotel that afternoon, I (nicely) let them know that the directions were wrong and were so they could be corrected for future guests.

The refridgerator they offered on the first day of our stay was delivered on the afternoon we were checking out.

My impression is that when the hotel initially opened , service, detail,and cleanliness were top notch. Often, after a few years in operation some newer hotels let things slip. I'd assume there must be some high staff turnover and the staff seemed quite young. We will be staying in the hotel often this summer as my husband is in Portland for business purposes. As such his room is paid for. I would not be able to justify paying the hotel rates if we were not being reimbursed. A nice hotel, I wouldn't classify it as luxury, but that can be turned around with some good management.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business