My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront from 5/18 – 5/20. We were staying here for an early anniversary getaway.
I chose this hotel based mostly on location in Old Port, the good reviews here on TA, and the price. Being the time of year, and the limited hotels in Old Port, the price was about $250 a night. There were also graduations and proms going on that weekend so I am sure that also added to the price.
Check-in: We arrived right around noon on Friday and our room was not ready. No problem, we gave them our bags to hold and gave the gentleman working the desk our cell number (per his request) to call when the room was ready. We went out to start enjoying Portland and several hours later we realized we never received a call. At this point it was around 4pm so we decided to go back so we could get our room, get settled, and get ready to go back out for the night. We arrived to check-in and we told the new person working the desk that the person earlier took our number but never called like they said they would. They looked for the number for a few seconds but never found it. They apologized, got us checked-in, and retrieved our bags.
Since we kept ourselves busy, and we weren’t in a rush to get into our room, we didn’t really care that they never called. It was more of a fact that they didn’t do what they said they would do. Things happen so I will cut them a little slack on never calling but that knocks them down slightly on their rating for this review.
Room: We had a very nice room on the 6th (top) floor facing the harbor. It did look out on the roof of a parking garage but not a bad view overall. The room was nicely decorated with a king size bed, a desk, mini-fridge, chair with ottoman, a microwave, and a nice flat screen TV. It was an average to above average size room.
There were several things that I really liked about the room:
1. Free Wifi – It seemed to work well, I was able to connect and watch a TV show on my iPad with no problems. It seems a lot of hotels are charging for wifi these days so it is especially nice when your get one that is free
2. 2 bottled waters in the fridge. Always a plus and a nice touch
3. Flat screen TV that actually had High-Def cable. I have been in quite a few hotels where they had a flat screen TV and no High-Def cable. They certainly look better but they can almost be unwatchable at times without High-Def.
4. Spotless! I could not find any spots on the carpeting or anywhere else. Bathroom was just as clean as well
5. Adjustable bed? You supposedly can adjust the firmness of the mattress but I did not see any controls…not that I looked that hard. It seemed fine as it was so I didn’t continue to look for the controls but it is a nice feature for those of you that are particular about how firm/soft the mattress is
Things I did not like:
1. No safe – what is with the growing trend of not having a safe in the room? I have been in several hotels lately that haven’t had a safe.
2. Paying for parking – I am staying at your hotel…can you just build the parking in the price or charge a reduced rate? Parking is $15 a night.
Location – As most people have said in other reviews it is hard to beat the location. There are only a few hotels in the Old Port area to choose from but out of the 4-5 hotels in the area this probably is second best location (Hyatt is even closer to most things which is maybe only a 2 block difference) Nothing is more than a 15 min walk away and there are plenty of great restaurants, bars, and shops just steps away. There is a bakery across the parking lot and Fore Street Restaurant (pricey but very good) above that. There is the Flatbread Company across the street too which is one of my favorite casual restaurants when I am near one in New England.
Valet – Your only option for parking is to valet and like I just mentioned above it was $15 a night for parking. I have to say though the valets were extremely nice and helpful. They genuinely seemed like they wanted to help. A good example is, my wife sprained her ankle the first night and we had dinner reservations right around the corner. Since she was on crutches we asked the quickest way to get there and when they saw her condition they offered to give us a ride in the hotel van. Very nice! Then the next day when we were leaving, they opened the trunk/doors on our car, asked how the dinner was the night before, and asked if we needed directions to get out of the area. Again, very nice! How many times can you think of a valet leaving a good impression on you? To me that says something
We did not take advantage of anything else the hotel has to offer so I can’t comment on those things (restaurant, pool, etc)
So overall, this is a very good hotel and I would probably rate it a 4.5 or just below a 5. It has a great location, nice perks, very helpful valet people but the parking cost and not calling us knocked them down a notch.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to people and I would consider staying there again without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront Portland hotel in Portalnd, Maine is perfectly situated in the city's Historic Old Port District and offers fantastic views of Casco Bay and Portland's working waterfront. Everything is within walking distance and you will enjoy the convenience of boutique shopping, gourmet restaurants, and fabulous art galleries being nearby. Steps from our Portland, ME hotel's front door you will find the Portland Trails jogging path, fishing and sailing tours, as well as great family attractions. We're also conveniently located near area attractions such as Hadlock Field, home of the Red Sox affiliate Portland Seadogs, Portland Museum of Art, Merrill Auditorium and Cumberland County Civic Center. Beautiful Maine rocky coast and sand beaches are within a short drive!Hilton Garden Inn Portland, Maine Hotel Features...• 120 hotel guestrooms, many with ocean views• Great American Grill® serving a full service, made to order breakfast buffet• Evening hotel room service• Lobby bar serving dinner nightly• 2 state-of-the-art meeting rooms for groups from 2 to 50• On-site catering for meetings, receptions, breakfasts, lunches and dinners for small groups• 24-hour Pavilion Pantry convenience mart• Complimentary shuttle service (airport and local businesses)• Valet Parking• Complimentary 24-hour business center• Complimentary high-speed, wireless internet service throughout hotel• Indoor heated pool and whirlpool• Complimentary fitness facilityThe 120 oversized guestrooms at the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland feature...• Waterfront or Portland, Maine city views!• Complimentary secure printing to the 24-hour business center• Oversized work desk, ergonomic chair and desk level outlets• Two dual-line speakerphones with voicemail• Refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker• Iron, ironing board and hairdryer• USA Today each weekday morning• Non smoking and accessible rooms availableAttractions near the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland, ME include...• 5 miles from Portland International Airport• Within walking distance from the waterfront• 1/2 mile from I-295 and I-95• 1 mile from the Cumberland County Civic Center• 12 miles from Freeport, home of L.L. Bean• 10 miles from the famous lighthouses of Portland, MaineCome enjoy the hospitality at our Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland, Maine.***** Everything. Right where you need it. ***** ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront Hotel Portland
- Portland Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Portland
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront Maine