We traveled to Maine on vacation and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn the first week of April 2013. This hotel has everything good going for it. It sits on Commercial street across from the harbor and is in the perfect location. The hotel is ideally suited for business travelers and most of the clientele appeared to be such. It is perfect for the vacationer, and I am very pleased we selected this hotel. The staff are professional and friendly. Parking is valet-only, and this, too, worked very well (I normally avoid valet parking, but I found their service to be excellent).
We always travel with our pet, a small, well-behaved Bullmastiff. The hotel's pet policy is superb. The hotel charge's a one-time pet cleaning fee that is reasonable. This makes me feel that the rooms are well taken care of for guests, and this is what we found. The room was spotless, modern, and well appointed. Internet service includes both Wifi and ethernet. The Wifi always worked well, and ethernet is available for security.
All of the staff were very professional and friendly. There are fresh-baked cookies at the check-in desk each evening.
We did not try room service or the Hilton restaurants so I can not comment on these. The restaurants appeared to be clean, modern and well-maintained. There are many nice shops and restaurants close to the hotel that are open early in the morning and late at night. If you travel to Maine, I recommend trying the local restaurants. The people are VERY friendly, the food is great.
Portland is a really nice town, just the perfect size for vacation. There are many things to do, and travel is easy. The Hilton Garden Inn sits close to the walking trails and is directly across from the
Casco Bay ferries. If you have the time, take the ferry on the trip to the islands (called the mail run). It is a pretty boat trip. Because the Hilton sits near the Casco terminal, you need to only walk across the street to enjoy this. Downtown Portland fills up at night. Most parking places are taken. Staying at the Hilton makes it easy to enjoy much of the things to do in Portland.
If you have the time, drive to Freeport, Maine, just 15 minutes from the Hilton. Here you will find a really neat village with nice shops and restaurants. The LL Bean campus of stores is worth the trip.
If you want to see Acadia National Park, it is a 3 hour drive to the north. If your goal is to do a lot of summer hiking in the park, you will probably want to stay in the Bar Harbor area. Acadia is fairly small. If you want to drive through the park to see all of the coastal beauty, this can be done easily in a one day round-trip from Portland.
One last word on Portland and Maine in general. The people go out of their way to be friendly, and this is the most dog-friendly state I have seen (have been to 49 states). I regret waiting so long to visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront Portland hotel in Portalnd, Maine is perfectly situated in the city's Historic Old Port District and offers fantastic views of Casco Bay and Portland's working waterfront. Everything is within walking distance and you will enjoy the convenience of boutique shopping, gourmet restaurants, and fabulous art galleries being nearby. Steps from our Portland, ME hotel's front door you will find the Portland Trails jogging path, fishing and sailing tours, as well as great family attractions. We're also conveniently located near area attractions such as Hadlock Field, home of the Red Sox affiliate Portland Seadogs, Portland Museum of Art, Merrill Auditorium and Cumberland County Civic Center. Beautiful Maine rocky coast and sand beaches are within a short drive!Hilton Garden Inn Portland, Maine Hotel Features...• 120 hotel guestrooms, many with ocean views• Great American Grill® serving a full service, made to order breakfast buffet• Evening hotel room service• Lobby bar serving dinner nightly• 2 state-of-the-art meeting rooms for groups from 2 to 50• On-site catering for meetings, receptions, breakfasts, lunches and dinners for small groups• 24-hour Pavilion Pantry convenience mart• Complimentary shuttle service (airport and local businesses)• Valet Parking• Complimentary 24-hour business center• Complimentary high-speed, wireless internet service throughout hotel• Indoor heated pool and whirlpool• Complimentary fitness facilityThe 120 oversized guestrooms at the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland feature...• Waterfront or Portland, Maine city views!• Complimentary secure printing to the 24-hour business center• Oversized work desk, ergonomic chair and desk level outlets• Two dual-line speakerphones with voicemail• Refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker• Iron, ironing board and hairdryer• USA Today each weekday morning• Non smoking and accessible rooms availableAttractions near the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland, ME include...• 5 miles from Portland International Airport• Within walking distance from the waterfront• 1/2 mile from I-295 and I-95• 1 mile from the Cumberland County Civic Center• 12 miles from Freeport, home of L.L. Bean• 10 miles from the famous lighthouses of Portland, MaineCome enjoy the hospitality at our Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Portland, Maine.***** Everything. Right where you need it. ***** ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront Hotel Portland
- Portland Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Portland
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront Maine