Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Room Service
1,579 results
All reviewsgreat locationfront deskold portvalet parkingstandard baking companystandard bakerywithin walking distancecasco bay linescommercial streetwater viewferry terminaldowntown waterfrontvalet servicedirectly across the streetbreakfast buffetfore streetshops and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed here a couple weeks ago. The location is splendid, right near the Standard Bakery, RIRA and Flat Bread Company. Valet parking is nice, but costs an additional $15 per night. There is also convenient public parking right across the street. The rooms are clean, room service is very attentive and the pool is a great touch.

If you like to run or bike, you have extremely easy access to Portland's extensive trail network. We enjoyed are runs along the bay. Flatbread Company across the street and the Standard bakery are a must visit. Also, it is within walking distance to several breweries or brewpubs.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012

with 4, reluctantly, it is a great location, service was excellent, the bar and breakfast service were great. But...the room was so nothing special - and as a previous poster mentioned the A/C and HVAC wasn't up to snuff. I am sure that is only an issue a few weeks a year but I was hot and uncomfortable so that's a deal breaker. Also, very noisy and a dog bothered me all night one night. I would stay there again but I'll certainly try the competitors too.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Excellent location on commercial street, near lots of food and beverage establishments. We paid a lot for our room but location made it worthwhile

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Chose this hotel for a 3-night family stay in Portland. The location is fantastic: right on Commercial Street, which runs along Portland's harbor. Like I said, perfect location.

But what you CAN'T tell from a map is how fantastic the people are. I've never stayed at this chain before, so don't know how widespread the service quality might be. But these folks act like they work at the Four Seasons. )And trust me, I've stayed at the Four Seasons. This was not my first rodeo.)

The moment we arrived, the parking valets jumped out of their shoes to help. Friendly, warm, welcoming, etc. We stepped inside to find the same attitude at the front desk. Not just flight-attendant smiles, but genuinely warm greetings. Like they really WERE happy to have us.

One ridiculous example of how they operate: our room clock was an hour off, and could only be adjusted by unscrewing the bottom panel. So on my way out, I asked someone at the desk to please have it fixed. Upon my return, it was. No biggie, right?

Right. Until the next morning when we received a hand-written note from the manager apologizing for the inconveniences of the clock being wrong and the need to make a service call. And for our "troubles", she gave us a coupon for free breakfast for the entire family. ALL BECAUSE WE ASKED THEM TO ADJUST THE CLOCK!!!

One evening when we were having dessert in the lobby, Patty (?) stepped out from behind the desk and walked over just to ask how we were, how we were enjoying our trip, etc. Again, unprompted, unexpected, unnecessary courtesy. The definition of warm, welcoming service.

I'm no VIP. I don't have a million Hilton Honors points. I made this reservation through Expedia, so they had no reason to think I deserved any special attention. But they acted like I was a 5-star guest in a 5-star hotel. Really extraordinary.

All this for a $199/night hotel, a price comparable to several other choices in town during the July high season. But I don't believe for a minute I would have received this level of service at any of the other properties.

The hotel itself is quite nice. Large, clean comfortable rooms, nice bar and lobby, good hot/cold breakfast buffet (free for kids). What you'd expect at the nicer end of this category, in what feels like a pretty new property.

But the service was unexpected, in every way imaginable.

On my next trip to Portland, I won't consider staying anywhere else. And on my next trip anywhere, I'll be sure to see if there's a Hilton Garden Inn in the area. I'm very curious to see if this stay was evidence of a great property, or a great chain.

Room Tip: It's not a very tall property, maybe six stories. The upper floors are more likely to offer natural light, and better views out front to the harbor if you're on that side.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ajeske
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I were in Portland for one night this past Sunday and chose this Hilton Garden Inn because it was on the waterfront. The location is fabulous and the hotel is in great shape. I've stayed at other Hilton Garden Inn's both with the kids and on business and really like this chain. This one was the nicest one we've stayed in. It has the feel of a more upscale hotel. I read some complaints about the price and really can't comment on that because we used our Hilton Honors points. The room was spacious and comfortable. I will say the bathroom/shower had a slight mildew smell but it was not that bad. All in all I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple