“Snide manager”
Review of Inn On Carleton

Inn On Carleton
Ranked #4 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The location is great, the facility itself is a gem and the owners are very personable. For that I give it 4 stars. But from the moment I checked in, the manager's attitude was totally off-putting. Having chatted with the owners, this young fellow, Dylan, clearly has their confidence ("like a member of the family") but he could kill their business. Myself, I would think thrice before staying there again and putting up with his nonsense.

For instance, the first morning he asked how I would like my eggs. When I said poached, he replied "I knew you'd say that" in a way that suggested it was just too much trouble for him. I don't need that first thing in the morning. (He did, however, produce very good eggs.)

Later, when the weather turned and I said I'd like to stay another night, he replied that I'd have to change rooms. For the same rate ($110), I'd need to move upstairs. Really? On a Monday in December? Oh well. I supposed my room had been previously booked and the inference was that they were nearly full. About 10 minutes later he informed me "we've decided" that I didn't have to move after all. Turned out that there was only one other room, of 6 in all, occupied that night. Jeezzz.

This guy needs some serious customer service training although I noticed that his attitude was much much better when an owner was within earshot. "Would you like some cookies to take with you?" Ugh.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank chasinchelsea
b757ac, Owner at Inn On Carleton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Response to "Snide Manager" Review on Trip Advisor: We do have an assistant Innkeeper which Dillion takes so much pride in working here at the Inn when I am not here.
As always we take every review to heart and want nothing more then to meet our guests needs. We take great pride in always welcoming guests with professional enthuisam. The first impression is very important.!!!!!!!
Rooms are available for checkin at 3PM and this gentleman had walked in at 1PM asking if we had rooms available that evening and asked about the prices of the rooms. We had no issue showing him the rooms available and explained the room rates. This gentleman scoffed at the prices and decided on a room at the lowest rate. We then helped him take his bags to his room and even helped plan his trip in Portland offering him sites to see and attractions to visit including restaurants. He seemed very pleased with us helping him.
As far as breakfast is concerned, we are always able to provide granola, yogurt, and fresh fruit, the special dish of the day, and eggs made to order. In this case the gentleman was offered the hot dish of the day, which he kindly refused, and we offered to make him eggs any style. We always strive to make the guest feel as comfortable and provide an excellent breakfast, and will never have an issue producing poached eggs. All that being done with a smile.
When the guest asked to stay another night, we knew we had availability. However, a guest had reserved the room he was staying in. We needed to contact that guest beforehand to offer them an upgraded room. Contacting the guest who already reserved that room is the right thing to do in this case.
All in all we here at the Inn on Carleton take pride in providing excellent guest services, which the numerous tripadvisor reviews demonstrate.
Sincerely
Buddy Marcum Innkeeper

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

We returned to the Inn at Carleton for another long thanksgiving weekend. It was like returning home. Buddy and Cindy make the elegance, charm and comfort of the Inn a one -of-a kind place. The rooms are warm and inviting and the breakfasts are delicious. We cannot wait to return.

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Gourmet breakfasts, the nicest rooms, outstanding service and great location make this a must stay bed and breakfast!

My wife left her cell phone and they mailed it to our home! Thanks Buddy and Cindy.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful B&B that should not be missed. The only experience better than the property itself is Buddy and Cindy who have enough personality for any four people, just fabulous individuals. They truly enjoy their work and make you feel like family. Breakfast was amazing. We will make it a point to re visit them soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

It will be difficult to put into words our experience at the Inn on Carleton. There isn't one thing about our three nights that I could change or improve. The passion and enthusiasm that radiate from Buddy and Cindy, the charm of the inn, the location, the delicious (and generous) breakfasts each morning (and the fresh cookies each night)... not a single improvement could be made. My husband and I came for our first anniversary and enjoyed our stay tremendously. I've had a bad B & B experience in the past -- and staying with Buddy completely cured me of all fears!

We stayed in Room #1 and were delighted with our choice. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were soft, the room had lovely decor, we didn't hear a peep - not a thing -- from any of the other rooms, even though the Inn was completely full during our stay. The room and bathroom were both immaculate, and contained everything you could possibly need.

Cindy and Buddy were spot on with the dining recommendations, as well as their directions around Portland, and their suggestions for activities. The location was perfect on a quiet tree-lined street. Far enough off the beaten path to be quiet, but within walking distance to everything. If we ever get to come back, this is the place we will stay. I told Buddy before we left that I wanted to move in. A welcoming, lovely, warm place to stay, with every comfort you can imagine!!

Room Tip: Room 1 was huge, comfortable, clean, had lovely decor, and water pressure out of this world!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Buddy and Cindy crackle with personality and warmth, just like the Inn on Carleton! From the moment we arrived, as we overheard Buddy joking with the guest who arrived just ahead of us--someone who came to the inn regularly--we knew that this was a place where people felt immediately at home. The inn is a historic brownstone in Portland's West End. The West End, home to most of the leading bed and breakfasts in Portland, is a lively neighborhood in its own right and perhaps a mile walk to the tourist-oriented Old Port.

We enjoyed everything about our stay. Room 3 ("our room") is an incredible private suite, with a short hallway connecting the bedroom and bathroom. The bed, the linens, the huge new shower--everything was outstanding. Each afternoon we looked forward to desserts in the main hall (especially those blondies!), and we had a delicious breakfast each morning. We are vegetarian, and Cindy and Buddy picked up special vegetarian sausage for us, which immediately became a favorite. (We still buy it four months later for own home, and it brings back wonderful memories.)

We would not change a thing, and we can't wait to get back!

Room Tip: Room 3 is an incredible private suite, with a short hallway connecting the bedroom (with king-sized...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gammster
b757ac, Owner at Inn On Carleton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words on the Inn on Carleton. My pride and joy !! We do get a lot of return guests and it is like having family come back for a visit. We are glad you enjoyed your guest room # 3 Yes a Guests favorite. We hope to see you back soon for another visit.
Warm Regards
Buddy Innkeeper

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just got back from a long weekend at Inn On Carleton and it was great! Rooms are so warm and cozy, the assistant Innkeeper Cindy is a doll, and the breakfast each morning was perfect! There is always fresh baked goods put out each afternoon and a wide variety of teas and other snacks as well. They were very good at making sure to give you your personal space yet make sure you were as comfortable as possible each day and that you had everything that you needed. This place is a must!! We loved every minute there.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 on the top floor. Its like having your own little private suite :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple