“Just missed out on a perfect score”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront from 5/18 – 5/20. We were staying here for an early anniversary getaway.

I chose this hotel based mostly on location in Old Port, the good reviews here on TA, and the price. Being the time of year, and the limited hotels in Old Port, the price was about $250 a night. There were also graduations and proms going on that weekend so I am sure that also added to the price.

Check-in: We arrived right around noon on Friday and our room was not ready. No problem, we gave them our bags to hold and gave the gentleman working the desk our cell number (per his request) to call when the room was ready. We went out to start enjoying Portland and several hours later we realized we never received a call. At this point it was around 4pm so we decided to go back so we could get our room, get settled, and get ready to go back out for the night. We arrived to check-in and we told the new person working the desk that the person earlier took our number but never called like they said they would. They looked for the number for a few seconds but never found it. They apologized, got us checked-in, and retrieved our bags.
Since we kept ourselves busy, and we weren’t in a rush to get into our room, we didn’t really care that they never called. It was more of a fact that they didn’t do what they said they would do. Things happen so I will cut them a little slack on never calling but that knocks them down slightly on their rating for this review.

Room: We had a very nice room on the 6th (top) floor facing the harbor. It did look out on the roof of a parking garage but not a bad view overall. The room was nicely decorated with a king size bed, a desk, mini-fridge, chair with ottoman, a microwave, and a nice flat screen TV. It was an average to above average size room.

There were several things that I really liked about the room:
1. Free Wifi – It seemed to work well, I was able to connect and watch a TV show on my iPad with no problems. It seems a lot of hotels are charging for wifi these days so it is especially nice when your get one that is free
2. 2 bottled waters in the fridge. Always a plus and a nice touch
3. Flat screen TV that actually had High-Def cable. I have been in quite a few hotels where they had a flat screen TV and no High-Def cable. They certainly look better but they can almost be unwatchable at times without High-Def.
4. Spotless! I could not find any spots on the carpeting or anywhere else. Bathroom was just as clean as well
5. Adjustable bed? You supposedly can adjust the firmness of the mattress but I did not see any controls…not that I looked that hard. It seemed fine as it was so I didn’t continue to look for the controls but it is a nice feature for those of you that are particular about how firm/soft the mattress is

Things I did not like:
1. No safe – what is with the growing trend of not having a safe in the room? I have been in several hotels lately that haven’t had a safe.
2. Paying for parking – I am staying at your hotel…can you just build the parking in the price or charge a reduced rate? Parking is $15 a night.

Location – As most people have said in other reviews it is hard to beat the location. There are only a few hotels in the Old Port area to choose from but out of the 4-5 hotels in the area this probably is second best location (Hyatt is even closer to most things which is maybe only a 2 block difference) Nothing is more than a 15 min walk away and there are plenty of great restaurants, bars, and shops just steps away. There is a bakery across the parking lot and Fore Street Restaurant (pricey but very good) above that. There is the Flatbread Company across the street too which is one of my favorite casual restaurants when I am near one in New England.

Valet – Your only option for parking is to valet and like I just mentioned above it was $15 a night for parking. I have to say though the valets were extremely nice and helpful. They genuinely seemed like they wanted to help. A good example is, my wife sprained her ankle the first night and we had dinner reservations right around the corner. Since she was on crutches we asked the quickest way to get there and when they saw her condition they offered to give us a ride in the hotel van. Very nice! Then the next day when we were leaving, they opened the trunk/doors on our car, asked how the dinner was the night before, and asked if we needed directions to get out of the area. Again, very nice! How many times can you think of a valet leaving a good impression on you? To me that says something

We did not take advantage of anything else the hotel has to offer so I can’t comment on those things (restaurant, pool, etc)

So overall, this is a very good hotel and I would probably rate it a 4.5 or just below a 5. It has a great location, nice perks, very helpful valet people but the parking cost and not calling us knocked them down a notch.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to people and I would consider staying there again without hesitation.

4  Thank srauhala
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and the location was perfect. There are a ton of things to see and do without needing your car, and some great rides to take if you want to drive up the coast a little farther. The staff were very friends, and the views from our room over the water were fantastic. The size of the room (2 queens) was much larger than expected.
The weekend brunch is also very good - eggs cooked to order with a large selection of hot and cold choices (bacon, french toast, sausage, pancakes, pastries, cereals - even a waffle iron).
I never expect free wifi in larger hotels (since they usually have business guests who can expense the charge), so the fact that Hilton includes free wifi for everyone was a welcome treat.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

The Garden Inn downtown is in a good location for exploring the Old Port area of Portland. Our room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Wifi is free in the hotel. The only downside was a rude and unhelpful check in person. We would stay here again though.

1  Thank bevchris
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My husband and I stayed one night at this hotel. The location is excellent if you want to be able to walk to dinner and around downtown Portland. It was worth paying for the valet parking. The room was nice and spacious and the staff very friendly.

1  Thank bes166
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This is a clean and friendly hotel with the perfect location in downtown Portland. It is far enough away from the busier parts of downtown but very close to great restaurants and a most delicious bakery. I have absolutely nothing to complain about here!

1  Thank mstay5096
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The hotel was great, the staff were very friendly, and the location was perfect. For the mornings, a great bakery with good coffee is situated on the other side of the parking lot. The Fore Street Grill sits above the bakery and is one of the best restaurants on the east coast and relatively reasonable. Back to the hotel... the room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. Parking was easy - $15/day but well worth it. Everything in Old Port is a short walk away. I plan to stay here with my wife the next time we head up to Portland.

1  Thank WinebytheTiber
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Terrific harbor views and quiet rooms The entire staff from the Valet to the Housekeepers was friendly and attentive making us feel welcomed. All wanted to ensure we had a pleasant stay at their hotel and had great tips for where to go for dinner, drinks, and sightseeing.

The room and entire hotel was very clean and comfortable. Our room had a mini refrigerator and microwave which came in handy. The hotel is only steps from the harbor and many restaurants and shops.

We took advantage of the breakfast buffet and all the food was fresh and hot. A great way to start your day.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
1  Thank DodgerMom668