“Perfect location, even better service.”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“Perfect location, even better service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Chose this hotel for a 3-night family stay in Portland. The location is fantastic: right on Commercial Street, which runs along Portland's harbor. Like I said, perfect location.

But what you CAN'T tell from a map is how fantastic the people are. I've never stayed at this chain before, so don't know how widespread the service quality might be. But these folks act like they work at the Four Seasons. )And trust me, I've stayed at the Four Seasons. This was not my first rodeo.)

The moment we arrived, the parking valets jumped out of their shoes to help. Friendly, warm, welcoming, etc. We stepped inside to find the same attitude at the front desk. Not just flight-attendant smiles, but genuinely warm greetings. Like they really WERE happy to have us.

One ridiculous example of how they operate: our room clock was an hour off, and could only be adjusted by unscrewing the bottom panel. So on my way out, I asked someone at the desk to please have it fixed. Upon my return, it was. No biggie, right?

Right. Until the next morning when we received a hand-written note from the manager apologizing for the inconveniences of the clock being wrong and the need to make a service call. And for our "troubles", she gave us a coupon for free breakfast for the entire family. ALL BECAUSE WE ASKED THEM TO ADJUST THE CLOCK!!!

One evening when we were having dessert in the lobby, Patty (?) stepped out from behind the desk and walked over just to ask how we were, how we were enjoying our trip, etc. Again, unprompted, unexpected, unnecessary courtesy. The definition of warm, welcoming service.

I'm no VIP. I don't have a million Hilton Honors points. I made this reservation through Expedia, so they had no reason to think I deserved any special attention. But they acted like I was a 5-star guest in a 5-star hotel. Really extraordinary.

All this for a $199/night hotel, a price comparable to several other choices in town during the July high season. But I don't believe for a minute I would have received this level of service at any of the other properties.

The hotel itself is quite nice. Large, clean comfortable rooms, nice bar and lobby, good hot/cold breakfast buffet (free for kids). What you'd expect at the nicer end of this category, in what feels like a pretty new property.

But the service was unexpected, in every way imaginable.

On my next trip to Portland, I won't consider staying anywhere else. And on my next trip anywhere, I'll be sure to see if there's a Hilton Garden Inn in the area. I'm very curious to see if this stay was evidence of a great property, or a great chain.

Room Tip: It's not a very tall property, maybe six stories. The upper floors are more likely to offer natu...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ajeske

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I were in Portland for one night this past Sunday and chose this Hilton Garden Inn because it was on the waterfront. The location is fabulous and the hotel is in great shape. I've stayed at other Hilton Garden Inn's both with the kids and on business and really like this chain. This one was the nicest one we've stayed in. It has the feel of a more upscale hotel. I read some complaints about the price and really can't comment on that because we used our Hilton Honors points. The room was spacious and comfortable. I will say the bathroom/shower had a slight mildew smell but it was not that bad. All in all I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kkoplon
Duxbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We were really pleased with the friendly service- quick check in, and we also received a knock at the door soon after we were in the room, with housekeeping checking in to make sure the room was to our liking. We also received a telephone call later on in the day to make sure we were satisfied. This was all a first for us! Our kids (ages 7 and 9) loved the indoor pool- they swam there for hours. The beds (and pillows!) were amazing, and we had a great nights sleep. The hotel lobby was very nice, and we hung out and relaxed there for a few hours one of the nights. Everyone was friendly and accomodating. And a fantastic spot! Right near all of the shopping and restaurants! A special thank you to Aaron for being so helpful-I'm sure that Hilton Garden Inn knows how lucky they are to have you!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank duxmom
GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Nice hotel but too pricey. Though located on Commerical, other hotels one street over are just as convenient, cost less, sleep the same and provide breakfast. Next time we'll stay one street over and save $$. I gave 3 stars because it was a very nice hotel but way overpriced.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank govtmule
Troy, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

rather stiff rate but it was booked fully. rooms are nice std chain hotel. it has a real fridge [better], no mini bar. microwave and hair dryer. the a/c is on a program. at night it changes to a warmer temp. this part sucks. you wake up in a sweat, for this kind of coin it should stay set cold if that is the way i want it. cheapo corporate guys. breakfast buffett for $12 bucks is a good deal. everbody was nice.

Room Tip: if you are driving it is $15 to park your car plus tip.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Downtown waterfront location, very convenient, clean, great service, friendly and the best of all, pet friendly. There is a modest one time pet fee of $50 which covers as many nights as you stay. There are walking trails close by, a beach for the dogs. Location is directly downtown with access to many pubs and restaurants. No need to use the car. Easy walking distance to the Ferry which goes over to Peaks Island which is a great place to walk and have lunch. No car required as you can walk or rent a bicycle. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dunchideock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

A one night stay on the way up to bar harbor provided an ideal location to valet park, throw the luggage in the roon and wander around the small waterfront area interspersed with restaurants. Hotel was ideally situated, clean with friendly staff. A good overnight choice.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family