Being rated the #1 B and B in Portland may have set too high an expectation in our minds for the Inn on Carleton (IOC). The #1 rating put us in mind of Inns listed in the Select Registry , some of which we've visited. The building is nice condition, comfortable, and well maintained.
There were just a few things that detracted from the overall experience. Upon opening a bifold door labeled "fire escape" the old servant's staircase was found but cluttered with painting equipment and other repair tools. This seemed a little lacking in attention to detail both from an appearance and safety perspective. The shower curtain was noticeably mildewed but not smelly. My wife and I both found the mattress on our bed gave us sore backs. This may be why we prefer a firm mattress but neither of us usually arises with a sore back from a bed different than our own. Breakfast did not rise to the level set by the books displayed in the dining room , "The Art of Breakfast" among them. A fruit cup with yogurt and granola followed by a "Croque Madam" that was good but not exciting.
We enjoyed our stay at IOC and felt we got fair value, enjoyed the Inn and were treated wonderfully by the Innkeepers. The discrepancies we noticed in some of the details seemed at odds with the # 1 Inn in Portland title.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Restored 1869 Victorian located in Portland's historic Western Promenade. A short walk to the Portland museum of art, Maine medical, the arts district, the waterfront with shops and fine restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Inn On Carleton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn On Carleton Hotel Portland
- Inn On Carleton Portland, Maine