“Great Location and Staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I enjoyed the pool, fitness center and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Fore St. and The Standard Baking Co are right behind the hotel so you can walk to have a great breakfast and dinner. The hotel was clean

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
HiltonGardenInnGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to write a positive review of our hotel. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!
Kevin Walker - General Manager

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront

Reviewed 5 May 2013

The hotel was the first of the now a deluge of new hotels right in the downtown core. And there are 3 more coming! I have enjoyed and gotten used to this hotel, the valet parking works, the staff is great. I might not eat there as there is so much better within easy walking distance. But they have 'issues' guaranteeing you a room.

My beef is i have now stayed there 6 times. The first time they offered the top floor, which was great. The rooms are different and worth the price. the problem is i just booked for the 7th time - and for the 5th time i have asked to be able to book and prepay for a top floor room, and for the 5th time i was told they cannot guarantee a particular floor or view up there. I am booking 30 DAYS in advance, not a weekend and they clearly know now if a floor ( i am not asking for a particular just the top floor. I politely offered the reservations clerk this will be my last visit if my request for the top floor is not accepted.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
HiltonGardenInnGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to fill out a Trip Advisor review. Though I am happy to hear of your positive comments, I am also sorry to hear of your frustrations related to the room floor requests you had. We try very hard to satisfy all of our guests when it comes to these arrangements. I can see where you are coming from, since you are a repeat guest of ours and have given us a lot of business over the years. If you contact me directly for your next reservations, I will personally oversee the requests and do everything I can to take good care of you.

Warm Regards,
Kevin Walker

Reviewed 23 April 2013

My husband and I and our two little girls stayed here for the weekend and it was great! We were able to walk to almost everything and the weather wasn't even that great. Nice view of the water...although we paid $20 extra for it. The valey parking for $15 was really annoying, especially once I saw there was a parking garage right across the street! Staff was super friendly!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
HiltonGardenInnGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your stay with us! I am sorry for the poor communication about the valet parking. We charge $15 per night with in & out privileges whenever our guests need their vehicles. The garage across the street that you mentioned is $36 per day and they close between the hours of 1am - 6am. Parking is just very scarce all around in Portland, especially in Old Port where we are located. We hope to see you again soon! - Kevin Walker, GM

Reviewed 23 April 2013

It's clean, it's comfortable, and the staff is friendly. And the fact that it has the best location in town, right on the waterfront, makes this the must-stay hotel in Portland. Rooms are spacious. Only complaint would be somewhat lame shower water pressure and a slow drain. But we don't come to Portland to live in our hotel room! We will always make this our stop when we visit this cool town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elvis355
HiltonGardenInnGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time write out a review of our hotel. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be following upon the shower pressure comment, as we do not hear that very often. - Kevin Walker, GM

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We traveled to Maine on vacation and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn the first week of April 2013. This hotel has everything good going for it. It sits on Commercial street across from the harbor and is in the perfect location. The hotel is ideally suited for business travelers and most of the clientele appeared to be such. It is perfect for the vacationer, and I am very pleased we selected this hotel. The staff are professional and friendly. Parking is valet-only, and this, too, worked very well (I normally avoid valet parking, but I found their service to be excellent).

We always travel with our pet, a small, well-behaved Bullmastiff. The hotel's pet policy is superb. The hotel charge's a one-time pet cleaning fee that is reasonable. This makes me feel that the rooms are well taken care of for guests, and this is what we found. The room was spotless, modern, and well appointed. Internet service includes both Wifi and ethernet. The Wifi always worked well, and ethernet is available for security.

All of the staff were very professional and friendly. There are fresh-baked cookies at the check-in desk each evening.

We did not try room service or the Hilton restaurants so I can not comment on these. The restaurants appeared to be clean, modern and well-maintained. There are many nice shops and restaurants close to the hotel that are open early in the morning and late at night. If you travel to Maine, I recommend trying the local restaurants. The people are VERY friendly, the food is great.

Portland is a really nice town, just the perfect size for vacation. There are many things to do, and travel is easy. The Hilton Garden Inn sits close to the walking trails and is directly across from the
Casco Bay ferries. If you have the time, take the ferry on the trip to the islands (called the mail run). It is a pretty boat trip. Because the Hilton sits near the Casco terminal, you need to only walk across the street to enjoy this. Downtown Portland fills up at night. Most parking places are taken. Staying at the Hilton makes it easy to enjoy much of the things to do in Portland.

If you have the time, drive to Freeport, Maine, just 15 minutes from the Hilton. Here you will find a really neat village with nice shops and restaurants. The LL Bean campus of stores is worth the trip.

If you want to see Acadia National Park, it is a 3 hour drive to the north. If your goal is to do a lot of summer hiking in the park, you will probably want to stay in the Bar Harbor area. Acadia is fairly small. If you want to drive through the park to see all of the coastal beauty, this can be done easily in a one day round-trip from Portland.

One last word on Portland and Maine in general. The people go out of their way to be friendly, and this is the most dog-friendly state I have seen (have been to 49 states). I regret waiting so long to visit.

Room Tip: Harbor facing rooms are best.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We were traveling from upper Maine on the way back to NC. The plan had been to stay a little north of Portland, but when I found this hotel and the rate, I couldn't resist staying on the waterfront! The staff was nice, the room was large and very clean... but the view was amazing!! We even had a rainbow... double ended! When we got in it was later than we'd hoped and had not time to look for local restaurants. One of the staff recommended J's Oyster Bar and it was perfect for us! No frills, but great food and definitely where the locals were! Final word from the front desk when we came in from dinner and I commented on the great view, (he) mentioned getting up to see the sunrise from our room.. Truly was glorious! Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

If you want to shop, eat, drink and be merry, visit Hilton DownTown Portland. Great location, lots to see and very convenient!! Great spot for Girls Weekend, lots of exiting and fun during St. Patrick's Day....even the Pope was there!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends