“Relaxing, enjoyable, warmly received and felt like home.”
Review of Inn On Carleton

Inn On Carleton
Ranked #4 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Starkville, Mississippi
“Relaxing, enjoyable, warmly received and felt like home.”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Buddy and his staff has wonderful service while staying at this lovely bed and breakfast. My spouse and I really enjoyed our stay and wish we could have stayed longer. The common area was warm, inviting, and felt like home. And oh my gosh breakfast was GREAT!

Just wanted to send out a thanks and if we find ourselves up that way
again, rest assured that we will be looking up this place to stay. Do not
think we could think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I have become wary about lodging reviews, as so many (especially in New York City) seem over-inflated, if not downright fraudulent. Not so about the Inn on Carleton. This is a lovely, romantic, quiet, perfectly maintained B&B that's a pure pleasure--to which we look forward to returning. Portland has become one of the hippest towns in America, with great restaurants and amazing architecture. Many visitors who never go beyond the waterfront neighborhood are missing very much. The Inn on Carleton is perfectly situated to take in all of Portland.

Cumberland RI
Reviewed 14 March 2011

We stayed at The Inn on Carleton recently as part of a trip to see Riverdance in Portland. The Inn is beautifully decorated and exceptionally clean. The rooms, the common areas, and especially the warm atmosphere are all first-rate. We asked Buddy for a dinner recommendation and his choice was excellent. The cookies were a great snack after returning from the show. We had a wonderful breakfast in the dining room the following morning. It was by far the best B&B experience we've ever had!!!

1 Thank JohnxSueM
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We picked this spot for an overnight getaway and were not disappointed. This is a well-maintained, beautifully decorated inn, offering warm hospitality. It is in a nice location for exploring the city on foot. The gourmet breakfast was a real treat. We would definitely stay here again!

Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2011

My husband and a great time here. We loved everything about it. Buddy was a wonderful host and chef. For breakfast, we had several choices and it was all delicious. He even offered seconds and thirds. Buddy was full of great suggestions for places to go and things to do. He was just beginning to make changes after buying the inn. I can't wait to return and see how it looks now. This is a great place to stay because of Buddy but also because it's close to so many places.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Wakefield, RI
Reviewed 1 March 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Inn on Carleton. Though we didn't get to meet the innkeeper because he was away, Laura took excellent care of us and made delicious breakfasts (pumpkin pancakes on day 1, and the yummiest scones I've ever had along with veggie omelets on day 2). The inn was cozy and quiet, and Laura was gracious and helpful when my husband and I were trying to figure out what to do in Portland. She even tried to make dinner reservations for us, but the restaurant, Fore Street, didn't have anything available. The inn is a bit far from Old Port, which I knew prior to booking our room, so that was fine.
The only complaint I have is that I specifically chose the room because it has a "soak tub," but the tub was soooo tiny that it wasn't even comfortable to sit in.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2011

My husband and I came up to Portland for just one night and as soon as we stepped inside the Inn on Carleton I wish I had made reservations for 2 nights instead. Buddy and his colleagues were very hospitable, the room was perfectly made, and breakfast was delicious and the perfect amount of food. We have already talked about going back this summer.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple