“Wonderful stay!”

Ranked #3 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Wonderful stay!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and I visited Portland in November 2013 as part of a five week trip to the US from Australia.

The Inn was a great place to stay for two nights to recharge the batteries after three weeks of constant travel.

The Innkeepers, Buddy and Cindy were great hosts and we certainly had no complaints about either the room or the Inn in general. Breakfast was made to order and was able to accomodate my wife who is vegetarian.

The Inn is within 15 mins walk of the downtown area which was great as we did not have a car and the innkeepers recommended some great places to eat.

Portland is a fun place to visit and the Inn on Carleton was the perfect place to experience it!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We loved our stay at the Inn on Carleton. We spent one night at the Inn after staying with family nearby for the holidays. It was a great getaway and we really enjoyed ourselves. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious. The rooms are even better than they look in the photos, with original crown molding, comfortable beds and a great electric fireplace. The large DVD collection was just what we needed for a relaxing night away.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I just spent two nights at the Inn and would absolutely go back. Comfortable, cozy, friendly ( who wouldn't love Cindy's sweetness and enthusiasm?). We had the best dinner we have had in quite awhile at Five Fifty-five restaurant. A suggestion from a member of the staff. They pay attention to the detail which we appreciate. Thumbs up...we will be back!

Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed at the Inn for 3 days over Christmas. It is a beautiful old brownstone and we had a nicely decorated bedroom and bath on the top floor. Excellent mattress, lots of hot water and plenty of water pressure. We really did feel comfortable using the common area since the innkeepers said we could and the innkeepers had their own private space. The breakfasts were fabulous! Eggs, french toast, fruit -- all enough to give us a great start to the day. We walked the 5 blocks or so down to the Old Port and had an amazing dinner at Five Fifty-Five. All in all, a great stay in a really fun city.

PA
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Inn on Carlton is a restored Victorian home in a quiet residential neighborhood close to downtown. Parking is provided. Check in is between 3 and 7. We were told if we could not make it by 7, they would leave keys and information for us. Our room was #3 on 2nd floor. As this was the end of our New England trip, we had difficulty getting luggage up 2 staircases (outside and inside). Because of stairs, i would recommend another location if you have any mobility issues. Our room was lovely with large king bed, electric fireplace and layout that felt like a suite. The high ceilings and chandeliers provided an elegant touch. The Inn keepers were warm and helpful. My only complaints were housekeeping and breakfast. When I moved the nightstand to access the outlet, I was stunned to see major dust bunnies. As I have dust allergy, I found myself stuffy in the morning. Breakfast started with fruit cup and grocery store type blueberry muffin with fake blueberries. Several pieces of fruit were rotten in fruit cup and since we were in blueberry country, I expected a muffin with real fruit, preferably home made. Next came eggs cooked to order, bacon or sausage, grilled crossant and home fries. The eggs were over done, potatoes were cold and bacon was really greasy. I heard other table with same complaint about cold home fries. Overall, we enjoyed our stay but probably will not return.

1 Thank PAHITTHEROAD
b757ac, Owner at Inn On Carleton, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
We are just heart broken over this past review. We take each and every review to heart. We are sorry that these guest did not enjoy there stay with us. I am the owner and the Innkeeper of the Inn on Carleton and also my pride and joy. I for one will make sure to check each room for any dust bunnies that may have found there way into the Inn. As for breakfast I was the one that helped out that morning and feel so bad that these guest did not enjoy the breakfast and wish they would have said something that morning. We would have gone out of our way to make them something else or even warm the potatoes that were not warm for some reason. That morning I believe we did have homemade cranberry muffins not blueberry. but not important. From our past reviews you can see that we will go above and beyond for our guest to enjoy there stay with us. Happy Holidays from all of us here at the Inn
Warm Regards
Buddy Innkeeper
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Thank you Dillon for a great stay at the Inn on Carleton! The rooms, meals and service were perfect. I've had the great pleasure to stay at many luxury hotels and top rated B&B's, and the Inn on Carleton is certainly top notch. The inn and it's keepers provided a warm and friendly home base during my stay in Portland. Dillon made wonderful meals, and upon my early departure on my last morning(5:45am), he had homemade muffins & hot coffee ready for me on my way out the door. Simply the best. I also had the pleasure to meet Cindy, and she is just plain awesome. Major Kudos to Dillon and Cindy. I pray Y'all and your families have a wonderful and magical Christmas!
I look forward to my next trip up to Portland and a Brilliant stay at the Inn on Carleton!
Thanks!
Daniel F.
Atlanta, GA

Room Tip: All the rooms looked beautiful. I stayed in room 1 and it was really nice with the windows and morni...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We spent two nights at the Inn On Carleton and will certainly be coming back. The atmosphere was perfect, historic and charming but with all the modern amenities. Our room #1 was large and comfortable and the bathroom had a great shower with good water pressure. We usually stay in the Old Port area when we go to Portland and I was a little worried that this would feel far away. But the walk was quick (just 1 mile to Exchange St.) and there were lots of interesting shops and restaurants along the way. Even with some very cold weather we felt the location was great.

Other items, breakfast was delicious both mornings. We spent some time one afternoon enjoying the sitting room with tea, magazines and piano. The radiators in our room didn't seem to be working at one point, but Dylan was very helpful and got the heat going for us. When he came back up a little later to make sure everything was ok, he came bearing plate of fresh cookies. :-) Friendly staff, beautiful building, good location, comfortable, chic atmosphere, we have only good things to say.

Thanks for a great weekend!