The location is great, the facility itself is a gem and the owners are very personable. For that I give it 4 stars. But from the moment I checked in, the manager's attitude was totally off-putting. Having chatted with the owners, this young fellow, Dylan, clearly has their confidence ("like a member of the family") but he could kill their business. Myself, I would think thrice before staying there again and putting up with his nonsense.
For instance, the first morning he asked how I would like my eggs. When I said poached, he replied "I knew you'd say that" in a way that suggested it was just too much trouble for him. I don't need that first thing in the morning. (He did, however, produce very good eggs.)
Later, when the weather turned and I said I'd like to stay another night, he replied that I'd have to change rooms. For the same rate ($110), I'd need to move upstairs. Really? On a Monday in December? Oh well. I supposed my room had been previously booked and the inference was that they were nearly full. About 10 minutes later he informed me "we've decided" that I didn't have to move after all. Turned out that there was only one other room, of 6 in all, occupied that night. Jeezzz.
This guy needs some serious customer service training although I noticed that his attitude was much much better when an owner was within earshot. "Would you like some cookies to take with you?" Ugh.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Restored 1869 Victorian located in Portland's historic Western Promenade. A short walk to the Portland museum of art, Maine medical, the arts district, the waterfront with shops and fine restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and Ebookers so you can book your Inn On Carleton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn On Carleton Hotel Portland
- Inn On Carleton Portland, Maine