Chose this hotel for a 3-night family stay in Portland. The location is fantastic: right on Commercial Street, which runs along Portland's harbor. Like I said, perfect location.
But what you CAN'T tell from a map is how fantastic the people are. I've never stayed at this chain before, so don't know how widespread the service quality might be. But these folks act like they work at the Four Seasons. )And trust me, I've stayed at the Four Seasons. This was not my first rodeo.)
The moment we arrived, the parking valets jumped out of their shoes to help. Friendly, warm, welcoming, etc. We stepped inside to find the same attitude at the front desk. Not just flight-attendant smiles, but genuinely warm greetings. Like they really WERE happy to have us.
One ridiculous example of how they operate: our room clock was an hour off, and could only be adjusted by unscrewing the bottom panel. So on my way out, I asked someone at the desk to please have it fixed. Upon my return, it was. No biggie, right?
Right. Until the next morning when we received a hand-written note from the manager apologizing for the inconveniences of the clock being wrong and the need to make a service call. And for our "troubles", she gave us a coupon for free breakfast for the entire family. ALL BECAUSE WE ASKED THEM TO ADJUST THE CLOCK!!!
One evening when we were having dessert in the lobby, Patty (?) stepped out from behind the desk and walked over just to ask how we were, how we were enjoying our trip, etc. Again, unprompted, unexpected, unnecessary courtesy. The definition of warm, welcoming service.
I'm no VIP. I don't have a million Hilton Honors points. I made this reservation through Expedia, so they had no reason to think I deserved any special attention. But they acted like I was a 5-star guest in a 5-star hotel. Really extraordinary.
All this for a $199/night hotel, a price comparable to several other choices in town during the July high season. But I don't believe for a minute I would have received this level of service at any of the other properties.
The hotel itself is quite nice. Large, clean comfortable rooms, nice bar and lobby, good hot/cold breakfast buffet (free for kids). What you'd expect at the nicer end of this category, in what feels like a pretty new property.
But the service was unexpected, in every way imaginable.
On my next trip to Portland, I won't consider staying anywhere else. And on my next trip anywhere, I'll be sure to see if there's a Hilton Garden Inn in the area. I'm very curious to see if this stay was evidence of a great property, or a great chain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront Portland hotel in Portalnd, Maine is perfectly situated in the city's Historic Old Port District and offers fantastic views of Casco Bay and Portland's working waterfront. Everything is within walking distance and you will enjoy the convenience of boutique shopping, gourmet restaurants, and fabulous art galleries being nearby. Steps from our Portland, ME hotel's front door you will find the Portland Trails jogging path, fishing and sailing tours, as well as great family attractions. We're also conveniently located near area attractions such as Hadlock Field, home of the Red Sox affiliate Portland Seadogs, Portland Museum of Art, Merrill Auditorium and Cumberland County Civic Center. Beautiful Maine rocky coast and sand beaches are within a short drive!Hilton Garden Inn Portland, Maine Hotel Features...• 120 hotel guestrooms, many with ocean views• Great American Grill® serving a full service, made to order breakfast buffet• Evening hotel room service• Lobby bar serving dinner nightly• 2 state-of-the-art meeting rooms for groups from 2 to 50• On-site catering for meetings, receptions, breakfasts, lunches and dinners for small groups• 24-hour Pavilion Pantry convenience mart• Complimentary shuttle service (airport and local businesses)• Valet Parking• Complimentary 24-hour business center• Complimentary high-speed, wireless internet service throughout hotel• Indoor heated pool and whirlpool• Complimentary fitness facilityThe 120 oversized guestrooms at the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland feature...• Waterfront or Portland, Maine city views!• Complimentary secure printing to the 24-hour business center• Oversized work desk, ergonomic chair and desk level outlets• Two dual-line speakerphones with voicemail• Refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker• Iron, ironing board and hairdryer• USA Today each weekday morning• Non smoking and accessible rooms availableAttractions near the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland, ME include...• 5 miles from Portland International Airport• Within walking distance from the waterfront• 1/2 mile from I-295 and I-95• 1 mile from the Cumberland County Civic Center• 12 miles from Freeport, home of L.L. Bean• 10 miles from the famous lighthouses of Portland, MaineCome enjoy the hospitality at our Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland, Maine.***** Everything. Right where you need it. ***** ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront Hotel Portland
- Portland Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Portland
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront Maine