“An 'Innocent Oasis' in the Heart of Portland”
Review of Deering Oaks Park

Deering Oaks Park
Ranked #45 of 151 things to do in Portland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It was the early 1940s. WWII was raging overseas. I was 6 years old. We had moved to the coastal Maine city of Portland. At night, neighbors in silver helmets made sure our blackout curtains were on. Our ships watched out for invading Nazi U-boats. Voices on the radio were ominous, and often gloomy.
---Searching for at least temporary relief from the fears of war, my family discovered the Deering Oaks. There, I discovered, all my cares were forgotten as I joined dozens of other kids cavorting in the waist-high pool.
---After a while, I joined others in the long, paved walk at the edge of the much larger Pond, watching boaters and ducks moving on the water, the city's eastern buildings in the distance.
---At last I arrived at the stone store where the candy and ice cream were dispensed. Having wheedled change from my family, I bought some and sat awhile.
---I heard some noises and turned toward them. Ball fields and tennis courts stretched before me, full of people playing away.
---Suddenly aware of the time, I headed down the road to my family. Dozens of tall, leafy trees broke the afternoon sun. Here, too, people were around: picnicking, walking, holding hands, playing tag and other games.
--- And then , there they were: my family. Waiting for me at our Innocent Oasis of Deering Oaks. The first of many such visits we would make to our refuge from fear.

4  Thank GFBPHS
There are newer reviews for Deering Oaks Park

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

We stopped here after lunch to walk our dog and this park is wonderful. It was very big with lots of squirrels and trees. BUT there was a lot of trash that I saw. And some sketchy people.

1  Thank DanaCox
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I was looking for a nice playground for my 5 years old and he was really happy about this one. Overall, it's a nice park, a bit similar to Parc Lafontaine in Montréal but less crowded.

1  Thank Edna S
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This generally well-lighted and well-tended 55-acre (22-hectare) urban public park was designed in 1879. It lies within I-295 and Deering, Park, and Forest Avenues. It’s just a short walk or drive from downtown and hosts a farmer’s market and numerous regularly scheduled public events. Among its many family-friendly amenities are a castle, public restrooms, sidewalks, walking paths, a concrete footbridge, benches, picnic tables, a children’s wading pool, a baseball diamond, basketball courts, tennis courts, a skating pond, a duck house, a rose garden, seasonal lighting displays, a bandstand, and a children’s playground. Although safe during the day, like nearly any city park anywhere, it’s always wise to remain particularly alert if walking past it or in it after sunset; it closes at 9:30pm. The Park is particularly photogenic during spring flower blooms and fall foliage. I particularly like to visit it in these sasons.

4  Thank mainemountainbear
Reviewed 13 March 2013

It offers alot of nice outdoor activities. During the day is a great place and you can feed the ducks at the duck motel in the middle of the pond! once it starts getting dark I would not feel safe walking around this area.

2  Thank Robin W