“Good quality, low value”
Review of El Rayo Cantina - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Rayo Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The drink options are plentiful and the prices reasonable. We arrived during happy hour (4-6 the day we were there). $5 margaritas were very good. The decor is nice and the waitstaff very pleasant and moderately attentive. The portions are really more like tapas-sized, though in reading the menu, the entrees seemed more like they would be entree sized. For example, my wife got enchiladas, which were good in quality, but were two very small tortillas. My burger ($13) tasted excellent, though it was approximately the size of a "slider", though there was only one burger. It was accompanied by 10-12 small potato chips. I was fine with much of this, though our group was leaving for a performance, so we did not have time to order another round. Overall, the way the menu reads and the prices suggested that the "entrees" would be appropriate for a meal, but this did not pan out. It's unfortunate, because the atmosphere is really nice, the service is good, and the taste of the food is nice. Our friends enjoyed their apps and meal though had the same overall impression: good quality, low value.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently had dinner at El Rayo Cantina and were very disappointed. We usually eat next door at the "sister" restaurant but thought we would give the Cantina a try. Despite the same location, menus, etc., our Cantina experience was quite different. We arrived around 8pm on a Thursday night and had to wait a few minutes for a table. I think we got there just after the rush, but we were largely ignored for the bulk of the evening. Servers and food took a long time to arrive despite the fact that there were very few people left in the restaurant - inside or out. A simple app order took over 40 mins and then no one ever appeared to check on us. We had to ask for plates ( got 2 for 3 people), and also for the status on our food. It was very frustrating. To top it off, 4 tacos and a Mexican style pizza and a few drinks cost $100.!! We were stunned. Food was good - but not THAT good. We hope to revisit the taqueria again in the future but not interested in returning to the cantina.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

One of me and my wifes' favorite spots. I have never eaten here in the winter, and this is only relevant because they have a very casual patio that we have sat at every time. Not on the water but still a nice relaxing spot to eat. Very fresh tasting food, and not at all heavy or very over seasoned. A good place locals like for latin fare.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

There are two building that are different but the same. Very confusing. On Sunday the Cantina only served brunch no tacos, but we decided to stay because it was a bit nicer. The brunch was excellent, I actually had a burger and it was a really good burger, better than most burger places. I also love they serve 4oz beers. I hate when you can’t get a beer back with a Bloody Marry. The Bloody Marry was excellent too, the habenero vodka was a little too spicy.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Being from TEXAS originally it is hard to impress with Mexican Food. This place has the BEST TAMALES we have EVER TASTED! You can get them every nite at the cantina or on Tuesdays at the other place. TAMALE TUESDAYS:-). We looove them. Very good guacamole as well.