“Just a little more...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Just a little more...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

i want to start by saying that Linda is one of the genuinely warmest & interested people we have met on our trip to the US this year. The house is lovely & absolutely homely, the addition of feline company made it attractive to us when we planned to stay here as we knew we would be missing our own moggie by the time we got to Portland... We were pretty thirsty & tired when we arrived & it would have been nice to have been offered a drink - especially as there was no provision in the room (due to shortage of space I guess) - although I think that if I had asked we would have got something.we were in the Blue Room which seemed a little oppresive to me - the comfortable dark wood bed was comfortable but took up most of the space & the lighting (only the centre lamp worked) didnt help with this feeling... The shared bathroom was ok - as towelling robes were provided, however the sticking bathroom door proved a little challenging - having to put one's weight against the door to bolt it and then pull hard with the left hand on the clothes hook to pull it open - I am sure this can be easily addressed & meant to mention it before we left but got preoccupied so sorry for that! Breakfast was really good - fresh fruit with yoghurt followed by French toast - scrummy, only slightly let down by coffee which was so weak we thought it could be tea... Our hire car died again overnight & Linda was very helpful with letting us use the phone, wait on the porch & offering a cold drink while we waited. All in all this really should be a three & a half & with a couple of tweaks would have made it a four for us.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FlorenceScholar

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

we (2 adults, 2 grown-up kids) stayed here for 2 nights. we simply loved it! It's like staying at your favourite aunt's home. cozy, comfy and very welcoming. Honestly, this was not our first choice - We ended up here as most of our 'preferred' hotels were booked, that very busy weekend. This, being our first B+B stay in our 2 week trip to the US - we were initially apprehensive, as it felt like we were intruding into someone's home. But Linda certainly made us feel very welcomed. And after meeting Jim... all fears were dispelled!

Rooms are very comfortable, clean. breakfast was a delicious. sitting in the porch, chatting with Jim was one of the highlights of our trip. Fleetwood is just a short distance from downtown Portland, a sweet reprive away from the bustle of the town. The cats were no bother at all. Our only regret is not staying longer!

The B+B is as comfortable and not lacking as compared with any other hotel, but it was the charming Linda & Jim that made all the difference!!! So much so, we invited them to stay at our homes, if ever they take that holiday and make their way to Malaysia :)

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

A few days ago, as I was on holidays in New-York, I thought it'd be great to take the train to Portland (Maine) and drive along the coast. With my sister (we're both French, she lives in Tours -Loire Valley- and I live in Dublin -Ireland-)we booked a room at the Fleetwood House through bedandbreakfast.com.

We had barely opened the door around 6pm that we were greeted very warmly by the owner (husband) of the lovely little house two minute drive from the harbour of Portland. The living room was so welcoming and the room would under rate a five star hotel just by having a look at it. The bed? So somfy! We slept very well. In the morning, the owner (wife) had made breakfast. The dining area made us believing we were at home.

The orange juice in wine glasses woke us up gently and the coffee was tasty. As we're cat lovers, we really enjoyed the company of their four leg friends! We so enjoyed everything that we had decided to reserve the room for a second unplanned night in Portland. And the following day, the superb home-made french toast with fresh fruits had been replaced by a delicious cooked to perfection omelette.

We felt quite sad when we left. I must certainely sound like I'm over reacting and exagerating but please, do believe me when I say that I'm not. You're planning a couple of days in Maine, stay at the Fleetwooh House! You'll love it!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank JulienClarke
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I want to give it a half point extra, it was better than Average, but less than Very Good. Linda was kind and helpful, when our GPS directed us to Fleetwood House around dinner time. Despite our unexpected arrival, she welcomed us and we had a nice room upstairs. There are cats on the property, which is fine with me as I myself have cats at home, and I did not spot any cats in the guest rooms while I was there. Breakfast was nice as well. There was no problem with the shared bathroom either, we didn't see any other guests until breakfast time. It felt a little like you were staying in the spare room at someone's house, as it sometimes does in a B+B. For this reason I think it was slightly overpriced, but it could be more a symptom of the area of Portland than over-zealous pricing on the part of the hosts. We enjoyed our stay just fine.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

My husband and I were never in Portland before and thankfully for our GPS we found the Fleetwood House. Fleetwood House was close to the wharf, yet far enough away from all the hustle and bustle of the downtown area. It gave us a home down feeling, at the same time was elegant in its decorative style of the rooms and bathroom. Linda and Jim were great hosts and it was our pleasure to stay in a home that Linda grew up in. We thoroughly enjoyed sharing stories with Jim on the front porch of the home, it topped off our daily activities down at the wharf. As a child I always wanted to have a wrap around porch. This gave me an opportunity to sit and enjoy one. It is a great value with good food. It is definitely a place we would stay in again. Thank you Linda and Jim!
Cal and Shelly Moser

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Groton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

Beware of the Fleetwood House

My wife and I had a terrible experience at the Fleetwood House Bed and Breakfast in Portland, ME the other night. Before I share it, it is important to know that neither of us have ever complained to hotel management during our extensive travels over the last 25 years; we’re accustomed to a range in quality, and we typically go with the flow. We booked The Bay Room in the bed and breakfast for Friday and Saturday nights. I paid a standard nonrefundable deposit on the room, and then we arrived and checked in as planned. After dropping off our luggage we headed out for the evening, and then returned to sleep around 11:30. Our room was warm and smelled quite badly – the words “sickening”, “oppressive” and “putrid” come to mind -- we believed a combination of cigarette smoke and cat dander (we’d seen 5 cats, but suspected there were several more), so we opened the windows for the fresh cool evening air since there are no air conditioner’s at the Fleetwood. We quickly discovered the horrendous truck noises from the interstate highway nearby, which were so loud that several times my wife and I had to repeat ourselves to be clearly heard. As we tried to sleep, the screaming trucks were soon accompanied by crying cats inside, as well as the occasional bang of the communal bathroom door, since only one of the rooms actually has its own bathroom. All of this was bad enough, but what really did us in was the accumulative effect of the horrendous brew of cigarette smoke and cat dander (i.e., particles of dried dead cat skin, oil, and saliva) that saturated the Fleetwood. By 4:00, after several sleepless hours of this noise and stench, though neither of us had ever had a reaction to cats before, we had each developed severe allergic reactions that required us to leave the house altogether. Specifically, my wife's eyes were almost completely closed from the swelling, and both of us were having trouble breathing. After making the decision to bail, we hastily packing our bags and then slept in our car from 4:00 AM until 7:00 AM. I then found Linda inside and checked out before breakfast since we simply could not stay in the house.

When I explained our allergic reaction to Linda, the proprietor, she adamantly refused to work with us on the bill, and we learned that she had already charged my credit card for our entire stay. She simply explained that “I’m sorry it turned out this way”, and then ended the conversation. In short, then, we found ourselves out on the street and unable to stay in Fleetwood House Bed and Breakfast because it is a toxic, unhealthy and inhospitable environment. We had been charged over $300.00 for this experience, and now had no place to stay. Because it was high season in Portland, we could not find another room and were forced to return home from our vacation. Yes, Linda, “We’re sorry it turned out this way.”

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
37 Thank robicarr3
breggia1, Owner at Fleetwood House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
As the Innkeeper of the Fleetwood House B & B, I must comment on this last review.I have been in business for eleven years and on a rare occasion you will get a person that is dissatisfied with everything but for the most part the guests that come to our B & B are very happy when they leave.The guests in question booked their reservation thru Instant World Booking and to get to the reservation site you have to past a very large cat that tells guests that we do have resident cats, So Beware. I feel badly that their stay was cut short but they also need to know that this is a business and that when a guest reserves a room, I am turning other guests away because of their reservation.I do not have 5 or more cats, I have 4 indoor/outdoor cats, in the spring, summer, and fall they prefer to be outdoors. My cats are not allowed in the guest's bedrooms but on occasion a guest will sneak one in for a while, and I do discourage this.My rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and I do take offence when someone states my rooms are dirty, this is my residence also. I do know that cats shed, that’s why I am constantly vacuuming and as for cat scales, I've never seen one. Perhaps he brought a microscope for that purpose.The noise level he experienced is city noise, not highway noise. We are at least 2 miles from the interstate.I have to admit the air conditioner in that room was not put in on time, but is in place now. My maintenance man was tied up on another job and wasn't able to get here in time. So I do apologize for that.I hope B & B guests will take what I am saying into consideration.We are not an undesirable place to stay and try really hard to please our guests.
Manchester. CT, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

Great Breakfast.
Owner very helpful with local sights. Kind of Victorian Theme.

• Liked — Victorian room with bath
  • Disliked — tight parking situation
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Joe062