“Can't stop thinking about it”
Review of The Holy Donut

The Holy Donut
Ranked #2 of 28 Bakeries in Portland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Bacon Cheddar donut is amazing! You must try it. chunks of real bacon inside. It was so satisfying! Sweet and savory delight of a breakfast. You know when you order pancakes with a side of bacon and the sweetness of the syrup is the perfect combo with the salty, savory bacon? Same thing here. I was only supposed to eat a bite before bed, saving the rest for breakfast. Well, I ate over half of it. My only regret was that I did not buy two.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,518)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I should qualify this by saying I'm not normally a donut fan. (I know. I know!) I tried a selection of their donuts. I really enjoyed the pomegranate one. However they managed to make a donut with potatoes in it that tastes light and doesn't weigh you down, they certainly achieved success!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

After reading many reviews on the Holy Donut, I knew we had to try it. After arriving to our hotel I asked the receptionist how far to get those prized donuts? A couple of turns and 10 minutes later I was sinking my teeth into the dark chocolate with sea salt donut. My husband ordered the maple and I ended up eating half of his. I'm not the biggest donut fan but trust me on this one... You have to have one! I ended up going to the Holy Donut each day that we spent in Portland and even brought one to the airport for our fly home. Absolutely amazing...

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Maine potato donuts? Well why not. Very good. Took a bit to get used to be I really liked it!! Donuts are the main attraction here - they did have a breakfast type sandwich with egg - but most everyone was enjoying the freshly made donuts in this cozy setting.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is a must stop on any foodie venture into Portland. Perhaps not the most sophisticated item you will try but unusual and scrumptious. We bought the savory breakfast donut to eat there - you've gotta try it - fried like a zeppoli, a bit crispy and filled with eggs, bacon and cheese. You'll never want an ordinary bacon, egg and cheese sandwich again (although I'm positive this one packs a much greater caloric punch).

We took six to go so we could try a little of many flavors. Loved the key lime, the lemon and the ginger cannoli - not like real cannoli cream and didn't really get any ricotta flavor but creamy and yummy anyway so I'll give it a pass on the authenticity factor. Maybe they shouldn't call it "cannoli" at all but who cares. Gluten free didn't matter to us either and as it turns out, it definitely didn't matter to the taste. Holy Donut makes some damned good donuts.