“Pomegranate donuts rock”

Cuisines: American
Belfast, New York
“Pomegranate donuts rock”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I should qualify this by saying I'm not normally a donut fan. (I know. I know!) I tried a selection of their donuts. I really enjoyed the pomegranate one. However they managed to make a donut with potatoes in it that tastes light and doesn't weigh you down, they certainly achieved success!

Visited July 2014

Rochester, New York
“3 days in Portland= 3 donuts”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After reading many reviews on the Holy Donut, I knew we had to try it. After arriving to our hotel I asked the receptionist how far to get those prized donuts? A couple of turns and 10 minutes later I was sinking my teeth into the dark chocolate with sea salt donut. My husband ordered the maple and I ended up eating half of his. I'm not the biggest donut fan but trust me on this one... You have to have one! I ended up going to the Holy Donut each day that we spent in Portland and even brought one to the airport for our fly home. Absolutely amazing...

• Visited July 2014
Houston, Texas
“a must try”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Maine potato donuts? Well why not. Very good. Took a bit to get used to be I really liked it!! Donuts are the main attraction here - they did have a breakfast type sandwich with egg - but most everyone was enjoying the freshly made donuts in this cozy setting.

Visited March 2014
Mamaroneck, New York
“Beware - so yummy you won't eat just one”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is a must stop on any foodie venture into Portland. Perhaps not the most sophisticated item you will try but unusual and scrumptious. We bought the savory breakfast donut to eat there - you've gotta try it - fried like a zeppoli, a bit crispy and filled with eggs, bacon and cheese. You'll never want an ordinary bacon, egg and cheese sandwich again (although I'm positive this one packs a much greater caloric punch).

We took six to go so we could try a little of many flavors. Loved the key lime, the lemon and the ginger cannoli - not like real cannoli cream and didn't really get any ricotta flavor but creamy and yummy anyway so I'll give it a pass on the authenticity factor. Maybe they shouldn't call it "cannoli" at all but who cares. Gluten free didn't matter to us either and as it turns out, it definitely didn't matter to the taste. Holy Donut makes some damned good donuts.

• Visited July 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“YUM”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

amazing delish and a real Portland treat because did you know Maine is the #2 US exporter of potatoes? the bakery embraces this and uses partly potato flour... at first I was wearly, but it works!

Visited July 2014