“Visited every day of our trip!”

Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
Ranked #8 of 22 Dessert in Portland
Description: MDI Ice Cream is hand-made artisanal ice cream, made with organic milk and cream and an attention to selection of ingredients. We aim to make flavors that are forward looking without being sensational for its own sake. Selected as a top ice cream shop from "Food and Wine."
New York City, New York
“Visited every day of our trip!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My friend and I stumbled upon Mt. desert Ice Cream by chance on a recent visit to Portland. Heaven in a waffle cone! I recommend "Root Beer."

We returned for desert first every evening of the trip. The homemade ice cream and unique flavors were delicious, the service very friendly, the recommendations sincere, and the demeanor no nonsense.

There are a few stools and a bench if you prefer to sit to enjoy your treat. But why sit when you can wander the cute town of Portland while you binge!

• Visited August 2014

Florida
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This place has a dazzling array of gorgeous flavors, each one more tempting than the last. I'm just sorry I was only in town for 1 day and could only visit them once!

Visited June 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“A must taste for Portland”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I appreciate creativity in ALL forms. Creativity in ice cream is in my world, a requirement. Few ice cream shops make me swoon. MDI Ice Cream is my ice cream Holy Grail. They are happy to supply samples if you aren't sure the interesting names will add up to happiness on your tongue. The lines may be a bit long, but the service will always be cheerful. Skip dessert at dinner and stroll over here for a delightful experience.

• Visited August 2013
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Interesting Flavors..”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The ice cream flavors are not your ordinary ice cream flavors. When I went, the only "normal" flavor was coffee. I sampled a few and then chose a coffee milkshake. It was just ok. It was a bit pricey for the sizes offered. This is the perfect place if you are adventurous in your ice cream flavors. If you want mint chocolate chip or toppings on your ice cream - this isn't the place for you.

• Visited October 2013
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Unique flavors, tastes great!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Decided on a mid-afternoon impulse treat as we strolled by this place. It looked so good from the outside that we had to see what they had to offer. We were really impressed by the unique flavors they offered. They even let us have a few samples to see which one we wanted which was helpful. We were then blown away by the taste of the choices we made. Great ice cream and sorbet. While a bit expensive it is totally worth it as a unique treat that you can tell is made with quality ingredients. Can't wait to try more flavors!

• Visited September 2013