“Where's the squid?”

Eventide Oyster Company
Ranked #14 of 642 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Just opened and is owned by Hugo's next door. Excellent "tapas" small plate seafood. Oysters from Maine and away. Incredible cured Artic Char.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was treated to my first ever oyster, and then ordered the squid, coleslaw, and the battered hake. I'm sure the oyster was quality and it just didn't suit my taste (to me it tasted like an old sea and engine oil soaked rope, and yes, I do know what that tastes like, having grown up on the sea). The coleslaw I thought quite good, as was the hake. However, the squid was a small puddle of pretension smothered in some sauce, so I couldn't taste the squid at all, and actually washed off the sauce by dipping my squid in my water. Not only could I not taste any squid, I couldn't tell if what I was eating was squid or some julienned vegetable. Sad. I loved squid and octopus, too, and it does have it own subtle taste which needs coaxing out, not smothering.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,556)

Reviewed 4 April 2014

So we had Oysters at another location (see my review of J's Oysters) and were not fully satisfied so we decided to go here. Firstly everywhere is Portland is small and seating limited so i would assume on a weekend these places are slammed. This place is a foodie delight,.

We ordered the following:

Variety of local oysters, now based on the menu posted you can see they are a little expensive but let me tell you they were amazing. we got the shaved Siracha sauce OMG you will love it if you love spicy.

Fried mussels, very small but the plate had about 10 on it and they were melt in your mouth delicious.

Lobster roll, now this thing was outrageous!!! Only issue here is that for 14$ i think it is too small, the waitress did tell me it was small but 2 bites small each is tough to swallow. I did split it with someone else because we were on a food revolution and were eating at multiple places that night.

Bottom line a must visit - great food, great service, just great.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Eventide is a small restaurant that doesn't take reservations, but is worth the wait if you're there at a busy time. This restaurant is so tasty that I made a special trip for the lobster roll and oysters traveling back from Florida to Wisconsin. The staff is very friendly, oysters are great and the lobster roll with brown butter vinaigrette...amazing. Oysters are just so good here and I had a ton around the area. After several visits to Portland the past four months, Eventide is one of my favorites. On my last visit, I had a local accompany me who raved about the chowder and roll. The oyster roll should also not be missed. If you are able to go at an off time, it makes the experience that much more personal. One of my faves.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Maine boasts the best oysters in the US and this is the perfect place to get them! The menu is pretty much all oyster based, so don't go there expecting to get anything else. It's a lovely spot to stop for a drink and a plate of raw oysters before continuing on with your sightseeing!
After lobster, oysters in Maine is the thing you should definitely try!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

While staying in Portland, my boyfriend and I popped in to try their oysters. They were excellent, especially the tabasco ice. But the real winner for me was the chickpea fries. I've never tried anything like it! Really great service and great beer/wine selection.