“Another Great Stay in Portland, ME- Great Location Downtown.”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milton, Georgia
“Another Great Stay in Portland, ME- Great Location Downtown.”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

In a beautiful location in Downtown across from the Harbor. This Hotel is not your standard Hilton Garden inn. I was upgraded to a Suite and had Views of the Harbor from all rooms. So far all of my stays in Portland have been great. I just wish the weather was as good as the hotels. Maybe the hotels compensate for the poor weather.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank goliathtn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Clean, comfortable, great location within walking distance to pier, restaurants, shopping.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovestoeat12
Canberra Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

There are better value hotels in Portland Maine, and probably just as convenient. Breakfast was not included and outrageously over priced (get real Hlton!) But for lacation you get to be a street crossing away from the water front. And don't go up the hll to eat in the pricey restaurants sugggested by the hotel reception, go just across the road to eg the Irish Pub (see photo) or any of the other dozens of outlets for good quality food incl lobsters. The Oyster Bar was OK but a bit of a disappointment, but Becky's diner across the road and turn right walk about 400 mters, was a bit of fun for breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
12 Thank DRMB
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I contacted over 10 hotels/inns/B&Bs in Portland - from big chain hotels, to small upscale hotels, to Inns and B&Bs - to find out room rates for our first visit to Portland (for a vacation) with my husband and 10-year old. The customer service agent (Jen) was friendly, cheerful, eager to help, and informative without being pushy. She actually listened to my situation and made very helpful suggestions. And she got me information fast without treating me like she wanted to move on to the next client. I haven't actually stayed at the hotel yet (thus the 4 stars, not 5), but I thought it was worth writing up a review before my stay just for the great customer service experience! As far as I'm concerned, the Hilton gets top ratings for customer service and for making me feel well informed and good about visiting Portland.

Room Tip: Call, explain your situation, and always be nice.
Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Littlewonger
Fayetteville, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2011

What makes a good hotel? Hotel rooms are fairly similar. The restaurants and bars are similar. What makes a hotel good is the people working there and the way they treat their guests. The moment we drove up and met the valet, Gavin, we felt like a wet blanket had been thrown on us. He was rude beyond belief. He just stood there and watched while we unloaded the car and looked around for a luggage cart. He didn't help us at all. He made snide comments about the people in front of us, because they were not using the valet service. He had such a pompous attitude. A bit later, my husband went looking for ice. The ice machines on the second and third floors weren't working and didn't have out-of-order signs, so he went to the front desk to let them know and to get ice. Gavin was standing nearby, and said to my husband, why don't you just call room service? Haven't you stayed in a hotel before? Unbelievable! We stayed for 2 nights and every time we ran into Gavin, he glared or said something rude. When we left, while we were waiting for the other valet to bring our car around, Gavin started making comments about my husband’s shoes. When my husband told him to get away from him, this guy wouldn't leave us alone. Even as we were driving out of the driveway, he stood right in front of our car.

The front desk staff was friendly, but not very knowledgeable about their city. They did not have any brochures out, so when I asked for a map and some brochures of things to do, they had to look under the front desk. I got the map, but they asked what kind of things I wanted to do, so they could figure out what brochures to give me. As this was my first trip to Portland, I wasn't sure of all the things that the city had to offer, and being able to look at all the brochures and pick and choose for myself would have been most helpful.

All in all, we found the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront to be a not so friendly hotel for tourists. They seemed to be more geared toward the business traveler. Save yourself $100 a night and stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Airport.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
16 Thank BabaluTheGood
Rhode Island
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We came to Portland to catch a Sea Dogs game. We arrived around 2:30 to a surprisingly chilly Portland. Check-in was quick but I didn't like the idea of valet parking. We drove around to the valet and I felt immediately rushed, we had a lot to unload and organize. The valet was very helpful and patient. The room was big and looked clean. Unfortunately, my daughters dropped something under the couch which they found had not been cleaned as someone's old food was under there. Yuck! There were a couple of other housekeeping issues but not a big deal. The valet service ended up to be very good but it adds another $20 to $30 to your stay depending on the tips. Breakfast was good but that kind of offering used to be complimentary years ago. $12 per person is a lot, thankfully no charge for the kids. Very pretty hotel, would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
MA
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I would definitely stay here again when in Portland. The location is perfect. The valet and front desk are super friendly. The room was very clean with a small fridge and microwave.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family