“Undeniably, the best donut I have ever had!!”
Review of The Holy Donut

The Holy Donut
Ranked #2 of 28 Bakeries in Portland
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
“Undeniably, the best donut I have ever had!!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I read about this place in the Boston Globe, and on our way up to our summer home in New Brunswick, Canada I actually had my husband turn around and backtrack, through construction to find this place. And am I ever glad that I did. HOLY DONUT!! is all you can say when you take your first bite. I had the Chocolate Glazed Coconut and the Chocolate Sea Salt. I loved both of them! Mind you I could only eat one per day because they are so filling...a meal in and of themselves. My grandfather from Maine used to make potato donuts, but nothing compared to this recipe. Holy Donut, you really need to expand to the Boston area at least. I suspect if you do, you will have the success akin to Steve's Ice Cream when they started small in Boston, with all the mixins. This is your calling, to make people happy. Will be putting in an order soon for your whisky bacon donuts!!!

“Awesome!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We were on our way out of Maine after or vacation and stopped in Portland to see a family member before heading ask the way home. We ended up going here based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and yelp and boy are we glad we did! I got a dark chocolate sea salt donut and it was one of the best donuts I've ever had. My fiance got a pomegranate glaze donut that was very good as well. We also split a donut called a holy cannoli which had a lemon ginger glaze and cannoli filling. Everything was fantastic and I would recommend anyone running through Portland to stop and try one. My only regret is that I went be able to try the other flavors until my next visit.

Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't stop thinking about it”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Bacon Cheddar donut is amazing! You must try it. chunks of real bacon inside. It was so satisfying! Sweet and savory delight of a breakfast. You know when you order pancakes with a side of bacon and the sweetness of the syrup is the perfect combo with the salty, savory bacon? Same thing here. I was only supposed to eat a bite before bed, saving the rest for breakfast. Well, I ate over half of it. My only regret was that I did not buy two.

Belfast, New York
“Pomegranate donuts rock”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I should qualify this by saying I'm not normally a donut fan. (I know. I know!) I tried a selection of their donuts. I really enjoyed the pomegranate one. However they managed to make a donut with potatoes in it that tastes light and doesn't weigh you down, they certainly achieved success!

Visited July 2014
Rochester, New York
“3 days in Portland= 3 donuts”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After reading many reviews on the Holy Donut, I knew we had to try it. After arriving to our hotel I asked the receptionist how far to get those prized donuts? A couple of turns and 10 minutes later I was sinking my teeth into the dark chocolate with sea salt donut. My husband ordered the maple and I ended up eating half of his. I'm not the biggest donut fan but trust me on this one... You have to have one! I ended up going to the Holy Donut each day that we spent in Portland and even brought one to the airport for our fly home. Absolutely amazing...