“Looking for a place with Elegance, Great hospitality and Friendly? This is it!”

Fleetwood House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2010

My husband and I were never in Portland before and thankfully for our GPS we found the Fleetwood House. Fleetwood House was close to the wharf, yet far enough away from all the hustle and bustle of the downtown area. It gave us a home down feeling, at the same time was elegant in its decorative style of the rooms and bathroom. Linda and Jim were great hosts and it was our pleasure to stay in a home that Linda grew up in. We thoroughly enjoyed sharing stories with Jim on the front porch of the home, it topped off our daily activities down at the wharf. As a child I always wanted to have a wrap around porch. This gave me an opportunity to sit and enjoy one. It is a great value with good food. It is definitely a place we would stay in again. Thank you Linda and Jim!
Cal and Shelly Moser

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Groton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Beware of the Fleetwood House

My wife and I had a terrible experience at the Fleetwood House Bed and Breakfast in Portland, ME the other night. Before I share it, it is important to know that neither of us have ever complained to hotel management during our extensive travels over the last 25 years; we’re accustomed to a range in quality, and we typically go with the flow. We booked The Bay Room in the bed and breakfast for Friday and Saturday nights. I paid a standard nonrefundable deposit on the room, and then we arrived and checked in as planned. After dropping off our luggage we headed out for the evening, and then returned to sleep around 11:30. Our room was warm and smelled quite badly – the words “sickening”, “oppressive” and “putrid” come to mind -- we believed a combination of cigarette smoke and cat dander (we’d seen 5 cats, but suspected there were several more), so we opened the windows for the fresh cool evening air since there are no air conditioner’s at the Fleetwood. We quickly discovered the horrendous truck noises from the interstate highway nearby, which were so loud that several times my wife and I had to repeat ourselves to be clearly heard. As we tried to sleep, the screaming trucks were soon accompanied by crying cats inside, as well as the occasional bang of the communal bathroom door, since only one of the rooms actually has its own bathroom. All of this was bad enough, but what really did us in was the accumulative effect of the horrendous brew of cigarette smoke and cat dander (i.e., particles of dried dead cat skin, oil, and saliva) that saturated the Fleetwood. By 4:00, after several sleepless hours of this noise and stench, though neither of us had ever had a reaction to cats before, we had each developed severe allergic reactions that required us to leave the house altogether. Specifically, my wife's eyes were almost completely closed from the swelling, and both of us were having trouble breathing. After making the decision to bail, we hastily packing our bags and then slept in our car from 4:00 AM until 7:00 AM. I then found Linda inside and checked out before breakfast since we simply could not stay in the house.

When I explained our allergic reaction to Linda, the proprietor, she adamantly refused to work with us on the bill, and we learned that she had already charged my credit card for our entire stay. She simply explained that “I’m sorry it turned out this way”, and then ended the conversation. In short, then, we found ourselves out on the street and unable to stay in Fleetwood House Bed and Breakfast because it is a toxic, unhealthy and inhospitable environment. We had been charged over $300.00 for this experience, and now had no place to stay. Because it was high season in Portland, we could not find another room and were forced to return home from our vacation. Yes, Linda, “We’re sorry it turned out this way.”

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
37 Thank robicarr3
breggia1, Owner at Fleetwood House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
As the Innkeeper of the Fleetwood House B & B, I must comment on this last review.I have been in business for eleven years and on a rare occasion you will get a person that is dissatisfied with everything but for the most part the guests that come to our B & B are very happy when they leave.The guests in question booked their reservation thru Instant World Booking and to get to the reservation site you have to past a very large cat that tells guests that we do have resident cats, So Beware. I feel badly that their stay was cut short but they also need to know that this is a business and that when a guest reserves a room, I am turning other guests away because of their reservation.I do not have 5 or more cats, I have 4 indoor/outdoor cats, in the spring, summer, and fall they prefer to be outdoors. My cats are not allowed in the guest's bedrooms but on occasion a guest will sneak one in for a while, and I do discourage this.My rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and I do take offence when someone states my rooms are dirty, this is my residence also. I do know that cats shed, that’s why I am constantly vacuuming and as for cat scales, I've never seen one. Perhaps he brought a microscope for that purpose.The noise level he experienced is city noise, not highway noise. We are at least 2 miles from the interstate.I have to admit the air conditioner in that room was not put in on time, but is in place now. My maintenance man was tied up on another job and wasn't able to get here in time. So I do apologize for that.I hope B & B guests will take what I am saying into consideration.We are not an undesirable place to stay and try really hard to please our guests.
Manchester. CT, USA
Reviewed 6 October 2008

Great Breakfast.
Owner very helpful with local sights. Kind of Victorian Theme.

• Liked — Victorian room with bath
  • Disliked — tight parking situation
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Joe062
Sandown NH
Reviewed 29 June 2008

A much needed rest from kids and business, I found this B & B just what we needed. The rooms were neat, clean, and very comfortable, in fact the whole house was just beautifully decorated.
Being a amatur gardener at heart found the gardens a bonus we didn't expect. The hosts were gracious and went out of their way to assist me in our directions and finding just the right places for us to visit. The restrauants and shows they suggested were perfect. I would not hesitate to recommend a stay at the Fleetwood House to my friends and associates.

• Liked — The atmospher
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 4 August 2006

Let me first say that the owners seem very nice and are welcoming people, willing to accommodate requests. That said, they are not meticulous enough to run a nice B&B. There is too much cat fur in the rooms; if you drop a piece of black clothing on one of the throw rugs, as I did, it will be covered in fur. The common areas really smell of cat, even in the summer, when all the windows are open. The furniture is dusty. The towels are definitely a mixed bag. There is no service AT ALL in the room during the day. As in, if your bed is unmade in the morning, it will remain unmade when you return at night. I have never heard of that, and I've stayed at a lot of B&Bs here and abroad. It's not advertised as an apartment, after all!

Also keep in mind: It's not just a shared bathroom, but a bathroom shared by 3 rooms, so up to 6 people. That was too many for me, especially since there are no sinks in the rooms, so you can't even brush teeth/wash hands/etc. without the bathroom being free.

It's not a good location in Portland, either - it's just off a highway on the way to the airport - so you won't get the sea breezes or convenience to attractions that you would get in a place in town.

Finally, the unforgiveable B&B sin: breakfast the second morning was very skimpy - just 2 pancakes on a plate, not even fruit or toast or eggs. And they don't put out a sideboard with cereal and fruit.

Overall, I think if this place cost about $90 per night in-season, it might be worth it to put up with the not-so-nice conditions, but it's dreadfully overpriced at $130.

• Liked — Kind, friendly owners
  • Disliked — Not clean, skimpy breakfast, low-quality linens and towels
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
13 Thank NoSolicitations
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 July 2004

I went to an artist workshop weekend, hosted by
the fleetwood house B & B. They were most gracious, and very accommodating to our group. The property and surrounding gardens were just lovely, everything was in bloom, just what we needed for our classes. I would love to come again with my husband. Thank you again to our hosts.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Watertown, NY
Reviewed 21 March 2004

My wife and I stayed at Fleetwood House last summer and found it charming reasonably priced. The home owner does have pets and we enjoyed them. The gardens were very nice and we enjoyed spending alot of time on the deck. Portland beingpricey at times we found room price reasonableand very comfortable.

3 Thank Gregory T