“Nicer Garden Inn”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, CA
“Nicer Garden Inn”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is one of the nicer Hilton Garden Inn's I've visited. Room was newer, clean and well stocked with coffee service, microwave and mini refer that didn't hum all night. Staff was polite and accommodating. Breakfast service was quick and satisfactory. I was here on business so I didn't get a chance to experience too much of downtown Portland. I understand this is a fantastic location for shopping downtown.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
HiltonGardenInnGM, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Maybe next time your stay will be for leisure and you will be able to experience all that the Old Port has to offer! Best wishes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My partner and I visit Portland every now and then for the last 9 years because his family lives there. So we've stayed at a few different places. This Hilton is pretty new -- just within the last 2-3 years I think -- and location-wise it couldn't be beat. Staying in the Old Port when in Portland is an absolute must. It's so charming, and you're steps away from the wharf and there are tons of restaurants, coffee shops and stores/boutiques everywhere.

Everything about our stay here was great. We reserved a basic room so we didn't get anything fancy, but even the basic room was HUGE. Modern, comfy, spacious... and the lobby also has a restaurant and bar area if you want to have friends meet you there. Another great thing was a KILLER breakfast for only $11.95/person. And I loved that you could (literally) cross the street and be on the wharf, watching the lobster boats go in and out. I also recommend taking the ferry (also right across the street) out to Peak's Island and have a walk around the island's perimeter. It's beautiful. Also of note: they have a workout room and a heated pool.

Another bonus: this hotel is right next door to the Standard Baking Company, which will become your new addiction. When we return to Maine for future family visits, this is now our default hotel. Loved it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you had a great time and that's exactly what we like to hear! We hope to see you again next year or sooner. Best wishes.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 October 2013

After staying in so many large hotels, we booked this smaller hotel for four nights! Great location!! I do not believe I can think of one single thing, from check-in to check-out that I could complain about. Every need was handled! Rooms were a good size with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker, views were nice, staff was superb. Loved the complimentary beverages available at all times, from hot chocolate and hot apple cider to coffee and tea. The morning host was wonderful and I told my husband that I conferred with our "Maine Tour Director" each morning when I went down for coffee to take back to the room. I hope all Hilton Garden Inns are as nice as the waterfront location in Portland and I will continue to search them out as we travel. Our last surprise was in our valet-parked rental car...two bags of Maine Maple popcorn on the console! So sweet of the staff! Perfect ending to a totally perfect stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hote. I couldn't be happier to read about your experience with us and hope that you have the same experience whenever you stay at a Hilton Garden Inn. We hope to see you again in the future! Best wishes.
Camden, Maine
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stay here fairly regularly on business. The staff are very friendly and make every effort to provide great service. The valets often keep my car near the door for my frequent comings and goings. The location in the Old Port is perfect to enjoy shopping or the many restaurants. The bar area is comfortable and nice to return to after a long day working. Portland hotels are getting pricey for a small city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you had another great stay! You're right. The Portland area can be a bit expensive but that is largely due to the high demand for hotel rooms. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay. Best wishes.
Spring, Texas
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We enjoyed this hotel for one night. Our room was spacious (even with a motorized wheelchair) and included a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The view of the harbor and waterfront was nice. I thought the hotel was on the expensive side especially since breakfast was not included. There is no available parking so your car must be valeted. The breakfast was good and was around $15.00 each. There is a very nice bakery next door if you'd prefer that. The staff was informative and helpful. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to face the waterfront.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We certainly appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall. We hope to see you again. Best wishes.
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and I were visiting my daughter, who lives about a mile from the hotel, so it was very convenient. One of the great extras, even before you check-in, is that they have a free shuttle from the Portland airport to the hotel. You can see part of the harbor right from the hotel, and you can walk to all of the shops, restaurants and sites very easily. Portland is a lovely city, and I think the best way to see it properly is to walk around.

We had a large room with two queen size beds, that overlooked a bakery. The furnishings are in good conditions, but I did find the bed a little soft. The room palate is in soft, neutral colors. The room included a large 42" set, with a reasonably good selection of HD channels.

For most of the day, hot coffee, tea and coco is provided, and in the late afternoon/early evening the staff puts outs gourmet cookies at the front desk.

As we went a little off-season, mid to late October, I thought the room was a little overpriced, but other comparable hotels in the area were charging about the same rates.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor--and check out Standard Baking, right next door, for great (and ine...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your business. I'm glad to hear that your accomidations were to your liking and that you took advantage of our complimentary cookies and coffee station. See you next time! Best wishes.
Cadiz
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We were very pleased from start to finish. Making the reservations was a pleasure and the hotel did an excellent job confirming our arrival. We were unable to utilize the hotel shuttle from the airport, and the hotel accommodated us by paying for a taxi since the shuttle was unavailable at that time. How great not to have to wait at the airport. We truly enjoyed our stay. Thanks to the entire staff.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad to hear you had such a positive experience from beginning to end. We hope to serve you again in the future. Best wishes.