“Good hotel with minimal problems”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Overall a good stay but this hotel has changed from when I last stayed here. It seemed more outdated and could use a makeover on the inside. The morning breakfast was good and had plentiful selections. The only real problem with my family we ran into was that our keys didn't work to get into our room and the person at front desk promptly issued new cards. Valet parking is nice and ready to assist you when you arrive, but parking itself isn't free and you get charged per night. I would also advise that this hotel doesn't offer in-room movies which was odd, but if you have a connector you could connect your computer to large flatscreen TV and just to note the WiFi speed is pretty decent for a hotel, but may be a little fussy.
Overall I would want to stay at this hotel again because the locations is key being adjacent to the waterfront and waterfront businesses I just hope they improve the hotel on the inside a little bit

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront

Reviewed 20 April 2012

This Hilton is pretty nice hotel. Feels like your standard chain Hilton Garden Inn. Nice little lobby with a bar. Rooms were good with comfy beds, desk, chair, and a big flat screen TV. It was very clean. But the hotel, like most chains, lacks any kind of real charm and felt like it could be anywhere.

The real thing that makes this hotel great is the location. It's right on the water and the best parts of downtown are within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view if you can.
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We can't say enough about our time at this hotel! From the valet to the front desk to the dining room staff we were amazed at the quality of service that was provided to us. The hotel was clean, the room impeccable! Would welcome a return visit anytime! Thank you!

1  Thank Tammy S
Reviewed 17 April 2012

That is all it has going for it. Tired dated and in need of more than just a little fresh paint. My bed was lumpy and there were sever tears in the sheets. When I went to leave I decided to just let them know about the sheets. I wasnt looking for a discount or anything just an FYI. What I got was a front desk person with attitude. Her statement to me was "well if you had something when you found the rip we could of done something but I can't justify giving you money back now." ah I was only letting her know. I was are to feel likea sleaze for reporting. I wont stay here again.

Room Tip: Try the Residence Inn Downtown I stead of this hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I am a huge fan of the Hilton brand hotels but was disappointed with this hotel. This is the only Hilton I have been to where the valet didn't open my car door or unload my luggage. They just stood there and waited for me to unload so they could take my car. As soon as I checked in - I wanted to take an afternoon nap but that didn't last long because they were banging on the pipes in the room under mine.

I was there 3 nights. The first night I ended up going to the hotel bar. The bartender was awsesome! I also went to the bar on my last night at 10:55 and I was told that I have 5 minutes to place my order because he was closing down the bar. We got our drinks sat down by the fire in the lobby. It was very nice until they decided to turn the fire off. :(

I also noticed that the chairs in the breakfast area were very worn and some of them were torn. The breakfast was great though.

Needless to say it wasn't the best experience. I will say that the location is the best. You can walk to everything. Lots of night life and great restaurants near by.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I traveled here for a girls getaway for a night. The location is perfect- we walked everywhere from this hotel. We were able to drop our car off with the valet before check -in which was nice because not only was the on-street parking hard to find, but the meters were only good for 2 hours. Check-in was smooth and the cookies and coffee in the lobby were a nice touch. The key cards were a little temperamental at times and hard to use. I had difficulty entering both the room and the fitness areas using the card. Our room was on the top (6th) floor and had amazing views of the water across the street. It was super clean and very spacious. I am not generally a good sleeper away from home, but found the bed very comfortable and actually slept decently. The bathroom was clean and there were plenty of towels. The shower pressure wasn't the best, but definitely adequate. The fitness area was small with 2 treadmills, an elliptical machine, some free weights, and a universal weight machine. It was super clean and had towels and water right there which was great. Overall, it was an excellent, although short, stay. We are already planning our trip for next year and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Request a top floor room facing the water.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This is a perfectly fine Hilton Garden Inn. The usual first qualifier applies: The breakfast is overpriced.

With that out of the way, the location is great. Valet parking is offered, is reasonably priced and service is prompt. The rooms, overall, are comfortable, however our specific bed never adjusted and, as such, was not very good to sleep on, less comfortable than the couch, as a matter of fact. Shower is appropriate for persons of size but not height, and the water pressure was underwhelming. Service, overall was prompt and friendly.

The bar/food was extremely underwhelming. The exercise room was also slightly below HGI standard. The office area is situated in the lobby, so if you need some degree of silence to do work, you're out of luck.

Here's the but. While this HGI is perfectly fine, and recommended, one block north is a Hampton Inn. It's basically as comfortable, has an attached garage and a much nicer restaurant built in, along with a free breakfast. It's you're call, really, but if nothing absolutely stands out about HGI over a Hampton Inn, then take the Hampton.

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms are, by and large, overrated since the hotel is directly across the street from a p...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple